New Rules and Fat Loss

Options

Replies

• emmycaitlin0304
    emmycaitlin0304 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who are further in, or have done the program before would you change anything in the first phase? I was lifting some before I started this, and I feel like I could do both A and B on the same day, or do something else on that day as well. I don't want to mess up my results by changing it, but if they've changed their recommendations, should I modify this?
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who are further in, or have done the program before would you change anything in the first phase? I was lifting some before I started this, and I feel like I could do both A and B on the same day, or do something else on that day as well. I don't want to mess up my results by changing it, but if they've changed their recommendations, should I modify this?

Maybe do HIIT afterward if you are feeling it's too easy or maybe you need to up your weight.
  • emmycaitlin0304
    Options
    I've upped the weight each time and quite a bit from when I was lifting without the book, but I was doing a lot of HIIT before this and stopped because I thought it would mess up the results. I guess if I'm doing it on the days I lift it wouldn't hurt right? Just not on the non-lifting days.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    I've upped the weight each time and quite a bit from when I was lifting without the book, but I was doing a lot of HIIT before this and stopped because I thought it would mess up the results. I guess if I'm doing it on the days I lift it wouldn't hurt right? Just not on the non-lifting days.

I'm doing stage 3 but with that said- I didn't commit to NROLFW like I should've in the beginning because I couldn't wrap my brain around the low burn that my HRM said. I did it 2x a week through stage 1 and then a few workouts in stage 2 and then stopped. But through stage 1 I was doing Insanity and Turbo fire and running- depending on what I felt like doing. I don't believe it hinder my progress- what hindered it was my last of calorie deficit and commitment to the program.

I'm taking a new approach though and ditching the cardio besides HIIT 2x a week with NROLFW 3x and see what it does for me.
    I don't think it will hurt you if you do it as a follow up after your lifting session. But that's just my opinion.
  • emmycaitlin0304
    Options
    Have you been pleased with your results? I have a friend that did NROLFW all the way through and she told me I should not try to do a Beachbody program (I was doing Insanity, but was going to switch to Turbo Fire) while doing it. But, maybe she just meant on the off days?

I'm being a little obsessive. I have put on so much weight in the past few months even though I've been exercising more and eating better than I ever have. Everything checked out with my thyroid, so I feel like it must be some combination I'm not getting right. Like, the right types of workouts, amount of food, etc. Ugh! I have to get into my clothes again. I don't care what the number says on the scale, but I am not buying clothes!
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i just read this book and I ordered a squat rack so I can start this program. I've been doing Les Mills Pump combined with Combat using 40# weights for Pump for awhile now but I'm not really seeing the results that I want. I've been eating between 1700 and 1800 cals. After 3 months of the combo routine I started to just do the Pump 3 x week and the HIIT workouts 3 x week. I haven't gone down is size at all. My clothes don't feel any different and it's frustrating. I do notice some definition but not much. I do feel stronger though and have increased in the weight along the way but this program is very high reps so I'm basically doing 200 squats with 40# at a time. Along with lunges and upper body too. Upper body I was just using 30 lbs but like I said it is a lot of reps. My goal is to lose fat and size and really gain some definition. I have 200# and a weight bench to work with so I think I can start this program. What I am wondering is what I should set my macros at for this program. I try to get at least 140 g of protein in right now. As far as calories I have mine set at 1763 right now. Should I up the calories when I lift and stick with the 1763 on the days I don't? I'm 48, 5'3" and 158 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Maybe do HIIT afterward if you are feeling it's too easy or maybe you need to up your weight.

Yes! Loved my results and I did read ahead and added HIIT and abs about halfway through stage 1. The only time I didn't do HIIT was stages 3 & 5 when there was BWM and stage 7.
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    Have you been pleased with your results? I have a friend that did NROLFW all the way through and she told me I should not try to do a Beachbody program (I was doing Insanity, but was going to switch to Turbo Fire) while doing it. But, maybe she just meant on the off days?

I'm being a little obsessive. I have put on so much weight in the past few months even though I've been exercising more and eating better than I ever have. Everything checked out with my thyroid, so I feel like it must be some combination I'm not getting right. Like, the right types of workouts, amount of food, etc. Ugh! I have to get into my clothes again. I don't care what the number says on the scale, but I am not buying clothes!

