11 days into Insanity and feeling discouraged

Options
Hi there

I have been doing Insanity for 11 days now and been struggling to stay motivated, there are many posts stating that you need to get past the 30 day mark but the lack of physical visual results is hard to overcome, or course i do understand that it takes time but defo need a puick me up :)

Replies

• dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You can't focus on the physical appearance or even the number on the scale. The big results in Insanity come in the final 30 days. These first 30 days are making sure you don't die in the second 30. You need to focus on the small progresses. Have you noticed you are taking less breaks? Are you finally making it through the warm up without a break? (I was well into week two before I could make it through the warm up) Can you push it harded that you did last week? 1 more push up? One more power jump? It's those type of things you have to focus on. If you keep looking in the mirror every morning and stepping on the scale each day, you are going to have issues. Focus on conditioning. When your conditioning gets better and you can push it harder, your results will come.

Just to show my instance, I was only about 20 lbs heavier than I wanted to be and was prior Military, so I wasn't "totally" out of shape when I started my journey. I did Insanity, Les Mills Pump, a hybrid of Pump/Insanity, Les Mills Combat and I'm currently doing Body Beast. I have lost the weight I wanted to lose, but my body is not where I want to to be. And that is with almost 10 months of steady programs.

You didn't get your weight and physical issues in 11 days, you are not going to get results in 11 days. It takes months. Most of us are NOT going to get "as seen on TV" results from Insanity. But, you will ge some results. And, if you keep going, pushing play and pushing harder, you will get what you want. I promise you!!
  • CarlFox1971
    Options
    words of wisdom :)

Many thanks for the tips - i am a stubborn person and determined with it, just sometimes need that shake up and kick in the pants lol.
    I dont check the weight as well aware that muscle weighs more than fat but its the inches in obsessed with, I was always a much fitter leaner person in my 20's and 30's but late 30's and now into first years of 40's has really woken me up now that i need to get back to my younger health and fitness.

Again thanks for the support :)

Carl
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Understand, totally. I'm 48.. 49 in August.
    Just remember, your results from Month 1 will be minimal. Your month 2 results, if you push it hard, will be awesome.
    And, you will be well on your way to the person you want to see in the mirror.
    **Dale**
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you'll be due a fit test soon, that should help when you see how improved you are!
  • CarlFox1971
    Options
    yeah fitness test on monday so looking forwards to it, as long as i can manage more than the first ill be in a better state of mind :)
  • CarlFox1971
    Options
    when it says to keep your core tight in all the exercises am i right in assuming it means engage your core or just clench your stomach muscles all the time ? maybe this sounds a silly question but never really understood its true meaning - any hints would be cool cheers :)
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    when it says to keep your core tight in all the exercises am i right in assuming it means engage your core or just clench your stomach muscles all the time ? maybe this sounds a silly question but never really understood its true meaning - any hints would be cool cheers :)

