Non Paleo Vegetables

Options
efirkey
efirkey Posts: 298 Member
Well for the last four days I thought I was eating Paleo, but it turns out that the green beans that I had are not Paleo.

I am pretty clear on what no sugar, no dairy, no wheat are, but I still mess up vegetables.

Can someone make a list of all the vegetables that are not Paleo and are often confused for being Paleo. It seems my options for vegetables are getting smaller all the time And also add any fruits we are supposed to avoid. Thanks.

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    green beans are paleo, they have a big pod. Peas are not if they are shelled. If you eat them in the pod it's better, but they are sketchy. No soy in any shape or form (this means no edamame). Corn is not paleo.

Some think white potatoes are not, others say they are fine (along with sweet potatoes).

Fruits are pretty much fine, but berries are better for you than anything else, followed by citrus, and then stuff like apples, pears, melons.. The issue with them is more from a fat loss perspective, not necessarily a paleo perspective.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I remember Mark Sisson did a piece about green beans a while ago: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-peas-and-green-beans-healthy/#axzz2SA0REvsO
    So they aren't totally bad for you, but one of those to eat occasionally, from his standpoint. and it's because it's actually a legume (the "bean" part), not a vegetable.

With that said, I don't know of any REAL "veggie" or fruit then, that is off-limits, unless you have specific reasons: allergy, intolerance, etc (I'm sure there are other reasons I'm not thinking of). Corn is a grain, soybeans are legumes, etc. What other vegetables do you think you need to avoid?

Some folks need to avoid nightshades: potatoes (including sweet), tomatoes, eggplant, etc even though they are paleo. Higher carb foods might need to be avoided by those who need a lower carb intake.

And finally, I view things like grains, corn, soybeans, peanuts, and other beans/legumes as things I *don't* eat, vs "can't" eat. I choose not to eat them, not restrict myself. I don't eat apples, because they make me hungry 45 minutes later (even with a meal), it's not that I can't eat them, I choose not to. Different mindset helps me.
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    Here's a good article from Paleo Plan: http://www.paleoplan.com/2012/08-14/are-green-beans-and-snow-peas-paleo/

Initially my thoughts were: "If I can eat it in it's fresh, raw form - why wouldn't I be able to eat it?" I do see pros and cons for both schools of thought on this - same with potatoes.

Personally, I try and stay away from anything that is a legume.... however I definitely have had green beans every now and again and it's not affected me negatively. Maybe just don't eat every day.

Hope that helps!

.... whoops! Shah's post above referenced the same article :)
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    For instance, I am sensitive enough to legumes, that green beans are totally out for me. But the above is correct.