C25K ~ Week 1, Day 1 ...here I go!

Options

Replies

• mombieocalypse
    Options
    I did week 6 day 1 today and it was rough. I haven't run since Friday and I think it really made me pay today. I was totally caught off guard b/c I had such an awesome 20 minute run on Friday. I did make it through and it was hot out today (70's and sunny is hot here in the northeast). Everything about my run felt off. My form, my gait, my breathing, etc. But I got through it and when I checked my pedometer I noticed I had increased my speed by 0.5mph. So this is a good thing. I treated myself with a couple of run shorts and some capris b/c my clothes were just too hot.

Oh and I run with a group and they want us to sign up for a 5K at the end of the program, so on June 1st I will be doing my first 5K.

July 29th I am doing a Run 4 Your Lives Zombie 5K that my BIL signed me up for. Honestly, if he didn't sign me up I would still be on the couch letting myself become more and more unhealthy.

My friend that is doing the C25K program with me is going to sign up for a Color Me Rad race in September and my BIL's girlfriend wants to do a Diva Dash as well.

It appears I have been bitten by the running bug. Hope you do too.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    ....I was totally caught off guard b/c 'I had such an awesome 20 minute run on Friday. '

It appears I have been bitten by the running bug. Hope you do too.

Mombieocalyps, well I was flicking through previous threads and found your original post from March 30th where you were asking if running would always be so tough and a battle. And here it is, evidence that you can make it through the c25k program despite the difficulties- you have come so far!!

Congratulations on your tremendous achievements so far! You are an inspiration. Go Girl!! You're a real runner! :love:

Best of luck to all newbies on the running program too!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hello-- i just finished week 1, day 2 today. I have been doing this type of run since January, not really timing it but run til i get winded and walk til i catch my breath. So im nervous about week 2 because even though ive been doing for so long it dont seem to get easier. I do my running on a treadmill and was wondering how many others do too and what speed you go on walks and runs?? And do you use any type of incline on your walks/runs?

Feel free to add me as a friend also! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Today will be day 3 of my first week if it ever stops raining. Great to see so many others starting up now, too. Feel free to add me as a friend. I hear ya on feeling winded after the jogs. It feels so good to recover during the walks, and it seems like the jogs end just before I feel that I can't keep that pace for another step. I figure I'll repeat weeks if necessary since my 5Ks aren't until the fall. I'm also doing JMBR but C25K will replace the cardio DVDs.
  • ttoomey27
    ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last night. It got difficult in the last couple jogging sections, but I pushed through it. I don't have as much a problem with running out of breath as I do with lazy legs that tire quickly.
    I'm thinking about signing up for the Glow Go 5k on my 30th birthday in July!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job getting started and that sounds like a fabulous way to celebrate your birthday!
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Meh... my running partner is ill and so I haven't started yet.

I was really enthusiastic to start on Wednesday but thought I'd wait for her so we can motivate each other through those first crucial weeks.

Hopefully she'll be recovered by Sunday or Monday.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You could start anyway and lie to her about how much better the next workout is....
  • levelheadedgirl
    Options
    Started last night and it felt awesome! I'd love some buddies for encouragement! Feel free to add me.
  • tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Will do W1D3 tomorrow. So far I have survived it all but I have never been a runner so just the idea of this is challenging to me. Have already registered for color vibe run in November and considering one for June. I doubt I will be ready by then but I can always give it a shot.

Would love to have more buddies!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You would be able to run/walk a race in June. You are so going to rock this if you stay with the program. It's going to be amazing.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You could start anyway and lie to her about how much better the next workout is....

You are right, of course!

We're hoping to get tickets (on sale next Friday and very limited) for the UK's first Color Run in London, which is 11 weeks away. I hope that's enough time to get up to speed.

I also just found out that there's an informal 5k race every Saturday morning in our local park, so we'll be able to practise in race conditions before the event.

I'm so freakin' excited!
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I finished W1D3 today! I feel really good about that! I was worried about the weather (here in Iowa, we've got 9+ inches of snow in the last day and a half!!) but I still got out there and did it!! I was so wet & snow covered by the time I was done...it was quite the experience, but was so pretty I couldn't help but snap some pictures on the way past different areas :smile:

So, I'm a little worried about week 2......anyone else?? I'm still so relieved when that 60 seconds is up, that I'm worried I'll get hung up going longer. I've already figured that I'd just keep doing W2D1 (or whatever week I'm on going forward) until I can get through it, is this what everyone else is thinkging??
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do W1D3 today but I had to take my daughter to an appointment and then my little guy got out of school early and his friend came over to play after school. So I'm going tomorrow. I'm definitely going though so no worries there!

I would do W2D1 when you're supposed to and see how you feel. You'll be surprised at how your body adapts. I was worried the first time I did it too but it went well when I did it!
  • ttoomey27
    ttoomey27 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did w1d2 today. 2.03 miles which is. 03 miles better than day one. I skipped a couple days due to the derby festivities going on here in Louisville, KY, but I am back on track. I am worried about when I get to week 2 as well.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    So, I'm a little worried about week 2......anyone else?? I'm still so relieved when that 60 seconds is up, that I'm worried I'll get hung up going longer. I've already figured that I'd just keep doing W2D1 (or whatever week I'm on going forward) until I can get through it, is this what everyone else is thinkging??
    I considered the same thing, but I think I'm going to move ahead and see how it goes. It's getting really hot here in FL, so I thought about taking it easy since my races aren't till fall, but I want to see what my body is capable of.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Week two will be no harder than week 1.

Either week three or week four (most likely week four) will feel really aggressive if you haven't slowed down enough by that point. So do yourself a favor and slow down now :)

However, the best advice is just to take each day (day, not week!) as it comes and see what you can do that day. If you can complete it, then you are ready for the next day.
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, your right @vardaeml, W2D1 went really well, way better then expected! I haven't been really looking ahead to see what weeks 3 or 4 will bring, but your making me nervous ;) haha I've been nothing but surprised at how well this is going AND how much I'm enjoying it!

Also, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and schedule a 5K!! I've found a Color Run close to me, so my husband, niece and a few of my friends are running it with me for support!! :smooched: I'm feeling very loved to have so much support! & am SO excited for it, its in the middle of July, so just enough time. AND! Thank you guys for your support, this is awesome :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you're enjoying it, you're going slow enough.

I am amazed at how well the program works (programs, actually - there's some variation). 45% of it is trusting yourself and the other 45% is running slowly enough.

I try not to let myself regret it, but sometimes I have a little regret for all the years I thought I could never be a runner. This is going to be such a great opportunity for so many people!
  • Myscza
    Myscza Posts: 5
    Options
    So, yesterday was my 44th birthday. *deep breath* I am currently doing DDPYoga and tomorrow I have w1d1 of c25k. I've not run since I left the Army back in 2001 and I am SO nervous! I want to do the Color Run 5k here in October and have one friend who wants to run it with me.

I really need a swift kick in the butt!