NEW TO WEIGHTLIFTING

Options
I can do cardio out of this world but have never done weightlifting I have started with the "spartacus" workout and am just starting it. Any help at all would be appreciated, even cardio/ strength training work out ideas would be appreciated.

Replies

• kiarafitjourney
    kiarafitjourney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    im pretty new too, i've been weightlifting for about 3 months, and i love love love it so far.
    well i just do the basic thing, cardio for 10 mins, weight lifting, then end it with cardio for another 10 or 20 mins depends on my stamina.
    as for the weightlifting schedule, i always play with it so i dont get bored.
    i once follow Jillian Michael's advice, to do upper body and lower body in one day, example if you do chest day, then follow with training your front leg region, and on back day, train also your back leg region.
    but right now, i do it one area one day, so i do chest on monday, leg on tuesday, rest day, back on thursday and arms and abs in friday, etc.
    hope it helps :)
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I got an s&c coach, it's pricey but sooooo worth it, I work so much harder and they write my program around my specific needs- I'd recommend
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    As new to weight lifting, you should start with 3 day, full body routine with higher reps. You should get down with form before you start increasing weight. Also, right now as just starting you shouldn't do split body routines. I suggest you get the book " New Rules Of Lifting For Women" -you can even check it out from the library before you buy. See if that is something that you like to do. The book has a 6 month program for beginners.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will help you get started and take you 6 months of lifting. The book will also explain dietary needs for lifting etc. Plus, it's only 3 days a week :smile:
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Trainers make all the difference. They can work with you at your level and push you to gradually increase. And you don't get hurt, which is a huge win. ;^)
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I want to start lifting as well, but I have to admit that I am a little nervous about it... I'm nervous about having bad form, I feel akward in the gym lifting with all the "pros" , wondering if they are judging me. I am in a the Airforce, oh and did I mention I am only 4'8''. so needless to say I catch alot of crap from guys in general being a small female in the military... don't want to use that as an excuse I want to get abs, a nice butt and strong arms... I need some support! I have a full body routine here on my deployment but thinking about getting a trainer to help me lift....
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if this book is available as an ebook on itunes or something?
    I get confused with the right cardio/weights mix/order. I like to do both cardio and weights in the same session but don't know the best way to mix it up and everything I've found is of a mixed opinion - cardio before or after weights?
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You know I was wondering the same thing... usually I run before I do weights but wasn't sure... I might have to check out that book as well. :)
  • broncosbabe
    broncosbabe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found the book on iTunes and have downloaded it :)