TDEE or FitBit and MFP Workout

Options
Curious is it better to go by the calculated TDEE for me or using the average calories for the past week or month according to FitBit and recorded workouts at MFP?

So taked TDEE and minus 20% or
FitBit average for week/month and minus 20%

Make sure either calculation is more than BMR

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think if youre keeping the same routine for your cut fitbit avg over a months time -15% would be better unless you have over 50-75 lbs to lose then 20% would be fine
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless you have lots of workouts and or they are long, and the exercise is the type FitBit would be bad at estimating like lifting, cycling, rowing, ect - your daily activity levels will probably overshadow the exercise as a % of time and calorie burn.

I'd go for FitBit.

Other problem with that though, your more sedentary days are deflated estimates, because FitBit uses BMR for ALL nonmoving time, sitting, standing, sleeping, ect. And that's just not true. So it could be 150-200 shy on a sedentary day.
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    My main workout activities our Eliptical for Cardio and weight training. So say I get on the Eliptical from 6PM until 7PM I go into MFP and record the Eliptical starting at 6PM for 60 minutes and FitBit will get updated with that information. I do not put in walking or stairs into MFP I let FitBit simply handle that.

I think the personalized setting on FitBit.Com does more than take BMR into account. When I start work the estimate of how many calories FitBit.Com things I will burn is higher then when I end the day. The estimate shrinks all day then I get home and workout/get more active and I end up with the estimate (or more depending on activity).
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd say find a session of elliptical and compare MFP database table, machine reading, and what FitBit found.

Problem with ellip is there are no good studies or actual calorie burn, and the very different ways of tension and slope/inclrine cause very different efficiency methods, so very different calorie burns.

That's why even the most accurate treadmill formula's lose it when incline or speed go up too high, personal differences in efficiency.

So even the ellip machine isn't going to have good formula's, but at least it knows how many watts it took to provide resistance, and watts is energy, and energy is calories. In fact 350 watts/hr is 301 calories.

I'd almost say your FitBit could be decent estimate, no need to log it separately, whatever it finds, use it. Unless it is a far cry from what the machine said.

Now for weight training, yes MFP estimate is low and more correct.

I've had many people test the BMR aspect. I already knew that what is used during sleep time. But you can confirm too that is the same level of calorie burn given to all non-moving time.

But you are correct that they have an assumed level higher than BMR, like if you left the unit off-body for a chunk of time. Has to do with a setting in FitBit, forgot what someone said it was.
  • keithf1138
    Options
    Now for weight training, yes MFP estimate is low and more correct.

Is MFP estimate low or correct? Confused. It does seem low to me. In my typical weight training session which takes 30 minutes. I do machines no free weights. I go from machine to machine rather rapidly. Between sets I usually wait about 5-10 seconds. In the 30 minutes I end up doing over 500 reps of various machines and at pretty high weights on most of them (Some of them particularly legs and core at maximum.).
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, ok that's not traditional weight lifting then with sets and rests so you can really push at maximum weight.
    That's circuit training with cardio focus with strength component.
    The amount of time you allow for recovery determines how much strength component.

There is an entry for circuit training then.

For real lifting, the MFP estimate is low compared to what many think it should be, and more correct than HRM.

Oh, I dare you to sometime allow 1 min rests, perhaps 2 if major muscle worked, and see how much increased weight you can really lift when body has a chance to recharge muscles with ATP.
    It's really hard to compare and notice what could be done, compared to what is being done, when a slightly recovery is allowed.
    Well, if strength increases is focus. But circuit training is valid too.
  • keithf1138
    Options
    Oh, ok that's not traditional weight lifting then with sets and rests so you can really push at maximum weight.
    That's circuit training with cardio focus with strength component.
    The amount of time you allow for recovery determines how much strength component.

There is an entry for circuit training then.

For real lifting, the MFP estimate is low compared to what many think it should be, and more correct than HRM.

Oh, I dare you to sometime allow 1 min rests, perhaps 2 if major muscle worked, and see how much increased weight you can really lift when body has a chance to recharge muscles with ATP.
    It's really hard to compare and notice what could be done, compared to what is being done, when a slightly recovery is allowed.
    Well, if strength increases is focus. But circuit training is valid too.

That sure sounds boring