I have two questions! Activity level & resistance bands

Options
misskym
misskym Posts: 52 Member
I'm having a slightly difficult time determing my activity level. I've had it set at lightly active 1-3hrs/wk, but I suppose I just want reassurance that I've chosen the correct level. I'm using Katch formula for determining my TDEE.

I am training 3 times per week using C25k (except for this last week). My C25k work outs are generally 35 minutes each, so 105 minutes every week. I also do a modified version of SL 5x5 for approximately 60 minutes every week. This has me at a weekly exercise time of 2.75 hours. I'm also active at work and with the children during the day, but I didn't include that because I didn't know if I should. If I do, that pushes my weekly exercise time to a little over 3 hours.

I've been eating at TDEE since May 2nd. I've lost 0.4 pounds, so does that mean I'm right at my TDEE or that I'm still a little under?

I have started a modified version of SL 5x5 with resistance bands. Free weights at home or at the gym is not feasible time or money wise at the moment, but I want to do *some* sort of strength training. I know I can only get so far with the resistance bands I have now, and I also know resistance bands are not to be compared with free weights. I do feel a "burn" when I use the bands, but will using the bands get me any where at all in terms of toning/definition - even if not in the same degree of free weights?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    TDEE includes everything, so yes your busy day on your feet moving counts.

The traditional TDEE levels only go up with exercise, you are starting out Lightly Active with daily activity already, exercise just increases it another level really.

If you lost weight, you aren't at TDEE.

And even that deficit could be off a suppressed TDEE, meaning you are eating more, body is less stressed, and metabolism has gone up decently. But it could still be suppressed because you are still undereating, and if you ate more, metabolism would raise even more, and you'd actually have chance of bigger deficit.

Use this to help include your daily activity and consistent workouts.

Bands would probably be considered medium cardio, true it's not lifting, though it's wearing you out.

It may have the same effect on your body right now though if it's tough, so that's good.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you, heybales. I always appreciate your insight!

If I raise my activity level to moderately active 3-5hrs/wk, Katch puts me at 2328 for TDEE. If that's my TDEE and I eat it for two weeks, I shouldn't see a gain or loss, right? If I gain, that means it's over my TDEE? How much would I gain in two weeks if I'm over TDEE?

*ETA: The spreadsheet has me at 2157 TDEE. Should I use that figure or Scooby's Katch figure?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Spreadsheet - because you aren't guessing an activity level, it's basing it on your actual time and type of activity.

The Katch BMR is the same (there is no such thing as Katch TDEE, those TDEE levels are based on the same 1919 study that led to the Harris BMR calculation) if you used the same BF% in the stats.

You would have to be eating 250 calories over your TDEE to slowly gain 1 lb in 2 weeks.

If anything is fast, it wasn't fat but water. Outside a high sodium meal, the only fast water weight gain is storing more glucose along with water.
    Why would glucose finally store a chunk? Because you had been depleted on normal eating level, so it wasn't TDEE.

Fast gain - previous level wasn't TDEE.
    Slow gain - raising metabolism that isn't there yet, or eating over potential TDEE.