Here it comes!

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
So, that time is about to come! I have my RNY on Monday morning at 10:30. Today is my last day of work for 3 weeks which makes me even more excited! lol I'm more excited than anything, but come Monday morning I'm sure my nerves will be going crazy. Wish me luck!

I also want to thank everyone I've met through this group for all the support along the way. You're all awesome!!!

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    You'll do great. The first day kinda stinks, but you'll recover very quick. Do everything they tell you, walk as much as you can, and don't lift heavy things.

Please drop us a line as soon as you get home and let us know how you're doing.
  • nfgaring
    nfgaring Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree, the first first few hours in recovery sure felt uncomfortable but, it 's major surgery. I felt like throwing up but didn't. It all passed quickly. I was at home the next day.

The roughest time for me was about 48 hour after surgery. There was some very uncomfortable pressure in my abdomen. If this happens don't be afraid to call them!!! Turned out to be air that you are filled with for surgery. Sounds funny now that I say it but it sucked for about 4 hours. After that it was wonderful. Sleep was great, resting was pleasant. Back to work 10 days after surgery.

Hope this isn't TMI.
    It's just fresh for me. I had RNY 1 month ago.

Good luck! It's gonna be GREAT!!!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am excited for you ajnd everone who posts here. I am 2 1/2 years out and still marvel at the awsome changes that have happened for me. Energy to spare, good eating habits are ALMOST second nature now. Follow your post surgery instructions, and watch the weight fall away. Like all good tools, treat your new stomach with respect, and you comittment to change will serve you well!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    After coming home the day after surgery, it was all good. Had some pain when walking for a while and it was hard to roll over in bed, but it didn't last long. It was not a difficult surgery and the diet was not hard to follow because my guidelines were mapped out explicitly. The first day right after surgery when they woke me and moved me down to do a swallow test that I was stood up for was a bit rough because of the anesthesia and the morphine. I have a really hard time staying awake with that. The car ride home, which was a three hour drive, I slept through. But once that passed, it was pretty easy. No nausea, vomiting, or serious pain ever. Good luck and can't wait to hear how everything went!
  • gwen6971
    gwen6971 Posts: 49
    Options
    Congrats on being so close to the losers bench. Prayers for a safe surgery and a speedy recovery.
  • itsjustmedeb
    itsjustmedeb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a safe surgery and speedy recovery. Remember to take it slow the 1st couple of weeks or so, don't go trying to climb any mountains (or rock walls) just yet! Try really hard to get as much as possible of your fluids and proteins in each day as required as it helps to speed up the recovery process also. You're about to open the door to a brand new world, I'm excited for you! Keep us posted on your progress.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it!
  • LolaBug85
    Options
    I appreciate all of your support. Today was my last day of solid foods. The nerves are really going crazy now!
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    There are a few things that almost all WLS patients run into that kind of freak us out. Most, not all. We gain weight while in the hospital for surgery. I came home after three days of eating absolutely nothing and had gained about ten pounds. That hurt. It's just from the surgery and IV, and you'll lose it very fast. You'll have wicked stomach rumblings for about a week from the gas they use to pump you up while operating. That is normal too.

Everyone seems to hit a mini plateau at a month or so after surgery. After everyone tells you how the weight "just falls off" at first, having a slow week or two can make you a little panicky. Don't worry about it, it will pass too. Then you should lose pretty consistently until the five month mark, maybe six. You'll still lose alot after that, but it can fluctuate more.

I think the most I craved food was at the end of the liquid phase, before I could start eating again. For a little while, I was really hungry alot. But since then, I really haven't had food cravings. It's great, but pretty disconcerting at the same time.

Just remember, whatever happens, someone here has been through the same thing. Let us know how it goes.
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Keep us posted as you get home since I am sure you will have questions and concerns. You will do great and it really will change your life!
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I will be praying for u.
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It will be over before you know it. :) Good luck and hope to see you back here in a few days.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is the beginning of the rest of your life. Good luck and God speed. Take time for you and ask for help when you need it. I will be thinking about you.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Blessings to you for this next step in the adventure. I'm still in my pre-surgery phase, about a month left.
  • LolaBug85
    Options
    Well here I am, surgery went perfectly. I was only in the hospital one night. First night home was rough but I'm feeling better and better each day. I've gotta say though, the tummy grumblings are really annoying lol. Hardest part with this is I've been doing it with ZERO pain meds. I really mean none. They tried pretty much everything on me and it was almost impossible to not get sick to my stomach. I can't even tolerate diluted Tylenol. So I'm sticking with no pain meds, as crazy as that sounds. But I'm feeling pretty good today. Yay :) On the plus side, my surgeon gave me copies of the photos from my surgery. It's pretty awesome seeing what it looks like in there!
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Very glad to hear you are doing well. Hope your tummy grumblings subside soon. This is the first string I have heard them being mentioned - so it is good info to know as I anticipate a surgery schedule date. Look forward to hearing about your progress and experience.
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    Excellent news, congratulations. It took about a week for my rumblings to disappear. It was very odd while it lasted.

Drink, walk, and then drink and walk some more.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Glad you are back onthe mend. I too did not tolerate pain meds. Did fine without them, Things to look forward to. ........
    Iafter almost 3 years, i finally decided that i needed a dress for an event this evening. Very odd to go to a normal dress store, fond 4 dresses that i liked, and have the clerk tell me i needed a smaller size than what i took back to thefitting room. WHO IS THAT WOMAN IN THE MIRROR?