Help me! I hope the damage I have done can be repaired!

true90inc
true90inc Posts: 33 Member
I am reaching out for help, as I feel like I am going in the wrong direction. I have been at this for a long time, and have great success, but I just cannot get rid of the last 10 – 15 pounds. As I have been reading some of the threads, what you guys say makes sense in my mind….and I like the format of this group. So – Please – help me fix what I have broken over the last couple of years!!!

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)
I am 51 (used 52 for stats, as I have a June birthday). I currently weigh 140 pounds. I am 5”5” (I have grown!!!, but feel that it is from better posture due to weight loss). I used the average of 3 BF calculators and came up with 29.4%. I have calculated my BMR at 1320, 1325 and 1342 (different methods).

I have been obese all my life (except for the last 18 months or so)! I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 13 years ago, and decided at that time to get my weight under control. I promptly lost 60 pounds by following the recommended ADA guidelines for 1500 calories (most days I went under, but did not add exercise calories into the equation). Life happened, and I stopped losing – over the next 10 years, I gained and lost, but never more than 15 pounds. 2 years ago I found MFP (I have logged into MFP for 790 days).

Below are my weights – I have done this by exercise, and logging everything I eat. I have not changed (for the most part) what I eat. I like my meat and my white bread……and my carbs…..
3/3/11 – 186
6/3/11 – 167
9/3/11 – 154
12/3/11 – 140
3/5/12 – 137
4/12/12 – 135
11/17/12 – 132.8
2/4/13 – 136.8
3/4/13 – 136.8
5/1/13 – 140
5/3/13-137.4

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? 1200 - 1300

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
Carbs – 160
Fat – 40
Protein - 60

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
Yes

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
Yes (with the exception of Mustard and Ketchup which I use sparingly)

Do you take cheat days or days off?
No – for the most part, I log everything, even if I know I am bad. I very rarely use quick add (and get irritated when I see that )

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
790 days – 50 pounds

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months?
I have a desk job, I drive approximately 1 hour per day. I do have some rare periods of heavy lifting (computers and servers), but not often. I typically walk 50 minutes on my lunch hour – at an average pace of 3.5 – 3.7 MPH. When weather is nice, and I can go outside, probably ¼ - 1/3 of walk is a bit hilly (like and overpass over a river).

I will also try to do 10 – 15 minutes of elliptical 2 – 3 days per week. On weekends, I try to get in a minimum of 45 minutes (walking an elliptical) both Sat and Sunday. I take a rest day 1 or 2 times per month. I have had intentions of trying to run.

BUT – I injured my hamstring about a month ago, I am currently on a 2 week rest – so at this point in time – no exercise.
I know that I should do some strength training, but I just can’t bring myself to that point.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period.
I have been stalled, I would say for about a year. I stayed steady at 135, but got to my lowest of 132.8 in Nov 2012. Since then, I have had a slow and steady gain (that is about the time that I adjusted my calories to 1245 to try to get towards maintenance). At this time, I have adjusted to 1300, because 1200 is just not realistic and with no exercise I am afraid to go higher.

Are you breastfeeding?
No

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS?
No

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Tagging
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. It looks like you've done it at a slower pace, which makes it much more sustainable.

It's hard to believe your body fat would be 29.4 at 140 pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh 173 and my body fat is 29. I'm 50 years old. Why do you want to lose more? I think for a 52 year old at your height, 140 would be a good weight. I would suggest beginning strength training to avoid further injury and to build muscle, which will burn more calories. Why are you hesitating to do that? What damage do you think you've done?
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. It looks like you've done it at a slower pace, which makes it much more sustainable.

It's hard to believe your body fat would be 29.4 at 140 pounds. I am 5'5" and weigh 173 and my body fat is 29. I'm 50 years old. Why do you want to lose more? I think for a 52 year old at your height, 140 would be a good weight. I would suggest beginning strength training to avoid further injury and to build muscle, which will burn more calories. Why are you hesitating to do that? What damage do you think you've done?

With all due respect Connie, you're misinformed. Weight is not a good indicator of body fat. I weigh 130lbs and in November I tested out with 30% body fat. The number on the scale is only one indication of health, there are many other factors at play.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging
  • Sarauk2sf
    What about strength training causes you concern?
  • true90inc
    I have back issues, I am really uncoordinated, and I have never liked it. Perhaps some guidance in something easy - and I would be willing to try to work up to something harder. I do have weights at home, just don't (know how to) use them. Alot of this is my insecurities about things always being so hard for the "fat" kid. My heaviest weight was 238 - and, lets face it - it is harder to do things at that size. I still have the mental block that I am fat (and I know....I am not .... any longer).

