Hormone changes and weight gain

Options
Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
In his groundbreaking book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause, Dr. John Lee, MD., a pioneer in the field of bio-identical hormone replacement, coined the term "estrogen dominance."

According to Dr. Lee, estrogen dominance occurs in perimenopause when estrogen is unopposed by dropping and/or fluctuating progesterone levels. Furthermore, according to Dr. Lee, estrogen dominance is the culprit for many of the nasty symptoms women complain about during perimenopause, weight gain and belly fat included.

Estrogen Dominance Turns Your Body into a "Fat Magnet"

In his book, From Belly Fat to Belly Flat: How Your Hormones are Adding Inches to Your Waistline and Subtracting Years from Your Life, Dr. C.W. Randolph, MD, makes an excellent case for estrogen dominance, fluctuating hormones, and weight gain.

According to Dr. Randolph, too much estrogen circulating in the body produces body fat. In turn, fat tissue produces and stores more estrogen, in addition to containing an enzyme which converts adrenal steroids to even more estrogen.

When there is too much estrogen present, your body's ability to adequately metabolize fat is compromised, which means more estrogen is produced, which means, you've got it - more fat. This cycle then continues to repeat itself over and over again, literally turning your body into a self-perpetuating fat magnet.

What to Do?

Given the fat-producing-estrogen-producing cycle that occurs when hormones are imbalanced, fighting perimenopause weight gain and belly fat may sound like a losing proposition, but, it really isn't. In fact, both Doctors Lee and Randolph believe that a simple understanding of the role of foods and exercise in balancing your hormones is one the easiest and first things that women should do.

Unfortunately, Western culture is a fast-food, processed food, get-it-done-quick society. We are so busy burning the candle at both ends that we've lost the connection between wholesome food, good sleep, exercise, drinking enough water, and how we feel.

Compound this with the fact that we are inundated with health and wellness knowledge and most of us have simply become desensitized to the fact that simple changes can have a huge impact on our health. Yet, the truth is, food, exercise and sleep are three of the most powerful things a woman can do to help balance her hormones and get weight gain under control.

Finally, also according to Doctors Lee and Randolph, introducing a bio-identical progesterone will help offset estrogen dominance as well. While no one will promise that you will get your twenty-year old body back, if you are willing to implement serious changes in your diet, incorporating more exercise into your daily routine, and getting enough sleep, you will stand a fighting chance in winning the middle-age battle of the bulge.

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What is a bio-identical progesterone?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    What is a bio-identical progesterone?

Progesterone that is identical in molecular structure to the progesterone women make in their bodies.
    It is not made in nature but synthesized from plant chemical extracted from yams and soy.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/What-are-bioidentical-hormones.htm
  • Ladylouwolf
    Ladylouwolf Posts: 39
    Options
    Trying Wild Yam Gel. Many of my friends said it works great for them, hope so! :-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Trying Wild Yam Gel. Many of my friends said it works great for them, hope so! :-)
    Try finding something labeled progesterone cream. I am now using a compounded one (from the pharmacy) but was previously using one from Emerita.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Pro-Gest-Natural-Progesterone-Paraben-Free/dp/B000IMQE5U
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    **Frantically jots notes...."wild yam gel"....."progesterone cream"....."bio-identical progesterone".....**

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I am sick to death of the weight gain & growing belly!! I watch what I eat, exercise and get plenty of sleep yet still it just keeps piling on. SO frustrating.

Thank you for the suggestions and I WILL be checking out these items!
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. Since I found it I've been reading reviews on Amazon for Emerita. I might give it a try!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm glad ladies are finding this helpful.
    I get frustrated on the forums when a 20-something meathead tells you to just eat at a deficit and lift heavy.
    A lot of people really don't understand the realities of being a peri/menopausal woman.
    Be gone belly fat!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm glad ladies are finding this helpful.
    I get frustrated on the forums when a 20-something meathead tells you to just eat at a deficit and lift heavy.
    A lot of people really don't understand the realities of being a peri/menopausal woman.
    Be gone belly fat!
    You're right. One of my first posts on this group was about the "it's just math" crowd and their insistence that if I just followed MFP i'd be dropping pounds like crazy.
    Meanwhile, 1.5 years later, I've gained 2LBS. lol.
  • daybreak0723
    daybreak0723 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

YES! THIS ^
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

YES! THIS ^

It's apples and oranges
    But they won't listen...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    KANGOOJUMPS: Your profile pic is fun!
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for having this group!!! Looking forward to learning more!
  • Ladylouwolf
    Ladylouwolf Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes!!! Thank you for this group! I am not allowed to take any hormones, Doctor's orders but he said the Wild Jam is okay. Will keep you posted. Felt so much nicer lately , lol
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    BUMP, I need to write this down when I get home. I am sooooo frustrated. All I can find is "eat less, exercise more"! If I follow that mantra, it means surviving on broth only, and pitching a tent in the middle of the gym!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    BUMP, I need to write this down when I get home. I am sooooo frustrated. All I can find is "eat less, exercise more"! If I follow that mantra, it means surviving on broth only, and pitching a tent in the middle of the gym!

Right? :grumble: :laugh:
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! My husband knows how frustrated I am so he very lovingly tries to help by making suggestions. "Honey, I talked to my Aunt & she's selling this weight loss product & all you do is drink this stuff for breakfast & lunch & take these pills & so all you eat is once a day; dinner. She says it really works." Uhm, yeah I guess so b/c she's basically NOT EATING! :noway:
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Where can we get this?
  • issypops
    issypops Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been using natural progesterone cream on and off for about a year (after I read Dr Lees book) and before that natural progesterone prescribed by the doctor, I use serenity from wellsprings (it's imported from the USA), I was hoping for a miracle after reading some of the endorsements (lots of people reported that their headaches had disappeared), I thought it would make a radical difference because all the symptoms and issues reported in the book seemed to be describing me. The effects do seem to be cumulative over a few months. The benefits I have seen have been radically reduced bleeding I went from a very heavy period lasting 10 days to very light irregular spotting, my night sweats disappeared and anxiety were much reduced.
    I hadn't noticed any difference with my weight when using it
    I stopped taking it a few months back and some but not all the symptoms returned so I reordered a new supply and started again a couple of weeks ago

Each jar costs about £12 but it last about 3 months
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've taken a bioidentical progesterone for a little over a year now due to estrogen dominance. It's made a huge difference in how I feel physically & emotionally. I can definitely tell when it's about time to start poppin' it as about day 12ish the estrogen symptoms start creeping in!