Favorite/Easiest food to eat after gastric bypass

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
I would just like to hear what everyone's favorite food and easiest foods to after RNY (obviously not immediately after because of the liquid and pureed diet) I know the generics, but I would love your opinion! I'm having RNY on May 13th :) I'm talking about foods to eat once you are able to eat solids. Thanks!

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Every one can be different. I found fish the easiest solid to start, and two years out, it is still my go to choice. My standby choice in freezer, aways ready in single servings are high protein soups or chili. I still do 60 grams of protein each day in shakes as i rarely am hungry and forget to eat and drink. A shake (64 oz or 8 cups) made first thing in morning, gets me started and reminds me to keep sipping and stay hydrated, i sip on this through out the day, not chugged all at once(lol).

Cottage cheese( with added protein) greek yogurt, mashed potatoes made with Greek yogurt, and protein powder was really good when you need to do mushy foods. These are still favorite foods along side lean meats and places to make green vegetables easier to eat.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I do lots of things with chicken breasts. My fave standby when I am in a hurry is a piece of low fat cheese like Sargento low fat pepper jack, with a piece of deli thin sliced fat free turkey and a slice of low sodium turkey bacon wrapped up. Great flavor with a little crunch, no carbs and good amount of protein. I like mashed sweet potatoes with protein powder and a teaspoon of lite margarine, Greek yogurt with fruit added, and cottage cheese is always great. I am 7 months out and have a very hard time with iceberg lettuce, but I did before surgery as well. Baby spinach leaves are great added to almost anything.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Early on, beans are great, as they are soft and have some protein. Lowfat cheese will pretty much melt in your mouth, and also has some protein. Fat free sugar free pudding with some protein powder added is a great source of protein.

When you can first tolerate more solid foods, deli meats are great for protein, and are softer and easier to chew than what you can cook at home. I relied on chicken and ham quite a bit. Apples are great, but peel them first, as the peel can get stuck. Oranges also don't chew well enough at first. Any melon type fruit does well. Mashed potatoes are good in the soft stage.

As you progress, you can start eating most things. I still steer toward nutritionally dense foods. I avoid bread, grains, pasta, and similar, because they lack protein and don't offer much nutrition per calorie. I eat pretty much any fish or meat, and that's still the biggest chunk of my diet.

If you are someplace where you need portable food, try some Quest protein bars. They are great on the go, have lots of protein and fiber, are low in calories, and have no added sugar or junk. Great snack, melt in your mouth, and are more like dessert than anything else.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    scrabled eggs/wendys chli/tunafish with tomato sauce anything soft and keep it "wet" with sauces and go slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww email me if you have any questins or just need to talk i am very open about my experinces or anything lol
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and you will just have to experiment really. I tried little bites of stuff until I figured out what worked for me and what didnt. Beans went down well from the very beginning. Eggs...not so much. I can finally tolerate them now t one year out. I do very well with beef and seafood...chicken is hit or miss. I do better with the dark meat than the white. It has to be very moist or I just cant eat it. My go-to source for extra protein in greek yogurt. I eat it every day. I also eat quite a bit of cottage cheese...another good protein source that goes down really easy. I try to get anywhere from 100-120 gms protein a day if I can.
  • Twiskers
    Twiskers Posts: 9
    Options
    I just got home from my sleeve surgery. Honest the best thing over the whole time was some consomme my friend brought me, salty and hot and a spoon of non sweetened cream of wheat they served in hospital. Maybe its just me, but all the sweet drinks sweet drips and sweet chew able vitamins, yuck...too much artificial sweet...really enjoy non sweet to salty warm anything...Heh.Hoping things will be a bit different in a few weeks. Im just home today, so I'm still really sore.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me (RNY) I will be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks then move to pureed foods. But once I can actually start eating, I will try pretty much everything. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

