Stretching before and after running

Options
JenniferEM2012
JenniferEM2012 Posts: 229 Member
I am about to start week 4 today and I was wondering what do you guys do for stretching. I usually do the five minute warm up then pause my app to do some stretching. However my thighs have become really stiff, and my calfs tend to hurt like I have a charlie horse every now and then. I am not sure if this is just because of me working out or not stretching properly. I was hoping that this group can tell me what stretches they do before and after the workout.

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Before running I do some stuff just to get my body warmed up like walking in place with high knees, then moving into a slow jog in place (normal jog, jog with knees going out, jog with knees down and feet flipping back), and finally some jumping jacks and stride jumps. Once I feel warm and my heart rate is up I do active movements like squats with no weight, split lunges and side lunges. Then I do a 10-minute brisk walk prior to beginning my run.

I finish my run with at least a 10-minute brisk cooldown walk. Then I do about 15-20 minutes of stretches, including most of the ones listed at the links below. I do a lot of deep calf stretches because that's where I usually cramp up. I like standing on the edge of a stair or curb and let one heel at a time drop down for 20-30 seconds.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/5-Key-Stretches-for-Runners

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08/25/best-stretches-after-run_n_936337.html#s339273&title=Quadriceps

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do the P90X Kenpo X warm up to stretch for running.

A little side stretch, prayer squat and rock to stretch the achilles, runners pose, crescent pose, and prayer twist

bent over hamstring stretch

then laying on back hamstring stretch, right then left, open it up to start stretching the hips

pigeon pose, quad stretch, frog pose to stretch the hips, cobra pose to stretch the back

finally downward dog to stretch the calves

I do all that before I run and then mix it up depending on how I am feeling afterwards.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching AFTER your runs? When does the cramping occur?

(Also, I loved taking Epsom salt baths after every run when I started. It was my treat. Although I love water and soaking in the tub, I've never really had he time to do it. There are these really great smelling Epsom salts...lavender, eucalyptus, and other scents. I get them at Fred Meyer in the bath soaking section.)
  • JenniferEM2012
    Options
    Yes I do stretch after my runs. My cramping is usually in the evenings when I am relaxing. I eat a lot of potassium, not to much, but I still get the cramps.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm no help, then.

I pretty much do the ones at the last link from timesasterday up above. I do those after my run. I don't do much before I run, except walk for 7-8 minutes.

Are you getting enough magnesium and calcium as well?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    what shoes are you wearing?
  • JenniferEM2012
    Options
    what shoes are you wearing?

I'm wearing some Nike shoes. I got them from a running store about year ago.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was rolling out of bed and hitting the streets to run, but now I am doing 30 day shred beforehand and it has made an incredible difference. I'm warmed up and my running is improved and I have more energy.
    I doing a longer stretch sequence than Jillian does at the end in order to prepare for my run.
    I also stretch a little bit when I get home.
  • JenniferEM2012
    Options
    I was rolling out of bed and hitting the streets to run, but now I am doing 30 day shred beforehand and it has made an incredible difference. I'm warmed up and my running is improved and I have more energy.
    I doing a longer stretch sequence than Jillian does at the end in order to prepare for my run.

I was thinking about doing this but I thought it would hurt me more then do good. So Thank you I will give it a shot.
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I was thinking about doing this but I thought it would hurt me more then do good. So Thank you I will give it a shot.
    Cool, let me know how it goes!
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've found that doing yoga after a run really gives my body a good stretch and time to properly cool down. It really helps reduce the soreness. Plus if you can get your hands on a foam roller, they are great for problematic areas of tightness.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Were you fitted at the store?

I have been having some tightness now that the weather has warmed. I stop and stretch during the runs and have slowed down overall.

I do some warm up exercises before and then stretch before, during and after speed work and also after my long run. I also do a pilates/yoga class on Mondays.
  • amberpic
    amberpic Posts: 20
    Options
    If you got your shoes a year ago, you may need new shoes. Mine tend to wear out after a year from just day-to-day use, not including exercise. I don't know if that would cause your cramping, though. My feet hurt when my shoes start to wear out.
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My sister started running before I did and she always told me that you have to drink extra water when you run or you will get leg cramps. I think it is kind of like when you get a massage and the masseuse tells you to make sure to drink water or your muscles will be sore after the massage.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you got your shoes a year ago, you may need new shoes. Mine tend to wear out after a year from just day-to-day use, not including exercise. I don't know if that would cause your cramping, though. My feet hurt when my shoes start to wear out.

If shoes are too small, sometimes you'll automatically curl your toes a bit to avoid pushing them into the front of your shoe. This can cause problems by itself, and also stability issues as other muscles try to take over the work of your toes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OP: If you got your shoes a year ago, they are done. General rule for shoes is 300-500 miles (depending on if your run trails or pavement, pavement runs out faster than trail) or after 6 months. Believe it or not, the condition of the shoe will begin to degrade even if you don't run a lot, just because that is how shoes are. It is time to get new ones.

As far as the charlie horses (that is what they sound like), you will get them throughout your running. -Most- of the time they are caused by dehydration, lack of potassium or inadequate stretching. I used to get these all the time in boot camp, and they would hit me in the middle of the night. They suck, and they hurt like hell.

Make sure you are hydrating. I noticed that if I am not hydrating properly, I will get them pretty bad. Drink water every day, all day. If you have issues with water (for example taste) use the water flavorings like Mio to make it more satisfying. You should be drinking water all throughout your training, even on rest days.

Some other notes about the cramps though. Keep an eye on your form. If you are over extending your legs, that could be another cause. Make sure you are landing in your toe box area, and under your hips. Circulation is another biggy. Try compression sleeves or massage the calf muscles after you get done.