Can someone help me out with a RESET plan?

Upsidelife
Upsidelife Posts: 9 Member
I've spent about 4 months using MFP, and in that time I've gone from weighing 277 to 222 pounds (55 lbs). I'm 6'1".

Unfortunately, I think I may have done this the bad way. I eat 80-100 grams of protein, 20-35 grams of fat and about 100 grams of carbs everyday. I also exercise frequently (both cardio and strength) But for the past month or so I haven't been taking in more than 800-1200 calories a day. Now I'm afraid I have messed things up- because the scale hasn't moved in about 10 days.

Yes I know, I should have avoided this from the get go, but I didn't. Now, after an open forum post and being referred to this group- I have realized that a RESET is called for. Can someone help me out with a plan? these guys- http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ say I should be at about 1600 calories a day. How much should i eat during this reset, and how long should it last?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Replies

• knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Whoa, wait, what? How on earth are you getting 1600calories? When I put your info into that calculator it says more like 2600 calories! Was that a typo?

I'm afraid I'm no help on the reset (I'm just starting to up my calories myself) but you might want to check the calculator again, unless that was a slip of the finger!
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    I've spent about 4 months using MFP, and in that time I've gone from weighing 277 to 222 pounds (55 lbs). I'm 6'1".

Unfortunately, I think I may have done this the bad way. I eat 80-100 grams of protein, 20-35 grams of fat and about 100 grams of carbs everyday. I also exercise frequently (both cardio and strength) But for the past month or so I haven't been taking in more than 800-1200 calories a day. Now I'm afraid I have messed things up- because the scale hasn't moved in about 10 days.

Yes I know, I should have avoided this from the get go, but I didn't. Now, after an open forum post and being referred to this group- I have realized that a RESET is called for. Can someone help me out with a plan? these guys- http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ say I should be at about 1600 calories a day. How much should i eat during this reset, and how long should it last?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I am 6'0" and 238 and my BMR is over 2100. My TDEE at lightly active is 2900. I think you have miscalculated. My 15% cut is 2465. You might want to revisit those numbers.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Besides the calls to check those numbers, a reset means you eat at maintenance.
    For how long depends on how long for your body to not feel threatened and stressed from what it just went through. Lucky for you as a guy, even though you lost probably decent muscle mass, you have more still to recovery nicely, and less hormone potential problems.

I'd suggest getting some good estimates on bodyfat %, since your estimate for maintenance is based on BMR, and I'll bet your Katch BMR using BF% is different than Mifflin or Harris BMR using age, weight, height.
  • Upsidelife
    Hey guys, thanks for all the input I really do appreciate it.

Yeah you're all obviously right, I put down 6 inches as my height instead of feet ;) Well by the real measure of my TDEE goes up to 3400, and my 15% is 2900. Guys, am I supposed to increase my intake to 2900 calories a day? I have been on aprox 1500 for the first 2 months, and averaging about 1000 since. How will my body react to almost tripling this? I thought perhaps going up to 1500 would suffice with added protein calories- but this is giving me a totally different vision.

@heybales- Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by 'a reset means you eat at maintenance' I'm really sorry I'm a little overwhelmed by all this, so this question might be silly. Also, what would be the best way to check my BF%?

Once again, thank you all- you're the best!
    Besides the calls to check those numbers, a reset means you eat at maintenance.
    For how long depends on how long for your body to not feel threatened and stressed from what it just went through. Lucky for you as a guy, even though you lost probably decent muscle mass, you have more still to recovery nicely, and less hormone potential problems.

I'd suggest getting some good estimates on bodyfat %, since your estimate for maintenance is based on BMR, and I'll bet your Katch BMR using BF% is different than Mifflin or Harris BMR using age, weight, height.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Yeah you're all obviously right, I put down 6 inches as my height instead of feet ;) Well by the real measure of my TDEE goes up to 3400, and my 15% is 2900. Guys, am I supposed to increase my intake to 2900 calories a day? I have been on aprox 1500 for the first 2 months, and averaging about 1000 since. How will my body react to almost tripling this? I thought perhaps going up to 1500 would suffice with added protein calories- but this is giving me a totally different vision.

