Cholesterol

Options
My doc is cincerned about my cholesterol. This wasnt a prib befire i started atkins. Wondering if i should switch to low fat and maybe southbeach. Thoughts?

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Has your cholesterol gone up since you started? The bad cholesterol that is.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    What are your actual numbers (not just overall cholesterol) from before and current?
  • kivaharper
    kivaharper Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes, it has gone up. Any suggestions? Sorry for the delay.
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started low carb/high fat in November - my glucose was creeping up (114) and my totals were high 249 - with my Triglycerides at 181 - after just 2 months of eating in this way my total dropped to 172 with my Triglycerides down to 80. I had previously been on Simvistatin which was giving me very bad leg cramps so at the time I started eating low carb I also stopped the meds....

I don't have all my numbers handy but eating this way LOWERED my cholesterol - and I have bacon and eggs every day! This has been a god send for me and because my triglycerides are down so is my sugar....

Every body is different but low carb is definately helping my over all health.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Hmmm... My suggestion is actually going to sound off-the-wall, but it is based on what I've read (and heard in podcasts) from experts. Cholesterol may actually be our friend, as it is sent out as a healing agent. Inflammation is actually the bad guy in heart disease and other health issues. Putting these things together, it could be that as inflammation goes up, cholesterol goes up, but cholesterol is actually a reaction, not a culprit. (It's been compared to fireman going out to put out a fire; we wouldn't blame the firemen for the fire just because we see them in large numbers around fires, but that's what we're doing when we blame the cholesterol when we see it in large numbers around inflammation).

So, before chucking keto/LCHF, I'd suggest making sure that everything you ate is anti-inflammatory, particularly by making sure that you get in plenty of Omega-3s and vitamin D3. I'll let you google other keto-friendly anti-inflammatory foods or supplements.

Please remember that IANAD, and that even doctors are admitting that the role of cholesterol, while being widely questioned as the "real problem", is still not fully understood.