Are you watching what you eat?

Options
Ok everyone I really want to hunker down and make the best of this and get the best results :wink: So i know I need to change what I am eating to an extent. I do not want to change completely as I know i will end up eating the same stuff eventually. :huh:

As of now I really have cut down my portion size of what I eat and it has helped me not gain but not lose either. So now I need to make better choices :tongue: I just sat here playing around with the calorie counter log thing (:laugh: ) trying to figure out some food I like to eat that may be better choices to see if I am getting enough calories and not too much fat, sugars, sodium and carbs. I was coming short on my calories by like 400, over on my protein and ok on everything else.

So for those who are watching what they are eating could you give myself and others an idea of what you have been eating? I think this will help us all get way better results :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I"m starting to be EVEN MORE careful about diet now too for the same reason. I feel like inhaling food the entire rest of the day after workout, so I gotta check what I'm consuming. Also--my new ab muscles seem to be do a fabulous job of lifting and pushing out all the fat still on my stomach!:noway:

I'm keeping my calories inside of tdee and eating back calories. this workout is so intense for me there's just no way I can cut back calories this month. IMO, that's a bad idea.

I'm also going for LOTS of fiber foods, like oatmeal, ground flax seed, beans, and quinoa, and throwing in lots of raw greens and fruit....and for the first time ever, cutting back on the olive oils and fats that make them taste decent (unfortunately).

I'm a vegan and wonder if I'm not getting enough protein. Last night I literally had 2 separate dreams during the night about eating fish!! wonder if I should maybe have some for dinner tonight.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    This isn't my first time doing the 30DS. The first time I did it, a few years back after I had my first son, I had to definitely watch my diet for results. I'm a junk food lover, so all that wasn't helping me achieve the results I wanted even though I was running and exercising 4-5x a week.

Once I watched my sugar intake and my processed carbs, I saw results on both the scale and my body.

Now, granted, this was a while back, but my meals went something like this:

Breakfast: 2 egg whites, protein powder in milk, or protein powder in plain greek yogurt

snack: fruit

Lunch: salad with tuna or a wrap inside lavash bread (Lavash bread has tons of fiber!)

snack: veggies or fruit with almond butter

Dinner: huge serving of protein (chicken, fish, beef), big side of veggies, small serving of rice

snack: protein powder in milk or yogurt

So I never let myself get hungry. If I was hungry, I'd make sure I'd have at least 8 glasses of water a day. And if that didn't help, I'd snack on chicken breasts, veggies, fruits, hummus, etc. My calories were well above 1200. I ate often. There were days where I felt like I was eating all the time.

To change up meals, incorporate different seasons for meats. Use Mrs. Dash. Use pesto sauce. Get creative! Cutting out sugar in the morning really helped me too.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I am watching what I eat to an extent. I have minimum goals for protein, fats, and fiber and a maximum goal for carbs. I try to get as many fats as I can from good sources (i.e. not processed fats).

Currently my goals are set to a max of 140 grams carbs, minimum 62 grams of fat, minimum 120 grams of protein, minimum 22 grams of fiber. I have my calorie goal set to 1600 but only set it to that to get my grams of everything at the max and min I want. I really usually eat between 1400-1800 calories a day. A couple of days a week, I don't really do any exercise or anything so on those days I try to keep it around 1400 while still meeting my minimum goals for everything. On days that I work out, I eat 1800 calories.

I just started doing this Wednesday so I don't really know how sustainable it will be. I have been bouncing around shifting my calorie goals and macro goals pretty much non stop and then I read something that sounded good to me about how it isn't necessarily about the % of calories coming from a certain source but that you should take in a minimum amount of protein based on your body weight. I also read an article on Mark's Daily Apple saying that:
    100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz2TZ4slHZO

so that is where I set my carb goal from. I am not eating primal so I don't know if it will end up working or not but I am trying to get at least some of my carbs from healthier sources.

My diary is open but I don't usually log on weekends and like I said I just started doing this a few days ago so don't know yet. Before I started doing this I had my goals set to 1800 calories with 40/30/30 ratios,
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am in Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet so I'm definitely watching what I eat. Phase 2 starts on Sunday and I'm looking forward to introducing grains and other carbs back into my eating plan. I want to try quinoa.
  • bpalferys
    bpalferys Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm doing the 5:2 (Fast) diet, so 2 days of the week I 'fast' and have only 500cal (usually at dinnertime) and the rest of the time I'm limiting my calories to approximately 1400. I avoid carbs when I can (especially on fast days) and have completely gone off sugar, even in my tea! Still quite attracted to fatty foods though.

5:2 is a long-term game which is why I've started the shred as well, as I'm going on holiday on the 12th June and want to be slimmer and more toned by then. Now that I'm back at uni buying all my own food I am shopping much more wisely, buying lots of fruits, veg and some meat. I don't eat bread very often. I swear by Weetabix for breakfast. In general, just trying to make healthier choices and measure/weigh everything so that I don't overeat.

It's a slow learning process but I'm getting there!

Also- homemade, homemade, homemade! Made my own pasta sauce the other day and it was so many less calories than anything shop-bought. It pays to take the time to make your own stuff. I'm sure many of you already do this, but as a student this is almost a revelation!
  • alhunt8587
    alhunt8587 Posts: 157
    Options
    Yes! Getting fit is 80% kitchen, 20% gym. The cleaner you eat the better results you will see! :)
  • Tanya1995
    Tanya1995 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I look forward to seeing everyone's results :) Keep up the good work everyone!!!
  • brookemcfarlin12
    Options
    I've been eating very clean and well since I started exercising and making the life change on tuesday. Yesterday I kind of let myself go, but I'm definitely going to keep pushing and keeping up the pace!
    I noticed that when I drink a lot of water, I'm not as hungry as I used to be... another factor was that I kept snacking mindlessly.. Usually when i'm bored, I end up finding some chips and going at it.
    I'm very glad though that I have changed my diet for this 30 day shred, so I can get maximum results by my high school graduation :)
  • raccy25
    raccy25 Posts: 7
    Options
    I read a quote a while back that said "Abs are made in the gym and revealed in the kitchen".
    I love it, makes me imagine that there is a 6-pack waiting for me underneath all this fat, I just need to eat well to see it!