DIABETIC DIAGNOSIS YESTERDAY...i:-/

Options
Hello my name Is Crystal. Just found out yesterdaY that I am diabetic and got put on medication..which i could live with if my husband and I weren't trying to have a baby. Last year I was pregnant and at 22 weeks my daughter Isabelle was still born. Then, I was told I was pre-diabetic and NOW I think me being diabetic had a lot to do with me losing her :'( Her death could have been prevented, but I was unaware I had diabetes. Now I have been diagnosed and I'm heartbroken AND determined to get my blood sugar under control....

Does anyone have anything in particular that may help in my journey. I have been on Herbalife for a few days and I love it, but other suggestions would be awesome ! Thank yOu

Crystal

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi. Sorry to hear about your baby. :(

I was in denial about my diabetes for a year before I got serious. I don't know anything about herbalife. I got my sugar under control by lowering my carb and sugar intake. I don't deprive myself of much... everything in moderation. Test your blood sugar in the morning and 2 hours after meals, so you know how different foods affect your sugar. Keep track of all your carbs and calories and exercise regularly. You can't cure diabetes, but you can control it. Many people have done it.... myself included. You can too.

ETA - I should add that you should plan to see a nutritionist and do as much research on the condition as you can. Check out bloodsugar101.com....lots of great info there. :)
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter.

I am a mother of two boys, both from diabetic pregnancies. I had my first child, a boy, in 2007. During my pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. He was born very healthy and is still very healthy, though we do have him tested annually for diabetes. After my pregnancy I reverted to non-diabetic, but was again diagnosed with gestational diabetes while pregnant with my second son in 2012. He too was born healthy and we will take him in yearly to be tested for diabetes as well.

May I ask what medication you are taking? During my first pregnancy I was just using insulin to control my blood glucose. In my second pregnancy I was taking both insulin and Metformin and I had far superior glycemic control. Now that I am no longer pregnant but still diabetic following my second pregnancy, I am on insulin and slowly weaning off that to go strictly on Metformin as I slowly work on losing weight.

Does your doctor know that you are using Herbalife? From what I understand of the program, you eat very specific and small meals in addition to the nutritional supplements. You might want to check with your doctor to make sure the Herbalife plan is compatible with your diagnosis and medication.

I agree with the above post, it's important to check your blood glucose regularly and to understand how certain foods affect your blood glucose. Some diabetics are very sensitive to carbohydrates, so are not so sensitive. Personally, I choose to eat moderate to low carb but I actually have a fairly good tolerance to carbohydrate consumption.

I also found it helpful during my initial diagnosis to eat at the same time each and every day and eat the same foods. For many months on end, I had a hard boiled egg and a Greek yogurt, peanut butter, and banana smoothie for breakfast! It just made it a lot easier for me to control my sugars that way, until I got comfortable with branching out a bit.
  • crystalg1226
    Options
    Thank you...

So far I have been put on Metformin 1000mg I have a follow up appointment this friday to run a full lab so depending on those results I'll know more of what my medication will be like.
  • crystalg1226
    Options
    Thank you! that site is AWESOME !
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hello! First of all, welcome to MFP and taking the first step towards a healthier you. Everyone else has give you such valuable information, so there isn't much more I can add.

I am really sorry to hear about your daughter's passing. There are so many reasons why your daughter could have been born a stillborn. However, have faith that a lot of women are able to carry babies to full-term while being a diabetic. A healthcare professional would be the best person to give you the answer.

My story, I was diagnosed 8 years ago. After 6 months of trying Metformin, my doctor put me on insulin. I take Lantus and Novolog (sliding scale based on my BG levels). I spent about 6 years, sort of watching what I ate, but not ever truly making the committment. January 3, 2013 I started taking my health seriously and started watching what I ate. I have dropped nearly 30 lbs and more importantly, my BG levels have gotten so much better. I am very proud of the success I have achieved. Key for me was not only the food intake, but getting in the exercise is what has really helped with my success.

Add me as a friend and I will be supportive. I don't have all the answers, just another T2 looking to get healthier.

Nancy
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal. You're not alone. I found out Friday that I'm T2 and was put on 500mg's of Metformin, 2x per day. I'm recording everything that goes in my face and all my activities here, in hopes I can manage this. Please add me as a friend if you'd like. Warmly, Celeste
  • emboss03
    emboss03 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm soooooo sorry for your loss. I understand what it's like to go through a rough pregancy. My daughter was born at 30 weeks and we spent 75 days in the NICU, where she faught for her life like crazy. Now she's 2 1/2 and doing amazing, but it was one hell of a joyride getting her to this point. I'm grateful that, but I also know how horrific of an outcome it COULD have been. Please know we are all here to support you as much as we possibly can.

Ok, now onto my story.... I was diagnosed with T2 back in Nov 2007. I've struggled on and off for the last 5 1/2 years with this disease and it's finally clicking into place now. I've done TONS of research and found out a TON of interesting tidbits about diabetes.... diet and exercise wise, along with how to help yourself each day.... I can offer you a few bits of advice:

1) MOST IMPORTANT: Don't be afraid to fail!!! We've all done it. I'm guessing everyone of us on this site has failed at least once, more likely several times. It's going to happen... we aren't perfect!! However, know your resources when you do fail. Go to your doctor and get a referal for nutrition classes. Save up money for some personal training at a gym. Go to the American Diabetes Association website and get help there. There are tons of resources out there to help you get through the "rocky roads" (not ice cream lol)....

2) Find a support system.... husband, girlfriend(s), family member, co-worker, etc etc..... (or us!!!!) and ask for help.... call them if you feel like cheating (which will happen).

3) Lastly: Whatever it takes for you to succeed, DO IT!!! I am a huge fan of Jillian Michaels and listen to her Podcasts all the time. One thing I learned (and has helped me finally get a grasp on everything) is that the number one reason people go bankrupt in the United States is because of medical bills!!!!! Can you believe it??? It's from people having heart attacks, diabetes, high cholesterol etc etc. So.... remember that next time you think you can't afford to buy the veggies instead of the Big Mac (not saying you do... just an example). It might cost you more to go to a gym to exercise and buy the more expensive healthier foods.... but in the long run, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than having diabetes complications. There are resources out there to help pay for some things you might need, so please use them!!!

Ok, that's enough... sorry this is so long!! Add me if you want... Together we can get through this!!!!! :)
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal,

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the loss of your child.

This is a wonderful group of people eager to offer you their support and to share their individual experiences.

Diagnosed an insulin dependent T2 diabetic in 1982, I've found the My Fitness Pal program to be extremely helpful in managing my blood sugars better, enabling me to cut my diabetes medications in half.

Hope your appointment went well for you today, and I wish you the same success and friendships I've enjoyed here since joining this group.

Welcome!
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as diabetic when I was pregnant with my son, who is now 11. If you manage your sugars well, you can successfully carry a child- it makes it difficult at times and I had to be on insulin during both of my pregnancies (I have 7 yr old twins too). We had a lot of difficulties getting pregnant too so I get it. Losing weight does help with the process too. We did IVF. I was monitored by my endocrinologist very closely during my pregnancies because of the complications caused by diabeties. Let me know if you want to chat. Best wishes to you!