need some advice

Options
bcsk8r
bcsk8r Posts: 9 Member
so I have decided to sign up for a 5k in the middle of july. it a color vibe run. I need to start training for it but I have no idea how to start beyond running. how should I have my diet? what tye of strength training should I do? what should I expect? feel free answer my questions here and give me as much info you think will help me

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Couch to 5k app/Podcast/training plan?

A 5k isn't that strenuous. When you're on your runs, you probably won't even need to bring water.

It's only when you get to 90 minutes/10 miles that you need to eat during runs or carb. load before races. Just eat back your exercise calories. After C25k, if you do long runs or speed work, chocolate milk helps with recovery.

You need at least one rest day a week. I do a yoga/pilates class on Monday, run Tuesday, strength training (New Rules of Lifting for Women) Wednesday, run Thursday, strength training Friday, run one day on the weekend and rest the other day.

In terms of preparing to run, get fitted for shoes at a running store and get a decent jog bra. Run as slowly as you can and trust yourself and the program.
  • bcsk8r
    Options
    does the couch to 5k app cost any thing
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are several free ones out there.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used a program called 5k101 and it was a great app. I think i got it free when they had a promotion. It tells you when to run and when to walk and its an 8 week program where you run 3 times a week. The runs are between 30-45 minutes including a 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down. I loved it. In fact I just finished it yesterday. I went from barely running a minute to running over 3 miles without stopping. It really is great.

The walk breaks may seem tedious, and unnecesary when you get to a certain point, but they are more about muscle recovery and building distance. You will surprise yourself every week on this program. It is amazing how fast you can build up the endurance to run 3 miles.

My best advice is to not let your head get in the way of your feet. After about 4th or 5th week youhave the stamina, it is just your head telling you, that you are not sure you can do it. get out of your own head and go for that run. Its possible, and you can do it.

You really don't need to change your diet at all, just make sure you are eating enough to give you energy. If you use MFP settings, make sure you have the right activity level set. If you use TDEE minus whatever, make sure you have it set to moderate.

I incorporate a lot of body weight training on my off days. Tons of pushups, dips, planks, squats, lunges etc. and they really do help with the running. I am just starting to look into starting lifting heavier weights, so I hope that helps more too. For you, just starting, just do it. Don't over think it too much, jsut drink some water before you go, and don't forget to stretch when you get back.

~Cat

PS: take a second to smile every now and then when you are running. It really makes a world of difference.
  • bcsk8r
    Options
    thank you very much im getting started on everything today when i get home. . im realy excited about doing this. the hard part for me will be to remeber to drink more water. but your advice will help.