Help? Have I blown Induction?

Options
Scubanana7
Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
16 days in: NET CARBS were, 20, 24, 11, 30, 17, 20, 16, 19, 28*, 22, 51*, 23, 21, 21, 13

okay, had a couple bad days (family stress) and had vodka, lost willpower and ate almonds or peanuts.

Have I complete screwed up? I also had Quest bars and Atkins bars on some of my very good days.....I had them in the house and they called my name....and I really NEEDED the fiber.

I have lost 5.5 pounds, but I also exercise 300-600 calories per day. and normally eat around 1300 total calories except the stupid weak days.

So should I basically be starting over with today as Day 4?

and how do I know I am in Ketosis. Do I have to buy the strips?

Replies

• Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I didn't strictly follow induction; I just used it as a guideline, so I may not be of much help. However, I found that I was in ketosis throughout all of induction and even today with my 50-something carb intake. You can buy ketostix if you want, that's what I used to initially determine whether or not I was in ketosis but now I can tell by just looking at my pee (weird, I know)--I'm sure everyone's pee is different, but mine has bubbles when I'm in ketosis. I'm sure everyone will tell you something different, but I think you did great--as long as you can make low carb work for you and you enjoy it while maintaining healthy eating habits, I wouldn't worry too much about off days here and there (especially if you're exercising, too). Also, welcome to Atkins!

ETA: If you've also lost your cravings, then that's a good sign that you're in ketosis, too, I believe.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    How much are Ketosis strips and how do they work and what are they for ?

New to Atkins = Day 5 Induction
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How much are Ketosis strips and how do they work and what are they for ?

New to Atkins = Day 5 Induction

I'm sure most pharmacies carry them, but you have to ask because they're behind the counter. I get mind at Safeway for a little over $7 (they're called Ketostix); there's 50 of them in there! They're for telling you whether or not you're in ketosis, but can be faulty if you're dehydrated as they will still change color then, so just make sure you're always well-hydrated when you use them! You just pee on the stick and wait 15 seconds for it to change color--any color change generally means that you're in ketosis while some say that the darker the color the more you're burning fat, but I don't know if that's true or not. You probably don't need them in induction because it would be impossible for you not to be in ketosis; I'm using them right now though because I'm upping my carbs and I want to see when I stop being in ketosis. Welcome to Atkins! (:
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You can get ketostix at Walmart also, for around $7. But, if the sticks show trace, it does not mean that you're not losing. I use the strips occasionally, but some people stress when using them because they expect to see a darker color, when being somewhere in the middle is just fine.

You have not screwed up induction, just pick up where you left off, but I will say that your loss will definitely be slower with the vodka, and I would nix the peanuts altogether. At this point, why not just eat low carb and not worry about induction if its too restrictive? I don't do induction anymore, although some days are 20-30g carbs.
  • JustMaxine55
    JustMaxine55 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You've received some good advice here! Don't worry about blowing induction, Ketostix, etc. Just count your carbs and the pounds lost! Life is stressful enough as it.