Has anybody ever told you to stop losing weight?

Options
I'm currently losing weight and I've been told that I don't need to lose weight and stop. I'm sick of people telling me that! I'm pissed! I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 192 pounds still. My cousin messaged me to please not lose anymore weight. It's not like I'm gonna be a skeleton. I'm aiming too 160 or 155 pounds. I wish people would STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DO!! I just wanna be toned and healthy, not skinny. I've been chubby and big all my life. The heaviest I was is 235 pounds. I don't wanna be too thin, but why are people telling me to stop? I don't give a **** what they say! I'm not stopping until I reach my goal weight!! Sorry, but I'm kinda aggravated right now! I just wanna tone up that's all. Should I stop or not?!

I don't look like I'm 192 but I am. I don't wanna lose my curves though. I understand that they're concerned but It's my body, not HER'S. I'm 23 and it's MY choice. Do people want me to stay chubby?

Me at 192 right now. http://s1323.photobucket.com/user/TheatreLover23/media/2013-05-08_20-09-10_878_zps0747410e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yes... Many times. It's irritating, but there's not much you can do about it. Most people feel inclined to share their opinion whether you've asked for it or not.

That said, it's THEIR opinion, and you can choose to act on it, respond to it, or ignore it... Depending on who it's coming from I usually just ignore it. But once in a while I'll remind the commenter that I'm the one that's got to live in my body, so if anyone is going to be unhappy with how my body looks it won't be me!

You do what you've got to do. If it makes you happy & you're not hurting anyone else, then the naysayers can go fly a kite!!
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    Yup, that's so true. I just ignore it and just get to my goal weight.
  • jididier
    jididier Posts: 10
    Options
    I absolutely agree! The two things that bother me the most about it is that these are the same people who told me I looked great at a lower weight, and whenever I go out to eat with friends and order a salad, I get crap for it! It's my body, it's my life! If I want to lose 15 lbs, look better, feel better, and eat better what's so wrong with that?

Just do what's best for you, and know that not everyone will support you no matter what. But we're here for you! :)
  • TheatreLover23
    Options
    True that
  • Nyingje
    Nyingje Posts: 13
    Options
    I did loose too much weight around three years ago.At first I was a bit put off when my husband told me to eat a sandwich and a bowl of ice cream because I was getting to thin. However, I look back at photos of myself from back then and think, 'why didn't any of my so called friends let me know I was that thin?". I when I did start trying to gain weight I felt healthier. I gained more then I am comfortable with so here I am counting calories and avoiding ice cream. I want to loose about three more pounds and then just stay around that size.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I have had ppl tell me I don't need to loose weight and I'm not fat but at 5 ft 3 a little over weight can quickly become fat.
    When i was 18 i was silly and lost weight for a man but even at my smallest weight which was 119 lbs and was still with in healthy bmi then but I had my dad tell me I wasn't to get that thin again and my Grandma kept saying I was painfully thin but I don't believe I was,it was just a case of they had not seen me that small before as I spent most of my teens being around 133-140 lbs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    All the time. Like pretty much every day lol. As long as my doctor says I'm fine idgaf. Even my therapist and the nurse that works at her office tell me I need to gain weight.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I get really angry because it's my body, and it's not their place to tell me what to do with it. I could maybe understand if I was in danger of being underweight, but I'm not at all. I know I'm healthy, and I've chosen my own goal based on how I feel.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend told me last month. He liked me better a little heavier and I stopped losing for his sake. I wanted to lose another ten but he is so adamant that I look too thin that I'm willing to pause for a bit. I'm not that small- 5'4" and 120 pounds- but he's been on my case so hard that I just can't deal with it anymore.

I know the stereotype is that unfit people are the ones who say this stuff, but my boyfriend is actually really fit and takes great care of himself. He just likes his women bigger than I am now. Sigh.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When I originally started my healthy lifestyle, I was 225lbs. I had a friend who was about 300lbs who started going to the gym with me. Thing is, she'd ONLY do the recumbent bike the entire time we were there, whereas I would do running intervals and weight training, along with starting a healthy diet. A couple of months in, I had already lost 20lbs and she started getting really hostile towards me, especially when I told her my goal weight was 155lbs. She told me I already looked sickly. Seriously? 5'10"/205lbs is SICKLY? I feel like some people really do care about you and are concerned, but you need to watch for people who are jealous and want to see you fail because they don't want to put in the effort to succeed. I no longer have a gym buddy and have found that it is much better that way for me.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The BMI says 160 is at the high end of healthy for you. Just tell them to MYOB
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i hear it all the time its to annoying i mean i am 5foot 5 and 114 lbs and wanna go under 110 its not like i have a lot to lose (its the hardest though) my boyfriend keeps telling me how horrible it is to see thigh gaps and hip bones but i am sure its cause he wants me to be healthy . i can be skinny and healthy though so as long as my doctor doesn't tell me to gain weight i am not going to . trust the real professionals
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The BMI says 160 is at the high end of healthy for you. Just tell them to MYOB

Yes. 160 at her height is still very hot-curvy.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and currently around 140 pounds. I've lost all initial baby weight in the first 3 months and slowed to a 3 pound a month loss. My goal is 135. And my mom still asks me everytime she sees me if I have hypothyroidism just like my sister got after she had her daughter. I don't look sickly, I don't eat under 1600 calories. I don't talk about my goals to anyone anymore because apparently wanting to look like a fitness model is okay, but actually achieving the goal isn't.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was a chubby kid @ around 150 pounds. I lost a lot of that weight when I was around 21 and got down to 100 pounds. I know then I was sickly thin, being I am 5'5 so I totally understood why people were concerned. Most of it was due to stress though. Then I gained some back, got to 130 and people complained I was still too thin. Now I am 125 and people still go on about it. Honestly, I don't care what anyone thinks. It's more so about how I feel in my own skin. Whether I am happy at 100 pounds, 125, 190 or 400 pounds, it's no one else's business but mine. I tell people to shut up when they give me a hard time lol!
  • hseipel12
    hseipel12 Posts: 26
    Options
    i hear it all the time its to annoying i mean i am 5foot 5 and 114 lbs and wanna go under 110 its not like i have a lot to lose (its the hardest though) my boyfriend keeps telling me how horrible it is to see thigh gaps and hip bones but i am sure its cause he wants me to be healthy . i can be skinny and healthy though so as long as my doctor doesn't tell me to gain weight i am not going to . trust the real professionals

110lbs for someone that is 5'5 is a BMI of 18.3. Under 18.5 is considered underweight. You're good now (BMI 19), but I'm actually inclined to agree with your boyfriend that you shouldn't lose anymore.