Post Surgery Cookbooks

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
Hi everyone :) I am pretty new to this forum and will be having RNY on May 13th (soon! yay!). I am curious if any of you have tried any of the cookbooks made specifically for post RNY patients. If so, what would you recommend? Or even ones you wouldn't recommend? Thanks!!!

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I won be able to help. For the first few weeks after surgery you'll be pretty limited. But I haven't really used recipes. I like things simple and plain, and focusing on protein doesn't give a lot of latitude. I cook meat, and then what fruit and veggies I eat are usually raw.

When I started solid food after surgery, I ate a lot of deli chicken. It's very soft and goes down better than what I cooked for myself. There were some things I didn't want to eat for a while. When you have to chew them for as long and as thoroughly as postops need to, they can become pretty yucky.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the deli chicken idea! I love cooking and want to continue doing it so my family and I will to be able to eat the same, healthy meals. (Obviously smaller portions for me once I am able to eat solids again.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't have cookbook ideas, but I have used and still use many recipes from Eggface. Shelly (Eggface) has some great recipes for different stages and for everyday life. here's the site in case you are interested:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com

Good Luck!
  • itsjustmedeb
    itsjustmedeb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband found this book at the local book store shortly after I had my surgery (10/12). We have tried a couple of the recipes so far and they were pretty good. Here is the info: "EATING WELL AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY" by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray. Good Luck!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I still use my old cookbooks, but as someone else said" Plain and simple" works best. Moist heat cooking is best for me ( crock pot).
    Oven baked fish of all types worked best and still does 2 years later. Fried foods still mke me a bit queasy for about 2 hours. Pork and i do not get along well, so ret of family gets pork and i get cottage cheese. Cold meat works best, it appears i do not chew hot meat well enough.
  • MsOhSooo
    MsOhSooo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I really haven't looked at any RNY cookbooks per se. I have looked at the world according to eggface website that a previous poster mentioned and also http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/ , which also has pretty good and interesting recipes for food as well as desserts and shakes I've found that it was easier for me to find the protein sources my pouch likes and then create my meals around that.

Good luck!
  • sbbanded
    sbbanded Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is amazing, they are mostly geared to weight watchers (she gives the points for everything) but they are delish! I have never made something from there that the family didnt like =)
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Didn't know there were cookbooks, but I probably wouldn't buy them anyway. I cook many of the same things I did before, but I have changed everything to low or no fat and just don't do much rice or pasta at all. Lots of fresh veggies and some fruit. I have also learned to make healthy choices when dining out. I really don't have problems with any food at all, so that makes it easy for me. I love my Bariatric Advantage protein shakes, especially the orange cream, so I never got into the smoothie thing. Hope you find some good things. If you run across anything great, please share! I LOVE to cook myself and am always looking for new ideas.
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My husband found this book at the local book store shortly after I had my surgery (10/12). We have tried a couple of the recipes so far and they were pretty good. Here is the info: "EATING WELL AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY" by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray. Good Luck!

I bought this cookbook and got rid of it. Just about every recipe had wine in it. I use many of my "old" recipes, but I do like things plain and simple. My mom's Meatloaf recipe was a big winner this winter.
  • musicathy
    musicathy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey there, so, I was just re-banded on April 26th (First banded April 15, 2011 but had problems from the get go, which culminated in requiring a new band to be inserted) so am in the process of re-doing the food stages. So here are some of my tips food-wise (ps, I got pretty creative because previous to the surgery I wasn't able to eat or drink AT ALL for days/weeks on and off)

Liquid stage: you probably won't be that hungry for the first bit, so you really just sip liquids... I watered down chocolate protein shakes, watered down strained cream soups and vitamin water... lots and lots of vitamin water. I made popsicles with vitamin water - those were a godsend.

Pureed stage - here's where you can start to have fun, I have a cheap small food processor that I used multiple times a day. Made things like egg salad (with low fat sour cream and some light bayo to cut some of the fat) and threw in some fresh dill and pepper. yum! Albacore tuna with some light mayo - fresh dill here too. Low fat cream soups (blend all the chunks out).

Once you get onto soft foods you feel pretty normal. Just follow your surgeon's food guide.

As for the cookbooks, there are a TON on amazon. I did just purchase the one that was mentioned "eating well after weight loss surgery", haven't tried any of the recipes yet but have looked through them and some are better than others. What I like about it is that it tells you how to prepare a dish for the various post-op stages as well as how to prep them for the rest of the population (so that you just take your portion out, and tweak it). You can modify the recipes if you don't like using wine or whatever... using myfitnesspal is actually great for doing that because you can re-build the recipe online to get the nutritional breakdown (but your main focus will be protein/fat/calories/fibre - you'll likely need a multivitamin for extra nutrients, because, especially for the first while many fruits and veggies are off-limits.

Anyway, I know ive yammered on quite a bit here... hope at least some of it is helpful. Feel free to add me if you'd like to exchange ideas or other recipes.

I'm looking at this new band as new hope, it already feels better than my first band (and don't worry about something similar happening to you- my case was EXTREMELY rare)

Good luck!