Losing motivation..

Options
vikkiitoria
vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
So today was the toughest day I've had since I started this. It was week 4 day 3 of c25k. I've done it 2 times already this week and although it was pretty hard I managed to push through, so I didn't think today would be much harder considering its the same workout. So I put on my shoes and headed to the basement where my treadmill is and by the time the first 3 minute run was over I just got so tired and frustrated and hopped off the treadmill took off my shoes and went upstairs. I finally convinced myself that I could do it and went back downstairs, slowed down a little and finished it. You think that I'd be happy but I'm just more discouraged than ever. I can barely finish this week how on earth am I ever gonna do the 8 minute run let alone the 20!! I can't slow down because I'm already going as slow that I can. When I start running I'm just praying that it will be over. I was seriously considering quitting this today. Should I repeat week 4?

Replies

• drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggle threw every single run but am usually able to make it until the end. The 20 minute run took me 2 tries but that's okay. Everyone.... And I do mean Everyone has bad runs. If you feel like you need to re-do the week there is no shame in that! But you might surprise yourself if you keep pushing forward. Good luck! Don't give up!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'd take a couple days rest, just forget about it for a few days then try again.
    I think you dont want to move on to week 5 and find yourself even more discouraged... dont worry about speed take it slow and give it ago whether it be W5 or W4 you can do it :) you just need to get your confidence back.
    I find if I'm not looking forward to a run/workout of any sort I might as well not bother because I dont put enough into it.... but if I'm really ready for it I find it easier and more enjoyable.
    x
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try W5D1 and see how it goes. You did make it through and the program is set up the way it is for a reason. Trust the process and move forward. If it doesn't work out then try it again. I say if you made it through then go forward. If not, then repeat that day. Don't move backward. People repeat weeks and days all the time! You have to do what you feel is best for you and your body. I have the utmost faith in you!
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same so many times, especially around the end of the fourth week. But like mamabear says, trust the program. I decided that though it was hard, it must be doable because otherwise why would the program be like that? And when I managed an 8 minute run when previously I thought that a 5 minute run was the hardest thing ever I felt SO proud of myself!

I have had one day where I just couldn't go on...I felt AWFUL about it, but I tried again the next day and managed it :)
    Just give it a go, and if you find you're feeling ill or really can't push through the mental barrier to doing it, then stop and repeat it the next day.

I'm dreading the 20 minute run as well, but we can do it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to try W5D1 and see how it goes. You did make it through and the program is set up the way it is for a reason. Trust the process and move forward. If it doesn't work out then try it again. I say if you made it through then go forward. If not, then repeat that day. Don't move backward. People repeat weeks and days all the time! You have to do what you feel is best for you and your body. I have the utmost faith in you!

This is exactly right. Week 3, personally, kicked my butt because I was still going too fast. However, more people have challenges with week 4 if they haven't slowed up enough. It's an important lesson to learn for getting through week 5.

Everybody is worried about the 20 minute run. You don't need to even think about it now because you're not ready for it yet. However, trust that you WILL be ready for it in a week, after you finish 5.2.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Are you eating properly?

I only ask as sometimes when I've been doing 30DS it's been a real struggle even though the previous day was easy peasy and the only thing I can put it down to is variations in diet. So I've started having a smoothie as well as my normal breakfast if I know I'm going to be expending a bit more energy such as today when I'll do c25k & 30DS on the same day.
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Week 4-5 were my toughest mentally. I really wanted to quit and didn't feel like I was making that much progress. And it WAS hard. I was sick for 2 weeks and when I went back, started at week 5 and moved to the out-of-doors to get ready more my 5K. It was 90% in my head and I'm glad I pushed through it. I'm getting to the point now where I (almost) look forward to my workouts!!
    Also looking at how many miles I logged overall and how many workouts I've completed made me feel good.

Let's do it!!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe slow down even more? I run outside, but have to make myself slow down to be able to make it through. (Completed W5,D3 today- a solid 2 mile run!)

Don't give up!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to let you in on a little secret that us runner's have....

This happens to all of us, and more often than we are willing to admit to others.

You wake up, and just don't wanna run. You dread it...and when you go out there and run anyway, at the end you still hate it. But, here is the part that separates the people who will give up and the people who will continue on.....

....Runners know that bad runs happen. They will happen through out your entire running career. They happen to new runners, and they happen to marathoners. The key to recognize and understand that everyone has them, and learn from them. Is there something you ate the day before that maybe messed up your mojo? Did you hydrate the day before? Do you have an injury? Is it just your mind playing tricks on you?

Relax, and keep going. Everyone will have a bad run....they happen to everyone.