Sara and Patrick!! I need you!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just a quick heads up to the peeps who indicate they are in the same position. What we advise for the OP will be specific to her and may not be the best advice for you. When we give advice, myself and SideSteel take into account all factors that we can and discuss with each other the best course of action for that individual. We often chat off thread to the OP so not everything that we take into account may be apparent to anyone following along. We obviously love people giving support to people asking for advice but caution against assuming that advice is also the best for you.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Just a quick heads up to the peeps who indicate they are in the same position. What we advise for the OP will be specific to her and may not be the best advice for you. When we give advice, myself and SideSteel take into account all factors that we can and discuss with each other the best course of action for that individual. We often chat off thread to the OP so not everything that we take into account may be apparent to anyone following along. We obviously love people giving support to people asking for advice but caution against assuming that advice is also the best for you.

Personally, I'm just interested in what you will advise. I have some opinions but I am curious as to whether your advice will end up being similar to what I would say or not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Personally, I'm just interested in what you will advise. I have some opinions but I am curious as to whether your advice will end up being similar to what I would say or not.

Oh, that was not intended as a indication that we are not happy for people follow along - just not to apply the advice to themselves necessarily.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Oh, that was not intended as a indication that we are not happy for people follow along - just not to apply the advice to themselves necessarily.

:flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm just eavesdropping, don't mind me... :glasses:
  • simplyjustme
    simplyjustme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am new to this and would love to see how this works. Plus I have watched Marnie make a beautiful transformation and hate watching her struggle right now. Hope you don't mind. :glasses:
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just want to follow. My results have been a little different too.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say that there are some variations you can do to the exercises dictated in StrongLifts if you don't have a bench/rack.

Squat -> Hack Squat with straps http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html
    Bench -> Dip Progression and Pushup Progression
    Overhead Press -> 1 Arm DB Press
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Another one merely eavesdropping - if I reply to this topic it reminds me to come back and check in again (aka "rubbernecking").

Hugs to the OP...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

You can do this via this thread or via PM, but could you let us know what your weight has done each week (or for whatever periods you weigh) since January as well as your activity levels - i.e. what your exercise was at the start of the period and any subsequent changes to your routine (e.g. when you added barbell routine and any classes). I know its probably a pain in the donk but the information will be useful.
  • kg6blue
    kg6blue Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel your Pain OP... hang in there!!!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Eavesdropping, as well :)

And yes, you have amazing legs, OP!!!!!!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Hi!

You can do this via this thread or via PM, but could you let us know what your weight has done each week (or for whatever periods you weigh) since January as well as your activity levels - i.e. what your exercise was at the start of the period and any subsequent changes to your routine (e.g. when you added barbell routine and any classes). I know its probably a pain in the donk but the information will be useful.

Hey Sara,

On January 2, 2013, I weighed 153.
    I upped my cals from 1560 to 1700 that week.
    I also started Stronglifts that week, following the plan to the letter three days a week (Tues/Thurs/Sun with a small warmup/cool down of typically 15 minutes). I started at 45lbs for OHP, Chest Press and Pendlay Rows, but started with 65lbs for squats and DL's given my prior lifting experience with DBs. I continued to take my pole class on Saturdays and on Wednesdays I did 30 minutes of incline/speed intervals on my incline trainer.

On or about January 14, 2013, I weighed approximately 155lbs.
    I upped my cals to 1800 a day.
    Same workout routine, but lifts were advancing in weight.

On or about January 28, 2013, I weighed approximately 157lbs (give or take).
    I upped my cals to 1900 a day.
    Same workout routine, but lifts were advancing in weight.

On or about February 11, 2013, I hit 159 for the first time.
    I upped my cals to 2000 (scared sh*tless at this point, lol)
    Same workout routine, but lifts were advancing in weight

On March 1st, the day after lifting, the scale said 161 and I freaked (the next day, after a rest day, I was back to 159 btw).
    I lowered my cals to 1750.
    Same workout routine, but I added a bit more cardio on my lifting days in the hope it would help get rid of the pounds gained.

