Discussion and Questions

Options
chasero
chasero Posts: 70 Member
I've noticed that a few of us occasionally post questions and some will be answered while others remain hidden among other comments. I figured we could try this thread out as a central location for our questions and answers within our Support Group. Makes it easier for us all to refer back to questions or read others.

A question I have is how many of y'all have an HRM? I just ordered my FT7M Black/Silver [http://www.shoppolar.com/90036746.html] to give me a decent reading and actual number to log onto MyFitnessPal. I know that those of us (mostly males, and some women) that have chest hair would have a more difficult time with the reading of the chest strap. Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Apart from shaving that part of your chest I imagine you could get a gel. Saliva or sweat are probably helpful,too, probably more than wetting the area.
  • chasero
    Options
    Thanks!
    Another question I have for y'all is about Rest Days. I know answers will vary but with y'all knowing the general intensity of Insanity, would it be wise to walk/jog 4 miles on Rest Day or should I just hole up my now energized (yet sore) body to normal, everyday tasks?
  • jodyb23
    jodyb23 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started on May 6th, it's rough but i'm enjoying it! I'm wondering if it's okay to do this work out on carpet? It's the only area of my house where there's a tv. I'm noticing some knee and ankle pain today so I'm looking forward to the rest.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Most people work out on their floor or carpet, with shoes on.

Chasero - 4 miles means walking for an hour or so - I think it's totally fine. Going for a 2 hour stroll would probably mean same thing. Jogging would be too much for me today, even if it would be just 20 minutes... but if your body feels fine with it - why not?
  • chasero
    Options
    yeah, I'm just now addicted to keep on moving. I'm already noticing little things after a week and I just want to keep it moving beyond a normal day's routine. Jody, I would workout on the carpet if I could. Unfortunately, we have hardwood floor, so it ain't easy on the joints. I Almost always have to drag an area rug with me when the guys on Insanity use those rubber mat things. Wear shoes (and socks!), I tried getting away with just shoes, but the socks make alot of difference to me, even though they are thin.
  • aletadiana
    aletadiana Posts: 54
    Options
    Great idea to start this board...thanks Chasero!
    I have heard that staying sedentary on a rest day is one of the WORST things you could do. But I think that means different for everyone. For me weekends mean a lot of errands and household things like that so I try and save my gardening, yard work, vacuuming etc...for the rest day, that way it keeps me moving. I will usually try and take the dog for a long walk or take a stroll with my boyfriend if there is not a lot of other stuff going on. (although I just started insanity again this week I have been exercising 6 days per week for 7 weeks now to get used to it....so I think my energy level is different as well) I agree with SleeplessinBerlin that it would be too much for me to run or jog on those days, and I want to let my muscles have a chance to recover before jumping in again. What I have read on insanity is that it is designed the way it is to provide max interval training and rest and recovery days are essential for the muscles, but at the end of the day we all know our bodies best! I am just stating things I have heard...I am in a newbie just like all you guys when it comes to this so I guess we will just learn as we go!
  • aletadiana
    Options

A question I have is how many of y'all have an HRM? I just ordered my FT7M Black/Silver [http://www.shoppolar.com/90036746.html] to give me a decent reading and actual number to log onto MyFitnessPal.

I would LOVE suggestions from people who have HRMs. I have been thinking of getting one but have no idea where to start!
  • Suzeboo
    Suzeboo Posts: 50
    Options
    Hey There Guys,
    Here is a question

Is it a good idea to do two workouts at once?? I have just re-started 30DS as I had a major emotional setback and now want to get back on it and shift last months weight!!! I really want to do Insanity at the same time as I had bought it to start this month!!! I'm looking forward to it, have some time on my hands and feel that I need something extra!!! What do you reckon????