And I know - the strength training WILL help back issues. I am just afraid....
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    If you can't lose weight eating 1200 cals, then I think there's metabolic damage. If I were you, I'd eat more, move more and sleep better. Yes, you will probably gain weight during that process but having a great metabolism is essential to life. Add some strenght training, up your cals (PROGRESSIVELY - 100 per week) until you get to 1800 (use the ratios you have). After you reach a suitable point when you don't gain weight, create a cal deficit (-200cal). Be patient and take care your engine...and strenght training.

Not so broscience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw - BioLayne Video Log 15 - Metabolic Damage v2.0 (Metabolic Capacity)
  • Sarauk2sf
    HI all.

While we appreciate everyone trying to be helpful, please could everyone refrain from giving advice on the intake threads. Please read here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/861596-please-read

Thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    I have back issues, I am really uncoordinated, and I have never liked it. Perhaps some guidance in something easy - and I would be willing to try to work up to something harder. I do have weights at home, just don't (know how to) use them. Alot of this is my insecurities about things always being so hard for the "fat" kid. My heaviest weight was 238 - and, lets face it - it is harder to do things at that size. I still have the mental block that I am fat (and I know....I am not .... any longer).

I am sure we can ease you into some resistance training that you will be comfortable with - it is very important for bone health as well as helping with body composition among other things.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member

You'll be in great hands with Sara and SS.

I just wanted to leave you with some encouragement that I'm almost 46, and have had low back issues for years since a car accident, and I'm really uncoordinated. Like, super klutzy. I fell in love with barbell training earlier this year, and it's helped my back issues and my coordination tremendously, along with giving me a ton of added functional strength in a relatively short amount of time.

So please don't let any of that push you away from strength training, because the thing you're afraid of, will actually help you overcome both those issues. Just go at it smart, respect your limits, but don't be afraid of pushing them either. :flowerforyou:

Barbells and yoga have proven themselves the prescription for my troubles. I hope you can find something similar and feel like a new person after a few months of persistent training.

I'll see myself out now. Good luck!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364

You'll be in great hands with Sara and SS.

I 2nd this True! I need to update my intake thread but you already know what their advice has done for me this past month. I had the same concerns you do when I first started strength training but you can do this!!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member

With all due respect Connie, you're misinformed. Weight is not a good indicator of body fat. I weigh 130lbs and in November I tested out with 30% body fat. The number on the scale is only one indication of health, there are many other factors at play.

I'm 159 and my bf is in the 30s
  • Sarauk2sf
    Quick update. I am going to wait until I get a chance to chat with SideSteel before making any recommendations as I want to get his input for my thoughts as to an action plan. One of us will give our recommendations when we have chatted.
  • true90inc
    Thanks Sara - I can't wait to get started :)
  • true90inc
    Quick update. I am going to wait until I get a chance to chat with SideSteel before making any recommendations as I want to get his input for my thoughts as to an action plan. One of us will give our recommendations when we have chatted.

Am I that bad? Don't want to be a pest, but anxious for your plan of attack :)
  • Sarauk2sf

Am I that bad? Don't want to be a pest, but anxious for your plan of attack :)

Nope, not bad. Please bear with us. Thanks
  • Sarauk2sf
    Regarding the resistance training, will you be able to get some resistance bands? They are pretty economical, flexible, a good way to ease into resistance training and do not take up hardly any space.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368170165&sr=8-1&keywords=resistance+bands

I gave some suggestions for a routine on this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/965500-need-help-planning-exercise

We are hoping to get caught up over the weekend re intake advice so we will update with that when we do. Sorry for the delay.
  • true90inc
    Yes - I have looked at resistance bands before (and I have a $50 Amazon credit)!!! I will look at ordering them!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Hi again!

So, as your intake is pretty low as it is, we really do not want to decrease it so we are going to try two things:

1) increasing your activity through both NEAT (non exercise activity such as walking) and exercise. Hopefully you will enjoy adding the resistance training into your routine.

2) Change your macros to increase protein and decrease carbs. As we get older, our protein requirements actually go up as well as the possibility of a higher sensitivity to carbs vis a vis metabolism. So, we would like you to keep your intake where it is currently, at 1,300, but to aim for the following macros:

Protein: 100g
    Fats: 50g

as minimums with the balance going to wherever based on preference, energy levels and adherence.
  • true90inc
    Thanks - I will try to work on the protein and fat....the exercise is going to be a bit difficult. Up until 3 weeks ago, I walked 45 -50 minutes per day and did elliptical every so many days. Then I injured my hamstring.... :(, so - walking, stairs and any legwork is on hold until I heal :(

I will shoot for the protein/fat/carb change until I am cleared to walking again.

I was looking forward to eating more :(, but will leave it at 1300 for now!
This discussion has been closed.