What kind of protein do you use to add to your food?
  • Agate69
    Options
    Unjury chocolate splendor, unflavored, chicken soup flavor, unjury cheese sauce powder. Not available in stores, but check with surgeons office or online. I used bariatric advantage before surgery
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    frozen precooked shrimp is my quick go-to option, I can take a five or so, run them under cold water for a couple minutes and then eat. Pretty much any seafood is easiest to eat. Chicken is the most difficult for me. Luck!
  • Agate69
    Options
    2 1/2 years post surgery, pork is still my worst meat. Husband loves pork, so tried it again, happy husband unhappy pouch! Cottage cheese and yogurt to rescue. Still do not eat pasta, rice, corn, lettuce, but no worries, there is not much value in them except as big stomach fillers, and nomore big stomach to fill.
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky...or unlucky I guess , however you view it, because I'm 2 months out and I can eat anything. I love grilled cheese and lasagna.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt and Atkins and Luna protein bars. Nine months post-op and still a very sensitive stomach, but the yogurt and protein bars have never caused any problems.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Once I was all the way past mushies and softs and on fully normal food?

Strawberries
    Gardein Crispy Tenders with Heinz ketchup

Those are my top two for taste.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for me (RNY) I will be on a liquid diet for 3 weeks then move to pureed foods. But once I can actually start eating, I will try pretty much everything. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

What kind of protein do you use to add to your food?

Well, after 3 months I think it was (or maybe six, but one of those two) we were to stop using protein shakes at all on my doc's plan. When I was using them I found PlantFusion in chocolate flavor to be the best I could get.

For just any old day protein foods I like seitan, lots of protein for calories. TVP as it mixes great with other things. I eat a lot of Gardein products as they are tasty protein.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Easiest for me when I could eat solid foods, by far seafood was the best! I still eat shrimp weekly, as it is a go-to protein source. I also love any fish. Scallops were also a great choice for me. My basic go-to items are Fage yogurt for breakfast, cooked shrimp sprinkled with Old Bay's seasoning served with cocktail sauce and Fage plain greek yogurt mixed together, and applesauce. Yes, I know it lacks protein, but if I want something quick and easy, its is a great choice. Oh, and I also do deli meat and cheese roll-ups. I like the ham and the turkey the best, with 40 cal slices or provolone.

BTW, chicken has been hard for me post-op as well. I can do it the first day, but reheated, forget it. In soups, it is fine.

Good luck!
  • Barbara2420
    Barbara2420 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My staples include : cottage and ricotta cheeses, egg beaters, deli meats and low fat swiss cheese and baked egg custard. Fish is a frequent choice, meat can be a bit "iffy"----chicken is only acceptable if fresh and super moist, pork if pulled and lots of sauce, beef in small amounts only. Always carry protein bars in my purse and in the car.
    Used lots of greek yogurt early post op, but not as much now.
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 9 months post-op and I still have trouble with reheated foods (especially chicken!).....no idea why......the microwave does something evil to the food I guess lol
  • MsOhSooo
    MsOhSooo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For me fish and shrimp are my go to foods. I can get a bag of pre-cooked shrimp and take a few out at a time, defrost/heat, Season with some Mrs. Dash and go! Fish can be baked, or cooked on the stove with some peppers and olive oil etc and make an awesome high protein meal.

I'm a year out and I still do a protein shake almost daily. Only because I'm not always hungry so at times I don't get enough protein in. I throw a scoop into my iced coffee so I get in extra protein with a drink that I love!

Chili and tuna are also good meals too. You can make the chili and freeze it in single serve portions so all you have to do is heat and eat.
  • nfgaring
    nfgaring Posts: 12
    Options
    Poached whole eggs (running yoke) or egg whites, Fage Greek yogurt/banana smoothy, pureed condensed vegetable soup and Fage Greek yogurt, Hummus with finely chopped fire roasted tomatoes. Still learning...
  • BRUNIIE0711
    Options
    TUESDAY WILL BE A WEEK SINCE I HAD MY BARIATRIC SLEEVE SURGERY. I WAS 271 LB ON 10/14/2014. TODAY IS SUNDAY 19/19/2014. I HAVE LOST 10 LBS