Mid March, I started adding additional compound and isolation lifts to my SL routine.
    Cardio stayed the same (pole class, incline/speed intervals, and walking as warmup/cool down on lift days).
    My weight typically stayed at 159, but would hit 161 after a lift day.

April I switched to a full body lift routine, same three days a week, which incorporated SL, plus leg press (regular and sumo), standing calf raises, weighted hip thrusters, additional bicep/tricep work.
    Cardio stayed the same (pole class, incline/speed intervals, and walking as warmup/cool down on lift days).
    My weight continued to stay at 159, but continued to hit 161 after a lift day.

The end of April I lowered my cals to 1700 and I started upping my cardio.
    I dropped the additional bicep/tricep work and standing calf raises, but continued with leg press and hip thrusters.
    I started C25K three days a week (I just finished Week 3) and started incorporating Tabata work as well. Still have my pole class once a week.
    My weight continued to stay at 159, but continued to hit 161 after a lift day.

May 6th (I think) is when I lowered my cals to 1650.
    My weight continues to stay around 159, but continues to hit 161 after a lift day.

Of note when it came to my calorie increases: Since I've always gotten well above my necessary intake on protein, my extra calories tended to go more towards carbs and fat (I got to eat full serviings of my favorite chocolate covered almonds instead of just a few), but yes, I upped my protein as well. My ratios are 40/30/30, but I typically tried to keep my carbs at or below my protein intake ... which wasn't so easy to do when I was up to 2000 calories a day, so I know I was consuming more carbs than I was use to prior to upping my cals.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    That is really helpful. Thank you.

What of all of the workouts do you enjoy? I know (or think I know) that you enjoy the pole class and you are not enjoying the lifting program that much. Are you enjoying the others?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Update for the followers:

Occasionally when we get faced with in-depth cases, it's easier to resolve over skype/phone. In this case, Sara and I have discussed the details at length and Sara and MacinCali are going to discuss the general plan.

After that conversation, one of us will post here with cliffs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

So, as we discussed, set your calories at 1,500 and use the following macros:

Protein: 120g
    Fats: 56g

as minimums with the balance where you wish based on preference, energy and satiety.

Could you gives us daily updates as to your weight (PITA, I know) so we can track and determine when a good time would be for a refeed. You can update us via this thread, PMs to either of us, or you can text me if easier. Whatever works best for you.

For anyone following: we are also working out a workout routine that fits Marnie's preferences and available resources but still achieves her goal of lowering BF% while maintaining LBM. Due to limitations of equipment, a routine based about the compound lifts just does not work and, while effective, there is no reason for anyone to do it if it is a pain in the *kitten* and/or they do not enjoy it. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat (I have no idea where that saying came from). The #1 requirement of any resistance training routine is that it should be enjoyable, or at least not a total chore.

Added (as I am a nerd): origin of 'there is more than one way to skin a cat' http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-mor1.htm
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sara and Patrick!!! While I am still reading through the links you provided, I'm excited for the changes to come! I will be lowering my cals (to 1500 as suggested) starting today (why wait, right?!) and hope to begin my new exercise routine next week. :happy:

I know I'll have no problem hitting 120g of protein today ... quite the opposite in fact as I'm usually around 150g ... I assume that is not a problem, correct? I'll set my macros for these new numbers (which looks like it's basically 35/35/30 aka 131g Carbs, 131g Protein and 50g fat), is that okay?

As for the daily weigh-in (ugh, lol), do you have KIK Sara? If not, I'll PM you my daily weight.

(For those following, I already updated my ticker to show my 6 pound gain as it use to say 65 pounds lost, so you'll know if I'm finally losing them cause you can bet your *kitten* I'll be updating my ticker if I do! lol.)

Thanks again guys!!! I'm excited!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I got your Kik message so will check it regularly.

That level of protein is fine and the macro settings work.

I am really happy that you are excited about the plan.