recently doubled dose of Metformin

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
So this is something like day 42 since dx and I'm still trying to eat to my meter with varying degrees of success.
I was on Metformin XR 750mg but since I was seeing erratic numbers in the 150's and below, without being able to reliably bring down high numbers with exercise, my Endo said I could double up and take one1500mg dose per day.

I have an appt to see him in 2 wks so I'm hoping to have better numbers or at least some insight on how to decrease the numbers effectively.

So far, according to my meter, I can only safely handle < 10 grams of carb per meal and so I figure half for snacks. With the doubled does of Met, I'm seeing the same number most of the day. So my standard deviation is decreasing, that's something :huh: but I'm wondering what patterns others are seeing on a similar dose.

When my Bg's are under 120mg/dl most of the day, I can count on weight loss.

I'd like to hear how others got on early in their learning to manage stage, I'm approaching my limits and my frustration is starting to get the best of me :ohwell:

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You appear to be doing quite well. Eating to one's meter is the absolute best way to gain control! Metformin (either regular or XR) does take a while to build up and you were on a low initial dose. Since it's only been 11/2 months, I think you'll see additional progress if you just continue on the path you're on.

My experience so far ...
    I was diagnosed in Jan,2012 with an A1c of 7.3 and immediately started taking 1000 mg Metformin, eating to my meter and lightly exercising. My carb count was pretty similar to yours.

By August of 2012, my A1c was down to 5.6, but my fasting numbers were still above 100 (generally 100-114, but higher if I attempted more carbs) I asked to increase my Metformin dosage to 1500 mg per day, continued eating to my meter and increased the intensity and duration of my exercise sessions. My fasting blood glucose, except for an occasional blip, began to consistently run below 100. Was it the Met? Was it the exercise? Was it carb control? I'm pretty sure it was a combination of all 3 and my next A1c in February, 2013 was 5.2

My latest A1c on May 15 was also 5.2 and my endocrinologist recommended trying things without the Met. So far, except for those pesky occasional blips (which if I'm honest, appear after days when I haven't been real vigilant with the carb control), my FBG remains below 100. I'm waiting for the 2 month/no meds mark to make any final determination as it does take a while for Met to clear the system.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin since the beginning (started at 500mg, 2x a day)....but I was also taking Amaryl.....that seemed to get my BS under control well, but it did take a couple months ( the meds take weeks to really take effect, IIRC). But the further I went into my weight loss program., the Amaryl actually brought my BS down TOO low...I was having hypoglycemic episodes where my readings plummeted to around 40, I got the shakes and felt nauseous. That's when my Dr. took me off it and had me just take the Met but increased it to 1000mg, 2x a day. Now my readings are good and no more episodes.

Hang in there! It looks like you are improving. And you will improve even more as time goes on. :)
  • tracygolden
    tracygolden Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I feel ur frustration. Sometimes I do like I am suppose to and Im still high and at other times, I can handle things. Its all confusing but I am learning too. I don't think our bodies are the exact same every day. Stress and heat seem to wear on my numbers too. Best wishes
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'll be the odd ball in this thread - I've been arguing with my numbers without meds (personal preference), but I have found it's not just the number of carbs I eat, but the TYPES of carbs I eat. Perhaps you may want to think about when your numbers have the worst spikes and see if there is a relationship to the types of carbs you've had just prior to the jumps?

Just the odd ball tossing in a few cents.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies and encouragement, I'd be lying if I said all this wasn't starting to get the best of me.
    Yes, quality definitely matters. For instance, crystal light is a big no-no for me.

I can tolerate 1/2 oz of almonds with 8 ghiardelli choc chips, 62% cacao. Other than that, I'm eating meat, salad cheese, eggs, nut butters and the occasional no carb bread. I guess that's part of why I'm feeling frustrated.

Thanks for your input, I saw some downright acceptable numbers today...fbg was 113 and 2 hr post has been less than 120mg/dl so I guess I need to just hang in there.

It's discouraging though when splenda, stevia in the raw and even plain stevia brought my numbers up. Odd since I cqn handle 1/2 serving of 62% cacao. I had to give up my morning cafe. My exercise routine hasn't changed much, lifting at tht gym 3x weekly but I did recently start running/shuffling daily.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Have you tried liquid Splenda or stevia? I have trouble with more than a packet or 2 of regular Splenda because of the dextrose and maltodextrin , but no issues with the liquids.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Mine was doubled a month after I started out. I have seen my #s come down quite a bit though I still spike. It seems like your #s look pretty good! I know it is hard to look at a fbs of over 100 - mine seems to be in the same range as yours as well but I have heard sometimes it does take a little bit before you see results from taking metformin.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Splenda most definitely spikes me, as does Stevia for some odd reason. I bought Stevia liquid after trying Stevia in the raw and no go on either one. Today has been a particularly rough day, for some reason I can't seem to get out of the 147-150 range no matter what I do.

Numbers are unpredictable the last day or so. I came back from the gym last night after lifting and saw a whopping 175mg/dl.

I seem to tolerate less and less carbs. I used to be able to have half a slice of bread & now that's an impossibility. Even Wasa crackers spike me now. I'm trying not to think about it because when I started this whole thing just 5ish short weeks ago, I was able to drop my BG by walking or jogging from high 160's to the lovely 110-115, even saw it in the 80's.

I'm having a pretty crappy week :grumble:
    The only thing that's different is that I've lost a teeny bit of weight.:huh:
    Could that be what's throwing me off? it's only a measly 2 pounds.
  • dstaceyrn
    dstaceyrn Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, thought of this article when I saw your post. The effect of Metformin on health may turn out to be very exciting. http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/oral-medicines/metformin-the-unauthorized-biography/?ref=ls