Thanks Peeps
  • chasero
    Options
    I have heard that staying sedentary on a rest day is one of the WORST things you could do. ... I want to let my muscles have a chance to recover before jumping in again. What I have read on insanity is that it is designed the way it is to provide max interval training and rest and recovery days are essential for the muscles, but at the end of the day we all know our bodies best!
    I agree, to each their own, since no one knows their body more than themselves. Thanks for the reminder of how Insanity works. I'll probably just walk the 4 miles (or do 3/4 walk and 1/4 jog on each lap).
    I would LOVE suggestions from people who have HRMs. I have been thinking of getting one but have no idea where to start!
    For HRM's, I've searched the forums for suggestions and most keep pointing towards the Polar and Garmin Brand. Sportsline brand seems to have a problem with breaking within the first month, so I wouldn't suggest that. Mine hasn't come in yet but if you go with Polar, I wouldn't go any higher than the FT7 if you're crunching money (the FT40/60/80 seems geared towards the hardcore athletes who want Fit Test function built into the HRM as well as a personal training schedule according to their input.). Garmin Seems to be the choice for those who want built in GPS in their HRMs.
    If you do go with Polar each HRM has a "Male" and "Female" version, I'm not sure if those are preset genders (since men and women are a little different) or if it allows you to input Gender regardless of the "gender model" on the site. Supposedly we are able to input Height, Weight, Age, Gender, HRMax, and Gender(not sure on this, refer to previous sentence or I can tell you after mine comes in). Either way, I strongly suggest buying your HRM from Amazon and not their official Retailers. My HRM is valued at $119.95 on the official site, but I got mine brand new from Amazon for $63.99.

Here's a Forum link where it talks about some of the things I've stated above: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/984362-question-about-hrm?hl=HRM#posts-15042182
    Is it a good idea to do two workouts at once??...What do you reckon????
    I'm on the fence about this one personally. Hopefully I won't miss a day, but if I do, I would consider the following options:
    <1> Double up the next day to catch up on missed day
    <2> I would follow the "Prescription Medicine" principle. i.e. if you miss a dose, don't double up, just pick up normal use with the next dose (or in your case, workout) essentially "pushing back" the entire schedule by each day you miss.
    <3> Or, I would replace the day I missed with my "Rest Day" and end up Working out on the normal Rest Day (this messes up the recovery formula that the program was based on, but it'll only potentially affect 1 day.)
    Me, personally, I would double up the next day to make up for my missed day. However, only you know how you can handle the program by shifting it slightly to help make up missed days. Hope this helps

p.s., if you're meaning "two workouts" as in two completely different routines, There are alot of Hybrid programs out there to pair up with Insanity. It's generally not a good idea to pair up a Cardio Based Program Day for Day with a Strength Training Program (ex. Les Mills Combat with P90X, or even Insanity with P90X). My assumption of the "generally not good idea" with the cardio and strength training pairings comes from me having yet run into Hybrid programs where two workouts follow, Day by Day. (I have ran into one with P90X and Insanity [Insanity in AM, P90X in PM] but it seems real hardcore. I'd research more into it if I were you, wanting to do something like that).
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    Options
    Suzeboo, be careful. Insanity is no joke. Try it first and decide if you still think you're gonna have enough energy to do another workout. And if you're honestly doing your absolute best during both workouts. Especially if you had a break, I imagine that doing it all at once might be too much - physically AND mentally.
  • talenarenee
    talenarenee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm responding to a couple of things on here.

1) HRM: I use a Mia Motiva wrist unit. It's not as precise as a good high end HRM but it's one of the best strapless ones. With my large bust, I find chest straps to be really uncomfortable and cumbersome. Since using a HRM, I've noticed that I've been more reliable and motivated with my workouts to keep it at a high intensity.

