newbie to this site

Options
Hey all. I am not quite 50, but couple more yeards I will.be. I am a fiesty one though! I get agressive when it comes to my weight loss and I am being challenged to lose as much as I am by my doctor. I have exactly 4 weeks to lose another 14 lbs. I can and will do this. One way or another. I will opt to fast a day a week or something if necessary. I am serious about this challenge. I am 202 today, and must be 188 by June 19th early in the morning. I have to fast that morning for blood work to check my cholesterol. I have hiugh hopes of doing this. I am at a strict 1200 cals per day but I dont beat myself up if I go as high as 1500. I am doing as close to 60 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week. This is going to be a poor week as we are supposed to be getting rain all week. I dont have an umbrella, so must rely on Leslie sansone for that I guess. I can easily walk 3 miles and be happy but then I feel later I need to do it again. Hope to see some of you around. I aint talked to anyone here yet.

Replies

• paulaspatch
    paulaspatch Posts: 17
    Options
    wow that is very impressive indeed!

I find myself up 27 lbs in the last year...back problems, job loss, etc. and I did what I always seem to do when problems come my way...EAT.

I do have success to rely on too.

I find the lack of friendship close to home a hardship. I moved to the boise area six years ago but all of my friends were from work and we all commuted.

has anyone found a good solution for this?

btw 56, 27# to lose and NEED TO EXERCISE...been really difficult to get myself in gear!

paula
  • htecm
    htecm Posts: 41
    Options
    My doc told me just 45 min a day. You can dance, walk in place, march or workout to a dvd. After just 45 min you see its not the whole day and you begine to not fight it. After about 2 or 3 weeks, it becomes partially a habit. You start thinking about moving more. I use Leslie Sansone DVD's to get me started. If you can keep up on her fast miles, you can then move it outside and go much slower, and it is pretty cool. But you just have to tell yourself, no lunch til its done. 20 minutes one way and then come back. Its pretty simple. I go alone, but school will be out here this week so I will be taking my step son. Maybe you can borrow a dog, or take yours for a walk and start with that. It will be good for both of you. I promise if your strict on the food going in, you will lose 5 lbs a month. Whic is a bog deal. Over time, its a lot but short term, it seems as nothing. Ask your doctor about the cinnamon/honey thing. It sure got me swimming into the diet pool. I am going more then I wish (for my walks) but It's like I can't sit still. I am finding energy sometimes, I dont know I have. I am here if you want to be friends we can share ideas and thoughts and maybe motivation skills.
  • Leena1225
    Leena1225 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi all. I've called myself fat and sassy for years now but I like Feisty Fifty a lot better. I'm 51 and have been watching my blood pressure go up over the last year. It's borderline now and I want to change that before I have to go on meds. I enjoy walking I just haven't been doing a lot of that. Menopause has sapped all my energy and I'm really struggling with it all. I look forward to reading everyone's input and chatting with you all.
  • JanetteBradleyMahnken
    JanetteBradleyMahnken Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the site, new to counting calories too. Menopause seems to have thrown a monkey wrench into my whole body. I turned 53 in April, and over the last several years the weight has been bouncing around but mostly going up. I am also dealing with gallbladder and gallstone issues off and on the last year, and no health insurance too. I am also asthmatic. My doctor thinks I can get it all under control with diet change and exercise, and so far it is working, except for when ever I back slid before. So Mother's Day weekend, 5-12-2013, I decided I had to get serious about this, and I joined this site and also "SparkPeople" and started counting calories for the first time. What an eye opener! I decided that I was going to keep using both sites as they both have something different to offer. But got to tell you that this sites food counter and exercise counter seems to "Rock" more to me than the other site. It seems more and more I am going in here first to log stuff in and then trying to copy the info into the other site, because it seems to be lacking so much info in those areas. I needed to lose about 140 Lbs, and I have already lost 5 Lbs right at the start of joining these two sites, so I am on my way, but I still have a long way to go. But I am not going to beat myself up about it or worry too much about when I get there. I am just going to try my best to make better choices, and try to get at least 10 mins of exercise in every day, but would love to get 30 mins to an hr or so every day. But I know there will be days when I just don't want to move too much, like when we get into the hot Santa Anna days, or the rainy days. And there will be days that the family has other plans that will through a monkey wrench into my schedule too! But I think that if I at least try to do 10-30 mins in front of a fan on the really hot days of walking in place, or sit ups, or push ups, or something like that, and do similar on rainy days, and just do more the day after the family days, then I will be okay. Same with eating out, if I do it in moderation, or just cut back and exercise more the next day, I think it is going to be okay. I also have a 6 year old dog that I like to take on walks around my neighborhood for at least 30 mins to an hour a lot, and on days when I know it's going to be really hot, I just try to get out really earlier before it gets too bad. She doesn't like to go out when it's wet out side even to go to the bathroom, so on those days I don't try to take her, I just find something to do inside. House work and gardening are great too. I live in Escondido, Ca right now, but I grew up in San Diego, CA and I have spent all my life some where in Southern Ca, except for about 2 years in Va around 1988-1990. This is my second group that I joined in this site, the first group I joined was one for California Members. I any one wants to add me as a friend, please send me a friend invite, the more the merrier I think!
  • Glendapt
    Glendapt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I turned 50 in January and have been on this site for about 6 mths but really just observed without participating. I'm now committed to participating fully as I have 20 kg (45lb) to lose. I celebrated my one year anniversary of being a non-smoker in April, I had smoked for 30 years. Last year I was put on blood pressure medication which was a shock, I'd considered myself relatively healthy until then. Menopause is kicking my butt at the moment I think but I'm aware of that so take measures to make it tolerable (bring on the end!!). Down here in NZ we are heading in to winter so I've just bought a Callanetics book and dvd, I used to do this a couple of decades ago (decades?? Did I really say that?) and since then I have not found anything as effective at toning and shaping my body. lt's been great to stumble across the feisty fifty forum so I hope we can all encourage each other and celebrate our successes while building up our less successful times.
  • debirosemac
    Options
    Hullo from Jacksonville Florida. I hate to say this but so far I believe I am the most senior member. This just makes my day! dieting sux...can i have an amen?
  • htecm
    Options
    Amen
  • htecm
    Options
    Congrats on stopping smoking! I quit 4 yrs ago. Man is it nice to be done! I'd NEVER go back to that habit! I commend you for it :D
  • JanetteBradleyMahnken
    Options
    Yes, congratulations on stopping smoking! That is a really big deal, I know from loved one's experience that it can be really hard to do.
  • JanetteBradleyMahnken
    Options
    I have never heard about Callanetics, I had to "google" it, it sounds very interesting, I might just have to check that out too.
  • Glendapt
    Glendapt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there all you wonderful 50+ folk, I hope you're all having a great week and finding joy in your days. :bigsmile: