Serious question, Male problem, starting to get concerned.

Options
cchamil1985
cchamil1985 Posts: 74 Member
Ok, I realize that I am probably going to have to wade through a lot of jokes after posting this, but I am having a problem that I honestly don't know how to deal with and I am starting to get a little bit concerned.

I am 27 years old and I have been a member of MFP for about three months now. I have been following my calorie restrictions (with the exception of a cheat meal every couple of weeks) and working out lightly when I can (my work schedule has prevented me from spending too much time on exercise, I work 64 hours a week and I am in college full time, when I do get to the gym I typically do 45-60 mins high incline and 2 sets of 5 target areas, 20 reps per set).

My problem is that I have begun to experience spontaneous erections. Not while I am in a situation where I am already aroused, at random times when I don't have any reason to be aroused, It hasn't become a problem yet but I can easily see how it could be if it happened at the wrong moment.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Is this normal? I have never experienced a reaction like this before when losing weight and I am starting to get a little concerned.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging.

I don't have an answer to this but I bet Sara does.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I know you're being serious and so my serious question is... how is this a problem? Erections are a healthy thing to have. This means good blood flow and male hormones level doesn't it?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I know you're being serious and so my serious question is... how is this a problem? Erections are a healthy thing to have. This means good blood flow and male hormones level doesn't it?

testosterone.

but I can see how random might be disconcerting.
  • taunto
    Options

testosterone.

but I can see how random might be disconcerting.

I suppose. But I've pretty much always had them and I assume (haven't talked much about these things since HS) other men have same issue. I always thought it was just a thing that men go through? Is it possible that with you getting healthier, your blood flow etc is getting healthier, helping you with erections? I honestly don't have the right answer but I think this is normal but if you're actually worried, talk to a doctor. I would always encourage people to talk to a medical professional versus listening to folks online in these matters
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Not unusual. With a large amount of weight loss the body goes through some drastic changes. I call it second puberty. The key being an increase in circulation and probably hormones as well, but I would be guessing on the hormonal changes.

From the first 50 pounds on I was like a puppy with a pillow.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    you should be happy. enjoy.
  • cchamil1985
    Options
    I suppose. But I've pretty much always had them and I assume (haven't talked much about these things since HS) other men have same issue. I always thought it was just a thing that men go through? Is it possible that with you getting healthier, your blood flow etc is getting healthier, helping you with erections? I honestly don't have the right answer but I think this is normal but if you're actually worried, talk to a doctor. I would always encourage people to talk to a medical professional versus listening to folks online in these matters

No medical insurance yet, won't have any for at least another year. How do you handle it? God forbid this happens when I am at church or talking to my boss. I have never seen any other guys having this problem (and I would hope I wasn't oblivious to someone having a rock hard boner while I was talking to them) It doesn't seem normal to me at all.

I am hoping that someone has some experience with a similar problem and can shed some light on what is going on. I don't have the extra cash to spend on a doctors consultation right now.
  • taunto
    Options

No medical insurance yet, won't have any for at least another year. How do you handle it? God forbid this happens when I am at church or talking to my boss. I have never seen any other guys having this problem (and I would hope I wasn't oblivious to someone having a rock hard boner while I was talking to them) It doesn't seem normal to me at all.

I am hoping that someone has some experience with a similar problem and can shed some light on what is going on. I don't have the extra cash to spend on a doctors consultation right now.

Asking me how I handle it might not be the suitable answer you're asking since I wear my erections proudly. Heck yeah! I walk around in speedos just so the grannys can see what a healthy, 29 years old with a massive erection looks like. It brings them joy. Maybe they think that I'm turned on looking at their 80 years old body. They never know and they never need to know. Anytime I walk around the mall and I'm in front of the Victoria Secret outlet and I instantly get a roll of quarter in my pants, the girls know that I approve of the outfit they got on. I'm helping them decide.

My erections are helping people all over.

One erection at a time.
  • downsizinghoss
    Options
    Go to the convenience store and peruse their self-help section, or do they even exist since the internet?

Not totally joking here btw.
  • taunto
    Options
    Tagging.

I don't have an answer to this but I bet Sara does.

tumblr_mkam8crjcF1s983emo1_500.png
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing wrong with it. Just a symptom of having well balanced hormones and good circulation. Tuck it down one leg if it becomes a problem.
  • cchamil1985
    Options
    Go to the convenience store and peruse their self-help section, or do they even exist since the internet?

Yea... sadly, and I am not joking at all, I have no idea what this means.

I am part of the internet generation, I've had the internet since I was a kid, if that makes a difference.
  • taunto
    Options

I am part of the internet generation, I've had the internet since I was a kid, if that makes a difference.

He's asking you as a brother to love thy self.

Asking you to beat the one eyed snake

Swing the bat repeatedly

Empty out the gun
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Asking me how I handle it might not be the suitable answer you're asking since I wear my erections proudly. Heck yeah! I walk around in speedos just so the grannys can see what a healthy, 29 years old with a massive erection looks like. It brings them joy. Maybe they think that I'm turned on looking at their 80 years old body. They never know and they never need to know. Anytime I walk around the mall and I'm in front of the Victoria Secret outlet and I instantly get a roll of quarter in my pants, the girls know that I approve of the outfit they got on. I'm helping them decide.

My erections are helping people all over.

One erection at a time.

As an aforementioned "grandma", I am feeling somewhat joyful now. Thanks. :wink:
  • RecoveringToHealthy
    RecoveringToHealthy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Isn't this more or less normal? I don't have a penis so I can't tell :wink: But women experience similar things, or at least I do. It can be annoying, especially when I'm sitting down (on the bus, studying etc). But it happened more often when I was in my younger teens, not so much now. So maybe it has to do with your hormones.

You can always ask a doctor.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    At least you will have somewhere to hang your workout towel..... :wink:

It's the reason I don't dare use the recumbent bike - there's something about the geometry that affects my "angle of dangle".

The only suggestion I can make is to wear lycra undershorts to at least have some control.
  • downsizinghoss
    Options

Go buy a copy of "Jugs" and take care of things lol
  • downsizinghoss
    Options

He's asking you as a brother to love thy self.

Asking you to beat the one eyed snake

Swing the bat repeatedly

Empty out the gun

I knew you would understand Taunto
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

bigal.jpg
  • cchamil1985
    Options
    Go buy a copy of "Jugs" and take care of things lol

Ah, yea, tried that, doesn't help. Maybe for a few seconds, but it doesn't do anything long term, it always comes right back.

And I find it difficult to accept that this is normal, I think I would have noticed tent-front pants walking around all day.

And the tuck it down a leg thing, that just makes the 'tent' stick out lower than normal, it doesn't hide anything.

What are lycra shorts?
This discussion has been closed.