I think it means to keep your abs in a constant state of flexed or engaged...keep 'em tight. Feel them engage thru the movements and concentrate on the way they contract as you work out. All these moves should be challenging your core, as well as the obvious muscle groups for the specific move(ie...pushups: chest AND core, power squats: hamstrings, glutes AND core). Also, when you do your next ft test, don't look at your previous results beforehand in case you only push yourself to do one or two more. That was a tip I heard and for me it was truth, lol.
  • pinkmoon62
    pinkmoon62 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just finished week one of insanity. I'm happy because my energy is going up but no physical change as well. But you got to keep telling yourself that change will come. It didn't take a day to gain all that weight and it's not going to take a day to lose it. let's admit it: we're not gonna drop 3 jean sizes in a day, we're going to want to quit, we're gonna get tired of caring, and we're not all going to stick with it. But you got to ask yourself. Why did you start? Why are you doing this? Well here's why. You deserve to be and have the body you think you deserve, your body deserves to be treated right, and we all deserve to be healthy. Push on. It's going to be hard. But I'm pushing on, And Hopefully, you'll decide to push on with me.:smile:
  • CarlFox1971
    Options
    many thanks for the advise :)
  • PLTransformations
    PLTransformations Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ive just completed Day 1 of month 2.
    Throughout month one i constantly read up on the phenomenon of weight gain in the initial phases, and believe me its common. So to expect the losses and improvements as seen on tv are unrealistic. I actually gained 5lbs after 2 weeks whilst eating clean. Ive lost that now and another 3lb, so not much, but i feel great!
    My Completed Month 1 photos, compared to pre Insanity photos are a real improvement, and a real uplift.
    I dont expect the results (now) i saw on the infomercial....but i do expect even stronger results at the end.
    Month 1 seems to be all about the REAL Insanity which is month 2!
    So dont be discouraged, though its easier said than done, but push through and compare the before and after photos!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You can't focus on the physical appearance or even the number on the scale. The big results in Insanity come in the final 30 days. These first 30 days are making sure you don't die in the second 30. You need to focus on the small progresses. Have you noticed you are taking less breaks? Are you finally making it through the warm up without a break? (I was well into week two before I could make it through the warm up) Can you push it harded that you did last week? 1 more push up? One more power jump? It's those type of things you have to focus on. If you keep looking in the mirror every morning and stepping on the scale each day, you are going to have issues. Focus on conditioning. When your conditioning gets better and you can push it harder, your results will come.

Just to show my instance, I was only about 20 lbs heavier than I wanted to be and was prior Military, so I wasn't "totally" out of shape when I started my journey. I did Insanity, Les Mills Pump, a hybrid of Pump/Insanity, Les Mills Combat and I'm currently doing Body Beast. I have lost the weight I wanted to lose, but my body is not where I want to to be. And that is with almost 10 months of steady programs.

You didn't get your weight and physical issues in 11 days, you are not going to get results in 11 days. It takes months. Most of us are NOT going to get "as seen on TV" results from Insanity. But, you will ge some results. And, if you keep going, pushing play and pushing harder, you will get what you want. I promise you!!

Thank you! I needed to read this!
  • dynamicpoetry
    Options
    When I first started Insanity I couldn't even do the warmup!!! I spent more than half the workouts collapsed on the floor...and I've had issues with my knees from the plyometrics.

So rather than do the workouts straight through as prescribed I did the 1st two weeks, then a week of the recovery workout (perscribed for week 5 - and that recovery workout is not easy!) until my knees recovered, then went through the first month.

Part of my problem was that I had running shoes...once I got cross trainer shoes I had much fewer problems, though the warmup still hurts the bottoms of my feet (I have flat feet).

Now that I can actually get through the workouts, I'm going to restart month 1 and go through it again because I feel like I'm still improving with the month 1 exercises. I've seen substantial gains on each fitness test -- now more than double on each exercise from where I started. Once I stop seeing improvement from the month 1 exercises, I'll proceed to the month 2 exercises...

My knees still bother me so I mix in some Bob Harper kettlebell workouts on those days my knees can't handle the jumping. The weights also help improve my strength and build muscle. Initially (a month ago) I couldn't get through half of the 45 min kettlebell exercises with even a 10 pound weight. Yesterday I went through the entire workout with a 20 pound weight, with some of the exercises at 25 pounds, and these are pretty grueling workouts.

I don't feel so bad dropping out of Insanity during the workouts from time to time since I see the folks on the video (who I believe are all fitness professionals) dropping out of the exercises to take a break on the sidelines, and if my knees bother me I'll modify the exercise (Like doing air squats instead of power jacks) so I still work the same muscles without all the impact.

As someone else said, we don't get out of shape in a short period so we can't expect to get in shape in a short period...I am going to keep doing these exercises daily until I get the results I want - even if it means spending a year in Month 1 and another year in month 2! By the time I'm done I plan to be a lean mean insanity machine!!! I've actually gotten to where I look forward to getting home after work and hearing Shaun T yelling, "LET"S GOOOOOOO!!!"