2) Doubling up: I sorta do this but not with 30DS and Insanity. I think that might be a bit too much. I go for a 2.6 mile walk in the morning with a co-worker near our apartments. Because we live in a hilly area and walk a pretty decent pace, I burn about 300+ calories in those 40 min. Then I teach all day and do my Insanity workout in the evening. But if you're spacing your 30DS and Insanity workouts like that, then maybe it won't be as tough.
  • aletadiana
    Options
    Just bought my HRM....I can't wait to see how many calories I burn! I should have it tomorrow so I will be able to use it for pure cardio. I got this one:
    Just in case anyone else is looking to purchase one. This was based on Chasero's recommendations, the forum he posted, and both of my downstairs neighbors (who are fitness professionals) recommendations.
  • chasero
    Options
    Just bought my HRM....I can't wait to see how many calories I burn! I should have it tomorrow so I will be able to use it for pure cardio. I got this one:

Uh Oh, the link disappeared, heh. Where'd it go? I'm curious to see which one you got (I'm sure you'll re-edit your post with the link on it). I'm also curious to see what the fitness professionals said about it (I never did consult a professional before, I guess cause I'm cheap and I always think I gotta pay 'em for answering a simple question hahaha.
    As for those of you who read my earlier post about HRM and "Gender Model" vs "Gender Input," I've confirmed you'll be able to set your Gender in the settings, even if the "Gender Model" on the website for Polar says M (male) or F (female).

Also, I'm glad I could be of some help with choosing an HRM. I enjoy my FT7 and it's functionality; it has just the right amount of features and not too hard to use.
  • aletadiana
    Options
  • aletadiana
    Options
    I'm also curious to see what the fitness professionals said about it (I never did consult a professional before, I guess cause I'm cheap and I always think I gotta pay 'em for answering a simple question hahaha.

oh man...I didn't know what else to call them, I'm not sure "fitness professional" is the right word. One is a gym manager at Harvard University and a Marathon runner and the other is a swimming instructor at the YMCA and also participates in cross fit type boot camps. LOL...so they are very helpful with many things, but they aren't personal trainers or anything. I just bought the HRM they both suggested for me....they have the one up from that, same one you bought the F7 but this one seemed to fit what a needed so I saved the $10
  • chasero
    Options
    Here's another question I have for y'all, more like suggestions and discussion this time. What are some good food ideas to eat up on this Sunday, in preparation for "Exam Day" (aka. Fit Test Day). I sure don't want to me sluggish and slower than a snail on that day, I want to make sure my numbers aren't affected too much by exhaustion/low energy. I decided to post this to give it a whole weekend's notice and maybe a couple responses at least.
  • aletadiana
    Options
    reposted for discussion thread..

A lot of others that I see are regularly burning in the 500's for the non-pure cardio workouts and in the high 600 low 700's for the pure cardio/ab combo. BOOOO! I am definitely working out within my heart range. I am not supposed to go above 185 and I was generally up around 165-170 which I thought was a good place to be. I'll have to do some research, unless anyone else has suggestions!
  • aletadiana
    Options
    Here's another question I have for y'all, more like suggestions and discussion this time. What are some good food ideas to eat up on this Sunday, in preparation for "Exam Day" (aka. Fit Test Day). I sure don't want to me sluggish and slower than a snail on that day, I want to make sure my numbers aren't affected too much by exhaustion/low energy. I decided to post this to give it a whole weekend's notice and maybe a couple responses at least.

My instincts tell me...lots of lean proteins, avoid refined sugars and make sure all carbs are whole grain or natural (ie: whole grain bread, fresh fruits)

Ideally my meals tomorrow will hopefully look something like this, We will see! :
    B: egg white omelette with cheddar cheese, tomatoes and any other veggies I have hanging around
    S: Apple and reduced fat cheese stick
    L: Turkey Burgers, grilled sweet potatoes and salad
    S: chobani yogurt
    D: Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and left over sweet potatoes
  • chasero
    Options
    reposted for discussion thread..

A lot of others that I see are regularly burning in the 500's for the non-pure cardio workouts and in the high 600 low 700's for the pure cardio/ab combo. BOOOO! I am definitely working out within my heart range. I am not supposed to go above 185 and I was generally up around 165-170 which I thought was a good place to be. I'll have to do some research, unless anyone else has suggestions!

