What keeps you going in the very beginning?

Options
atuchon
atuchon Posts: 234 Member
I made it 4 1/2 days going paleo then gave in yesterday and had both dairy and bread. What keeps you going in the beginning before you get used to it? How long does it take you to stay on track? I already noticed immediately how instantly bloated I was when I ate those foods, it was terrible! Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first week and starting on my second. The first two days were the hardest. I believe you need to understand that you have the control over what you intake. I use a coconut milk smoothie for something milk like and for a sweet. If I really need a starch (or think I do) I will fix a little sweet potato.
  • atuchon
    Options
    I just finished my first week and starting on my second. The first two days were the hardest. I believe you need to understand that you have the control over what you intake. I use a coconut milk smoothie for something milk like and for a sweet. If I really need a starch (or think I do) I will fix a little sweet potato.

Thank you so much for the advice! I just picked up sweet potatoes at the store so I think that will help me a lot :) i just need to improve my will power! Nothing is worth eating how I feel when I eat good :)
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit too! It will help with the cravings a little. Also tons of fat also helps me. Bacon or eggs helped me a lot in the beginning.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Bacon-photo-1024x764.jpg
  • atuchon
    Options
    Thank you all very much!!

I'll add some more fruit. and change things up a bit.
    Trust me, I was definitely eating bacon! ;)
  • atuchon
    Options
    Do you guys eat quite a bit of vegetables? I'm not a 'huge' vegetable fan and I know that's a big part. If I don't eat a tone of them will I still be ok?
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Fruit has a lot more carbs than vegetables, so it would be harder to get all of the nutrients you need without eating vegetables. Try a new one ever week and see what you think. I am hoping to get some Yuca this weekend to try for a baked fry.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Bacon-photo-1024x764.jpg

Haha love this. Agree
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    you really should try to eat veggies at every meal =) I know....tough but do-able! Add spinach or kale to your smoothies or scrambled eggs (pre cook the kale before you add eggs). I have even started cooking extra salmon and asparagus to add to am omelette in the am. I think the craving for bread comes from withdrawl of carbs. If you calculate honestly how you were eating before with pasta rice potatoes it is easily upwards of 300+ per day (at least mine was) Battle the carb flu with sweet potatoe or yams. Easy to pop one in the microwave...filling comforting and nutritious. For me part of the battle was not caving into the 'addiction' I had to bread-y stuff. Now most of it tastes like the smell of cheap cat food.=P
    For me it was pure WILL and determination to keep going....that was 1 1/2 years and 30 lbs ago! hang in there!!
  • rusty1257
    rusty1257 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me, it was committing to 30 days. Sure I thought about bending the "rules" or "just a bit of this", but then I thought that 30 days is not so long. I figured that I could reassess after 30 days.
  • dannyXoxo
    dannyXoxo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It happens you just gotta keep reminding yourself of the reasons why you choose the lifestyle in the first place :) I'm 5 days in and yesterday I was having major cravings!!! So instead of giving in I decided to have dessert but the paleo way :p I ended up eatting a few chopped up bananas and almond butter...yum :D when you do get cravings just try and substitute with a paleo dessert and as for the dairy... Don't beat yourself up too much. Once in awhile its okay just don't make it a habit
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The lock screen on my phone is a picture of the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor with the slogan "Keep Calm and Semper Fi" on it. So I do that. I stop freaking out over the giant piece of Oreo pie on the counter and stay faithful.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I already noticed immediately how instantly bloated I was when I ate those foods, it was terrible!

This is what keeps me away from the grains. After a while, it's just not worth feeling like crap!! I'll still indulge in ice cream occasionally, but after giving up the grains, then seeing what happens when I do - not worth it to me anymore.
    For me part of the battle was not caving into the 'addiction' I had to bread-y stuff. Now most of it tastes like the smell of cheap cat food.=P

LOL. Yeah, bread doesn't do much for me, anymore. Really, last night I was craving something to put butter on - not necessarily the bread! I had a coconut muffin (recipe from www.wellnessmama.com).
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish up my second week back into paleo/primal, and I've been adding coconut oil to everythingggggg. I cook my fried eggs in the morning in coconut oil and then add more to the fried eggs before eating. Some people say they can just swallow a scoop of coconut oil straight, but I think it tastes and feels like eating grainy crisco. Also, I've heard a tip about dissolving a scoop of cocoa powder in warm water for a chocolate fix that isn't sweetened. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it.

Anyway, lots of fat, BACON, and water water water. Anytime you want bread, just eat some bacon or better yet, a bacon burger (no bun of course). You'll feel like you indulged like crazy but it turns out it's working with your body! :) Love that!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm about to finish up my second week back into paleo/primal, and I've been adding coconut oil to everythingggggg. I cook my fried eggs in the morning in coconut oil and then add more to the fried eggs before eating. Some people say they can just swallow a scoop of coconut oil straight, but I think it tastes and feels like eating grainy crisco. Also, I've heard a tip about dissolving a scoop of cocoa powder in warm water for a chocolate fix that isn't sweetened. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it.

Anyway, lots of fat, BACON, and water water water. Anytime you want bread, just eat some bacon or better yet, a bacon burger (no bun of course). You'll feel like you indulged like crazy but it turns out it's working with your body! :) Love that!
    This!Up your fat and you will lose the cravings.I had severe sugar issues and went off and on paleo for almost 1.5 years before it all clicked.As soon as I upped the fat and lowered my carbs,I was past the sugar.Bread never was an issue for me because it made me feel bad anyway.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    +1
    Also, I've heard a tip about dissolving a scoop of cocoa powder in warm water for a chocolate fix that isn't sweetened. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it.
    I actually just read this in The Metabolic Effect book. I still need to try this. I specifically bought some (generic) truvia for this, then never tried it!!
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, I've heard a tip about dissolving a scoop of cocoa powder in warm water for a chocolate fix that isn't sweetened. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on it.
    I actually just read this in The Metabolic Effect book. I still need to try this. I specifically bought some (generic) truvia for this, then never tried it!!

Heard it recently from Dr. Jade Teta during the SexyBack Summit (hosted by Underground Wellness)...so we've got the same source! :)