I did a menopause diet experiment

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
And it was an epic failure.

Some of you have already heard this on my profile page, but here goes.

I have felt like I can only lose weight these days when I carefully consider the source of my carbohydrates. Everyone goes on and on about "calories in, calories out" and "if it fits your macros", so I decided to do an experiment. I let MFP set my macros, and my calorie level was between what MFP said and what my supposed TDEE-%20 is.
And I ate. I didn't worry much about the source of my carbs. I can't eat gluten, so I don't eat a ton of bread anyway, but I ate GF pizza. I had tacos when I wanted. I had PBJ on GF bread when I wanted... as long as it "fit my macros" and was below my magic number.

Exercise was roughly the same: I run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. I lift weights.

In one month I gained four pounds.

So, back to slow carb I go! Not low, just slow.
I hope this isn't my new normal, as I'd been trying to lose just 5LBS for a year. Now it's 9 lol.

I'm more convinced than ever that for *some* of us, peri-menopause/menopause is a form of insulin resistance.

Replies

• AbbyPDX
    AbbyPDX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I cut down on my carbs big time between December and January and noticed a huge change in one thing - BLOAT. No more belly distention over my jeans randomly (sometimes it would be the next day). But no body fat loss that I know of. How low do you go for your carbs?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Interesting. I cut down on my carbs big time between December and January and noticed a huge change in one thing - BLOAT. No more belly distention over my jeans randomly (sometimes it would be the next day). But no body fat loss that I know of. How low do you go for your carbs?
    YES, definitely true with the bloat. My ring doesn't fit!

I don't count carbs. I don't do LOW carb, just SLOW carb. Brown rice, whole grains, lots of leafy greens. I don't really eat sugar or anything with added sugar.

I've been eating this way for 12ish years (since I first lost 25 pounds).
    And after my one month experiment eating "whatever" (still healthy!) it seems more important than ever for me.
  • AbbyPDX
    Options
    Hm, I'd thought I'd heard it all but 'slow carb' is new to me. I'd say I'm 95% that as well. Like I said, helped with the bloat but not body fat. Do you think the weight you gained was fat or water or...?
    I still haven't figured out what works for me. Trying to hit a sweet spot number-wise and haven't found out yet. Weight/measurements haven't budged since I started tracking (and moving things around testing) for 5 months. This is new to me. Maybe I have some other food group that I need to minimize....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hm, I'd thought I'd heard it all but 'slow carb' is new to me. I'd say I'm 95% that as well. Like I said, helped with the bloat but not body fat. Do you think the weight you gained was fat or water or...?
    I still haven't figured out what works for me. Trying to hit a sweet spot number-wise and haven't found out yet. Weight/measurements haven't budged since I started tracking (and moving things around testing) for 5 months. This is new to me. Maybe I have some other food group that I need to minimize....
    smiles. Not sure anyone really uses "slow carb" except for me. It is the basis of low glycemic diets, and eating plans like South Beach.
    I honestly don't know if it was water, or fat, or a combo.
    I've been eating slow carb since monday and .5LB has budged off. No idea.
    You're right there does seem to be a magical number!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    But if you went from low carb to lots of carbs you will gain water weight. You trained your body not to process them. You need to slowly add carbs. I have never gone low carb and lose just fine with them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    But if you went from low carb to lots of carbs you will gain water weight. You trained your body not to process them. You need to slowly add carbs. I have never gone low carb and lose just fine with them.
    I've NEVER BEEN LOW CARB.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Hi Sabine! I have been similarly experimenting... for me it was to stop logging for the last month. Still no budge on the scale. Next experiment is the Dr. Mosley recommended 2/5 diet, where 2 days a week you eat 1/2 TDEE mostly plants and the other 5 days you just eat a healthy diet as many calories as you want. I got out the blender and cleaned it up. Tomorrow I'm going to start with the vegetable smoothies.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I did the 5:2 for about 8 weeks and keep track of my progress on the 5:2 website. I started out great. Consistently losing about 1 to 2 lbs a week. Then in the 4th week I gained 3 lbs. Never lost it back. I was getting ready to start TOM and it didn't start and didnt' start but I felt crappy. So I think it was a hormonal thing and I couldn't get back on track with 5:2 though I loved the concept and will try it again at a later time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Hi Sabine! I have been similarly experimenting... for me it was to stop logging for the last month. Still no budge on the scale. Next experiment is the Dr. Mosley recommended 2/5 diet, where 2 days a week you eat 1/2 TDEE mostly plants and the other 5 days you just eat a healthy diet as many calories as you want. I got out the blender and cleaned it up. Tomorrow I'm going to start with the vegetable smoothies.
    This sounds pretty do-able. Perhaps I'll give it a try.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that's interesting
  • AbbyPDX
    Options
    I'm giving what I'm doing (as prescribed by Sara and Sidesteel) for another week and a half and if I see no change, I'll probably try out 5:2. I feel like I've tried every calorie amount across the board to see what works for me and none has my weight budging more than 2 lbs in 5 months (amazing!). My mother who is 72 is doing 5:2 and having good success with it. I'm open to anything that's healthy at this point and am finding my body more of a curiosity than anything else :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm giving what I'm doing (as prescribed by Sara and Sidesteel) for another week and a half and if I see no change, I'll probably try out 5:2. I feel like I've tried every calorie amount across the board to see what works for me and none has my weight budging more than 2 lbs in 5 months (amazing!). My mother who is 72 is doing 5:2 and having good success with it. I'm open to anything that's healthy at this point and am finding my body more of a curiosity than anything else :-)
    I've been watching what I eat for 1.5 years and haven't lost a pound. So, if folks see success, I'll try it.