How did you progress towards your goal today?

Options
kcaffee1
kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
Something I have heard my entire life is, "Do something every day that will bring you closer to your goals/dreams/desires."

With that in mind, when I joined this group, I decided that I would work on making the above statement part of every day.

Today to implement this:

I focused on my breast stroke in the pool - by this summer I want to be able to swim 800 m in each stroke in an hour or less. Today, I covered 1000 m of breast stroke between butterfly drills, and was done in 45 mins.

I focused on butterfly drills because as the stroke smooths out, it will speed up some, and right now it is my slowest stroke.

I am trying to quit smoking, so today I made sure to find my gum, so I'd have something to keep my mouth busy besides a cylindrical shaped object or food. After dinner, I started in on the gum, and am going to resist to my utmost in caving in on another cigarette.

I have rationed my remaining cigs which should stretch the pack the rest of the week through Sunday. (MIGHT work, last attempt at this failed in the first night. Gotta be strong, GOING to win this WAR!)

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Something I have heard my entire life is, "Do something every day that will bring you closer to your goals/dreams/desires."

With that in mind, when I joined this group, I decided that I would work on making the above statement part of every day.

Today to implement this:

I focused on my breast stroke in the pool - by this summer I want to be able to swim 800 m in each stroke in an hour or less. Today, I covered 1000 m of breast stroke between butterfly drills, and was done in 45 mins.

I focused on butterfly drills because as the stroke smooths out, it will speed up some, and right now it is my slowest stroke.

I am trying to quit smoking, so today I made sure to find my gum, so I'd have something to keep my mouth busy besides a cylindrical shaped object or food. After dinner, I started in on the gum, and am going to resist to my utmost in caving in on another cigarette.

I have rationed my remaining cigs which should stretch the pack the rest of the week through Sunday. (MIGHT work, last attempt at this failed in the first night. Gotta be strong, GOING to win this WAR!)

Good luck with quitting smoking! You can do it... being a former smoker, I will tell you that you will feel so much better!!!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. I THINK the habit's on the way out without a major push... The taste is starting to change, like my soda did just before I walked away from THAT.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to be more confident in myself so my goal is to simply sit and stand up straight...

It will also help prevent from being the little old lady that's constantly looking at her feet because she had such terrible posture all of her life hehe.
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have added a 30minute walk and a 20minute cardio session (Jillian Michaels 30 day shred) into my daily routine. It doesn't sound much but I haven't exercised in a while. I have also tripled my protein daily intake from less than 20g per day to about 70g per day.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Working on establishing a summer routine. With the semester ended, work-study not starting for another month, a dozen or so places I have to get to between now and when work-study DOES start, not to mention a school project section due next fall, things could get a little hectic. Hoping I can get a good time established to work out that will not interfere with any of the above. (I may be dreaming here!)

For the fight with the bad habit: Yup, missed on the rationing thing. But, I'm not out yet! Counting every cig that I light up, and when I DO light up, making a solid effort to NOT smoke the whole thing at once. And, I've gone to the shorts instead of the 100's, so there's LESS to smoke. Decided to get a couple of cartridges from the next level UP from my regular ones to help encourage the transition, then I'll work back into the ones I was using, and I've got a ready supply of 0 nicotine ones on hand to work into the mix to help cut back on the over all intake.

Looking up different exercises that I can compile into workouts for both home and gym based work outs, so that I don't just wander around the gym like a lost bunny in an eagle's nest. Time is precious, and I am doing my best to make the most effective use of it I can. (For some reason, the schedule is getting MORE hectic, not LESS without the full semester load of classes. Doesn't make sense!)
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Today I ran my usual "5k" route around my community, which I hadn't done in about 2 weeks or so. (I have been switching up how/when/where/what I run) and improved greatly on my time. This is awesome especially because my goal is to run an actual 5k race in August.
  • Jewels_in_the_rough
    Jewels_in_the_rough Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's been about a month since I quit smoking, so I can empathize with you there! It can be challenging at times, but you can do it.

And I feel like I did great today. After an allnighter, I usually go for lots of coffee drinks, comfort food, lazy food, etc. But I managed to continue eating healthy and even managed to hit the gym. I feel good about my day today.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 miles and did legs at the gym! I will DEFINITELY be sore tomorrow!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    I was forced to take a break from the weights due to both knees acting up at once. So... this past weekend I finally found a knee brace that would fit around my thigh AND calf (which I'm VERY grateful about) that has the right kind of support. I've been keeping the worst under compression over night, usually with an ice pack to make it into a cold/hot compress, and that seemed to be helping.

Today, I actually remembered to take the brace with me when I hit the gym. Though I didn't wear it the entire time, I DID remember to put it on for the lifts that were causing me the worst problems - leg presses. I swear the brace along with choking back on the weight made the difference! Was able to finish out a full routine, even down to the 5 minute HIIT cardio finish!

Now, to finish building the exercise routine to go along with the more stable knee, so that I can KEEP the improvements coming, and get these dumb joints working properly ALL the time again!
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Anyone in the group have experience with NROLFW? I've got the book and am thinking of starting with it, just wondered if others have had experience, and how things changed for you?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I started it last year but ended up with a bad case of tennis elbow or lifters elbow so had to stop... hoping to start it again but my main concern is I belong to Planet Fitness and I will have to do some improvising as they don't have some of the equipment needed.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the elbows. Part of why I'm trying to start lifting is because I'm frankly surprised I haven't been stuck in a walking body cast yet, and I don't want the old injuries to come back and haunt me any sooner than I can help it. I've heard rumors that lifting can help keep SOME injury related arthritis at bay for a while, not to mention the other good things it does, so I'm hoping I can coax it to work for me. I'll just have to remember not to push too hard once I figure out what "too hard" is.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Well, it seems that I'm going to flop on pushing my swim sessions to double like I had hoped. However, it ALSO seems that I'll be succeeding on the quit smoking campaign. Last cigarette last night at 10 or 11PM, then the rest of the night was a 0 nicotine e-cig with a snus pack. And, above all - no nic fits!

Though, I am a little nervous about leaving the house today - right at the corner is a convenience store, and because it's on the corner, the temptation to stop might be a little too much to resist today. I will be going to the gym tomorrow, however. Can't break the streak of exercise days now.