Whew! Glad you figured it out. I know, it seems like an awful lot, right? I was eating 1200-1400 calories a day and my TDEE-20% is over 2200! Super overwhelming. I'm only a week into trying this and I've had good days and bad, but I'm trying to work my way up to that number. Currently I'm trying to at least get over my BMR- 1800- every day. So far, so good.

You can do this! I know it seems super counterintuitive to eat so much more, but it really does make a lot of sense and so many people have had great results! If you feel like friending me (since I'm just starting out with this whole eating more thing too) feel free. We can commiserate about how difficult it is to eat so much. ;)

I think what haybales meant was that to do a reset, you need to eat at your TDEE, not your -15%. That's what "maintenance" means. So for a few weeks you'd eat 3400 to reset your metabolism and then go down to your -15% (2900) to start losing again.
  • heybales
    @heybales- Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by 'a reset means you eat at maintenance' I'm really sorry I'm a little overwhelmed by all this, so this question might be silly. Also, what would be the best way to check my BF%?

So TDEE is your maintenance, where you maintain weight, no weight or inches lost or gained. So you would slowly work your way up to that level, expecting water weight increases the first couple weeks.

You usually have to estimate to get that level, as you discovered, can be very high.

And what's interesting is, you were eating more than that previously before you lost weight and started to diet.
    In reality, unless you logged your food back then, the only thing you have to compare it to is what you've been eating and logging on the diet. And as you now know, you had no idea that was such a bad low number. So really, you have nothing objective to compare it to.

Use this to get decent BF%, get BMR based on it, use better activity calculator, and goal number, and log your progress.
    And to lower TDEE so you don't have to eat as much, lower your exercise.
    Besides which, you don't need the exercise for fat and weight loss, just a reasonable deficit. But it helps while doing it so you can eat more. So you may find you can back off the exercise, lower the TDEE and eating goal, and still get better workouts in for body improvements.
    Because really, exercise tears down, rest and recovery and repair is what actually builds back up better, if given good nutrition.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • Upsidelife
    @heybales: Thank you so much for the clarification and that's a great tool you shared. Just to recap, should I expect a significant increase in my weight over the next few weeks while i inch my way back up to my TDEE? And is it necesary to go back up to the TDEE, stabalize, and then target the TDEE-20%, or would it be acceptable to target an increase only to the TDEE-20%?

I'm sure every person is different, but I want to make sure I am not shocked and demoralized by the numbers i see between my feet.
    So TDEE is your maintenance, where you maintain weight, no weight or inches lost or gained. So you would slowly work your way up to that level, expecting water weight increases the first couple weeks.

You usually have to estimate to get that level, as you discovered, can be very high.
  • heybales
    @heybales: Thank you so much for the clarification and that's a great tool you shared. Just to recap, should I expect a significant increase in my weight over the next few weeks while i inch my way back up to my TDEE? And is it necesary to go back up to the TDEE, stabalize, and then target the TDEE-20%, or would it be acceptable to target an increase only to the TDEE-20%?

I'm sure every person is different, but I want to make sure I am not shocked and demoralized by the numbers i see between my feet.

Depends on how depleted of glucose stores you've been constantly running on.
    500 cal's worth is 1 lb of weight.
    Other improvements including blood volume will increase weight too.

I'd say at least work your way up to the recommended TDEG for whatever routine you plan on keeping. If you don't hit the weight loss mentioned and your workouts are not new and causing improvements to hide it, then start increasing to TDEE.
    As guy you'll probably just be able to hit that level for a week or two and head back down slowly.

And you'll have to find your valid weigh-in days (morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from last lifting workout) and measure then too.
    Because you'll need to rely on measurements while your body gets a chance to finish making improvements to support the exercise you are doing.
    Most will report some inches drop even during the increase while weight remains the same or actually goes up. Some lucky ones do report weight loss while increasing. And they increase until it stops. And discover when they go back down, they get more weight loss than when they were coming up.