From what I've read from people here that once they ditched the excessive cardio, the fat melted off. That's my plan because since having my baby in Oct this weight isn't moving and like I said I was doing Insanity, TF and running. I've never gotten the body I want with all the cardio. So this is what I'm doing now and I'm excited!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    Options
    i just read this book and I ordered a squat rack so I can start this program. I've been doing Les Mills Pump combined with Combat using 40# weights for Pump for awhile now but I'm not really seeing the results that I want. I've been eating between 1700 and 1800 cals. After 3 months of the combo routine I started to just do the Pump 3 x week and the HIIT workouts 3 x week. I haven't gone down is size at all. My clothes don't feel any different and it's frustrating. I do notice some definition but not much. I do feel stronger though and have increased in the weight along the way but this program is very high reps so I'm basically doing 200 squats with 40# at a time. Along with lunges and upper body too. Upper body I was just using 30 lbs but like I said it is a lot of reps. My goal is to lose fat and size and really gain some definition. I have 200# and a weight bench to work with so I think I can start this program. What I am wondering is what I should set my macros at for this program. I try to get at least 140 g of protein in right now. As far as calories I have mine set at 1763 right now. Should I up the calories when I lift and stick with the 1763 on the days I don't? I'm 48, 5'3" and 158 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated!!

There is an "eat, train, progress" group if you don't get a good answer here. When I got to the point where I *could* get the macros I did 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. (I tried 40-20 protein- fat for a couple of weeks but don't have that kind of willpower long term).
  • makinitcount44
    Options

I hear ya!! I'm glad to be doing lower reps for sure!! I'm also 5'3 and 158 but am 36. I'm eating around 1800 and a little more on workouts days. I have my macros set at 40/30/30 and I focus on protein. If I hit my protein, then the other two seem to be where they should be. But I have to work at getting enough protein though- its tough sometimes.
  • heatherloveslifting
    Options

Oh yes, stopped doing the long, steady cardio I did before and stuck with 14-17 minutes.

From what I've read from people here that once they ditched the excessive cardio, the fat melted off. That's my plan because since having my baby in Oct this weight isn't moving and like I said I was doing Insanity, TF and running. I've never gotten the body I want with all the cardio. So this is what I'm doing now and I'm excited!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    Options
    Above post is all messed up- I stopped the long steady cardio and did short HIIT (14-17 min).
  • makinitcount44
    Options
    - I stopped the long steady cardio and did short HIIT (14-17 min).

That's my plan. I have a half in 2 wks and after that HIIT is it for me!!
  • abenardini
    abenardini Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just finished my fourth workout in Stage 1 but I am going to skip ahead to workout 9 and start doing 3 sets of 10..I feel like I could build a LOT more strength with slightly lower reps but an extra set. I have also included HIIT for 20 minutes after every workout as well as I have continued to go to my Kickboxing classes 3 times a week. I am seeing great results already but I feel like my diet is what is really doing the trick. I am eating TDEE-20% as well as I set my Macros to 40/30/30. Although I use my weekly caloric goal, meaning some days I eat 1500 calories while other days I eat 2200. This allows some wiggle room throughout the week. Either way, I LOVE this book and I am so thankful I started. As soon as I am done with NROL4W I will definitely be buying Supercharged!
  • emmycaitlin0304
    Options
    Cool! I stopped worrying about trying to get better at running because I don't love it. I like HIIT but was not getting the results I'd hoped for in the long programs. I'm going to go through a few more weeks, then maybe add some short HIIT in!
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thank you EVERYONE. I really learned loads....just done second workout on B today after a mad bank holiday 4 day drinking fest. I did 2 runs of over 8 miles as I was away for the weekend. But NEED to get my head in gear and not waste the time in the gym. Which I love. I've been doing HIIT as a warm up for 10 min and a 5 min sprint after then a cool down so I might change things up a bit. Thanks again.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cool! I stopped worrying about trying to get better at running because I don't love it. I like HIIT but was not getting the results I'd hoped for in the long programs. I'm going to go through a few more weeks, then maybe add some short HIIT in!

I gave up on trying to be a runner, too, becuase I HATE it. Honestly, I feel like I get more change with less cardio and more lifting.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

And the awesome thing about HIIt is that you don't have to do the same thing every single time! I do something different depending upon what I feel needs more work (upper vs lower body).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I belong to the New Rules of Lifting for Women on Facebook. There was a discussion regarding Fat Loss and the programs. This quote came directly from Alwyn Cosgrove. I thought this might help some of you.

If your goal is fat loss/size loss- Drop Two Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove
    If your goal is strengthen your core - NROL4A
    If your goal is to get in shape/back in shape/general fitness and possibly come back from injury/inactivity - NROL4L
    If your goal is to gain muscle and strength - NROL Supercharged

I can't in good faith recommend NROL or NROL4W anymore when we've released better programs since then.

Seriously? Pooh on you Alwyn. NROL4W is still a great program. The key phrase is "we've released" in other words, go buy my other books.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Well, there might be some new stuff in those new books, but it's stupid to say that this one won't work. There are just too many people who have had great success with it to just say don't do that, it's old news.

And I'd still recommend this one to women because there is so much great info specific to them.

I hate cardio, and I do very little of it.