Just to shoot off a number for you, according to the Karvonen Formula:
    THR=[(HRmax-HRrest) X %Intensity] + HRrest
    You, as a woman with your age (I'm pulling from your profile) would have a baseline (meaning it's different for everyone but can follow the following baseline as a "rule of thumb") of HRrest: 74 and HRmax: 176. Using the Heart Rate App that calculates based on the Karvonen Formula, these are your ranges:
    Warm Up: 50-60% (125bpm - 135bpm)
    Fat Burn: 60-70% (135bpm-145bpm)
    Cardio: 70-80% (145bpm-155bpm)
    Extreme: 80-90% (155bpm-165bpm)
    Max: 90-100% (165bpm-176bpm)

Though, honestly, it doesn't match up with you being in the 165-170bpm. I'm wondering how fit you are, or what your actual HRrest is; calculate it manually since the above information was "autocalculated" and didn't take much into consideration besides gender and age input.

However, keep in mind that this is just a ballpark figure; I personally use this: http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/target-heart-rate.php
    This takes into consideration your age, fitness level and HRrest. Last I used that, it was advising me to stay within 150-162bpm, which correlates to the Karvonen Formula for "Cardio" (153-165bpm) for my age and gender.

If you'd prefer to do the formula manually, go for it: Here's a link for that as well: http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate

Also, whichever method you choose to figure out your target heart rate, make sure not to stay in Extreme Zone, for too long. It's an anaerobic stage, creating lactic acid if muscles (cells) are deprived of oxygen for extended period of time (Brooker, Widmaier, Graham, and Stiling). Pyruvate, broken down from Glucose by way of Glycolysis is a secondary form of energy our muscle uses in cases where our required energy exceeds our intake of oxygen. This pyruvate is broken down into lactate, allowing energy production to continue in the absence of oxygen (Stephen). Without getting Biologically Specific into the actual process, it is simply a "natural defense mechanism" to prevent damage (Brooker, Widmaier, Graham, and Stiling).

Whichever the case, only use it as a general guideline (I'm sure you know this) and if you're really wanting to fork out some money, go get it evaluated at a physicians. I hope this was of some help.

Sources where information was pulled:

Brooker, Robert J., Eric Widmaier, Linda Graham, and Peter Stiling. Biology. 2nd. New York: McGraw-Hill Science Engineering, 2011. Print.

Stephen, M. R.. N.p.. Web. 18 May 2013. <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-does-lactic-acid-buil>.
  • chasero
    Options
    Pink_Cheek (Daily Log: May 18th)'
    Pure Cardio and Cardio abs complete...I am sure my Cardio abs looked nothing like what it should have, but I did it...the best I could. Used my Bodybugg for todays workout and I am confused as to why MFP is now telling me I can eat 2000cals vs the 12-1500 it normally does...oh well I will figure it out

Did you record the calories burned from the Bodybug into your MFP? MFP is based on a NEAT Calculator, gathering your personal information and how active you are (without including exercise), it then spits out a baseline number according to your information and goal (lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/973994-eating-back-calories?hl=eat+back+calories&page=2#posts-14871534. With that being said, any exercise you do and the resulting calories burned are not figured into the Daily Caloric goal, it is your responsibility to be honest and plug that in on a per workout basis. You must eat back those calories you burned, especially if you're following a 1200 calorie diet...you don't need to be starving yourself, hindering your progress (I know there is a thread where someone followed the 1200 Calorie diet and followed a workout program, she didn't eat back her calories. Her results were okay externally, but internally I'm sure she wrecked havoc on her immune system and metabolism (there's no way to prove this from her and I don't think she'd be willing to expose her "wrongdoing" if she admitted she had low energy, or health problems. Of course..she could be an extreme case and medically she's different than the rest of us in regards to the 1200 Calorie topic): {Placeholder for the mentioned Thread in case I run into it again}.)