New to the Group/Gaining eating above BMR

Options
scwilson38
scwilson38 Posts: 104 Member
Ok. I have a question for everyone. I was eating 1600-1800 calories depending on my exercise for the day. I have lost 30 pounds. I was researching on MFP and realized I am eating below my BMR of 1930 so I started doing that about a month ago and now I have gained 5 pounds. Should I keep eating above my BMR to see if I start losing again or should I go back to eating 1600-1800 calories a day. I don't want to start gaining all my weight back. I have actually increased my exercise from what I was doing a month ago and my diet has not changed. I do not lift weights. I do Zumba and walk/jog at least 3-5 days per week. I am 5'8 and 257, started at 282. Please help

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You should eat tdee-15% if you gain consistently over a 4-6 week period your metabolism may be suppressed. If anything you should eat more than 2200 if you are very active
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have a question for everyone. I was eating 1600-1800 calories depending on my exercise for the day. I have lost 30 pounds. I was researching on MFP and realized I am eating below my BMR of 1930 so I started doing that about a month ago and now I have gained 5 pounds. Should I keep eating above my BMR to see if I start losing again or should I go back to eating 1600-1800 calories a day. I don't want to start gaining all my weight back. I have actually increased my exercise from what I was doing a month ago and my diet has not changed. I do not lift weights. I do Zumba and walk/jog at least 3-5 days per week. I am 5'8 and 257, started at 282. Please help

Is that a BMR based on gender, age, weight, height and inflated when overweight? Like Harris really inflated, or Mifflin on MFP better?

Or BMR based on weight and bodyfat% that is more accurate when overweight?

You may have a BMR figure you are using that is 400 cal inflated, so TDEE is inflated by 500-600.
    Which means even with a deficit, you have no deficit or excess actually.

Use this to get some best estimates.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker