Couch to 5k and losing weight?

Options
Ghlt4
Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
I started C25k 3 weeks ago in the hopes my plateau would end. I've been stuck at the same weight for 6 months. I have about 20-25lbs to go. I increased my calories to 1400-1500. I used to eat 1200. I've NEVER worked out so hard. I took measurements when I started this program, and they haven't changed either. I'm so frustrated!!.,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my weight moving again?

Replies

• bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Could you give us an idea of what types of foods you are eating? Let's break through!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm with bettepower. What are you eating? Have you calculated your TDEE and all that stuff?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I you have just started 3 weeks ago, and are eating between 1400-1500 calories give it time. You are still in the early stage of the program, meaning your body is probably still retaining water as your muscles work to repair themselves. Once the distance/time increases and you burn more you will start to lose. But I have to ask...are you taking measurements? Often times our loss shows up in inches not weight.

Give it another 2-3 weeks before you start shifting diet.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    My TDEE is 1700s. Im eating -15-20% below that. I eat a plant based diet. Lots of vegetables, beans, hummus, fruit, oats, rice etc.

The 69lbs I've lost came off very steadily over an year and a half.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    I you have just started 3 weeks ago, and are eating between 1400-1500 calories give it time. You are still in the early stage of the program, meaning your body is probably still retaining water as your muscles work to repair themselves. Once the distance/time increases and you burn more you will start to lose. But I have to ask...are you taking measurements? Often times our loss shows up in inches not weight.

Give it another 2-3 weeks before you start shifting diet.

Yes, I've done measurements, and nothing has changed yet.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Running is a new thing for your body and it'll take time for your body to adjust before using the runs to help burn. This is just from my experience. I am finishing W7D3 today. It took me maybe 4-5 weeks before I started noticing a loss from the program. To keep me moving forward, I kept reminding myself that I can feel my muscles in my legs growing. Peronally, I also know if I were to eat better, then my weight may fall off faster.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Running is a new thing for your body and it'll take time for your body to adjust before using the runs to help burn. This is just from my experience. I am finishing W7D3 today. It took me maybe 4-5 weeks before I started noticing a loss from the program. To keep me moving forward, I kept reminding myself that I can feel my muscles in my legs growing. Peronally, I also know if I were to eat better, then my weight may fall off faster.

Thanks, maybe I'm just expecting to much too soon. I just thought it would start moving because I've never pushed myself so hard. My diet is very clean, so nothing I can change there.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    are you tiny? 1700 TDEE is pretty low. What are your stats? Age, height, weight...etc.
  • minnndymae
    minnndymae Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started C25K 3 weeks ago too, and like you haven't noticed much differece on the scale, but like one of the others said, I know its doing something for my body--I can FEEL it. Not in inches (I've taken mesurements as well) or in weight, but I can actually feel my muscles moving and working during the day, when I'm not exercising. I am a little disappointment about not seeing a difference yet too, but just keep thinking that something is bound to give soon.....hang in there!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There are some people who plateau for week or months and then see a drop. Then plateau and drop. Then plateau and drop. It's really frustrating and many of the people I see wanting to give up follow that pattern. It will take you 6-8 weeks to start adding new muscle as a runner and that will help a lot.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to stick with it. I'm loving doing the program.

Let hope the results will soon follow!
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I´ve been stuck with my weight for month too and I finished C25K and started bridge to 10k. No weightloss but I got really nice muscles at my legs and I feel amzing. Just the weight doesn´t move. I don´t want to discourage you, maybe don´t focus on the weightloss.
    Just stick with the program, it has so many other benefits besides the weightloss aspect. Maybe the weightloss will come. Maybe you will just get fitter and get a very trained body.
    BTW I never measured inches, my clothes don´t seem to be too large. I could adapt my belt by one hole so far.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    I find the scale so frustrating. If I weigh in when I'm sore.it always says I haven't lost. But my body looks great so I'm just gonna keeo doing what I'm doing.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    There are some people who plateau for week or months and then see a drop. Then plateau and drop. Then plateau and drop. It's really frustrating and many of the people I see wanting to give up follow that pattern. It will take you 6-8 weeks to start adding new muscle as a runner and that will help a lot.

I'm one of the "plateau girls" myself. I consistent have to weight a month between losses, sometimes longer, but then I'll shed 4 pounds in a week. It is frustrating, but do hang in there. It's been 70 pounds that I've lost and I STILL have to talk myself through the plateaus because they are hard to just "wait" through. It'll average out, hang in there.
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1400-1500 calories and working out hard, without eating back any of your exercise calories, you're probably below your BMR. There is a good probability your plateau is partially stemming from that. If you are eating back your exercise calories, you definitely want to make sure you are netting your BMR daily at the very minimum.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1400-1500 calories and working out hard, without eating back any of your exercise calories, you're probably below your BMR. There is a good probability your plateau is partially stemming from that. If you are eating back your exercise calories, you definitely want to make sure you are netting your BMR daily at the very minimum.

I agree. Sounds like you need to eat more to me.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find the scale so frustrating. If I weigh in when I'm sore.it always says I haven't lost. But my body looks great so I'm just gonna keeo doing what I'm doing.

Your muscles retain water to repair themselves, so if you're weighing in the day after a workout and your muscles are sore, there's a good chance the scale will be up. Try to weigh the day after a rest day, before your workout.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1800-2000 calories a day and have found that my weight didn't start moving until I got to the end of the program and was running continuously 3 times a week. Now it is coming off 1-2lb a week. I did notice a big difference in my fitness though and felt great while doing it, and even though the weight wasn't shifting I did lose 5% body fat!