Welcome! Please introduce yourself!

Options
13»

Replies

• easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Im Jessica. 28 years old from close to New Bern in a little place called Arapahoe. Mom of 2

Ive just put weight on since kids and getting lazy. Bad eating choices and sit at the computer all night. I started this 2 weeks ago and down almost 6lbs so far, 40 to go. I joined a local gym and loving it. Was training with Zombies, Run 5k training app but hurt my knee last week so cant run on it yet without pain. Ive been engaged for a year and half now and wont set a date because how overweight I am and I will not be married like this. Also signed up for a Color Run 5K in October when some friends. I was diagnosd with pseudotumor cerebri and I am hoping getting some of this weight off will help me and I cna stay off the meds since they are so expensive. My fiance is doing this with me which has made it easier, our whole house has went more healthy so no temptations for too much junk around
  • MikeC0679
    MikeC0679 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jessica! Congrats on the loss already! Hopefully that knee won't keep you down for long. :-D
  • BChappell14
    BChappell14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, My name is Brian, and I am in the North East corner from the huge town of Tyner.. LOL, I started my journey in July 2010 when I decided to have Gastric Bypass. I tipped the scales at 543lbs. I have son (May 2010) and a loving wife I fell in love with in 1991 and married in 1996 that I wanted to be here for. I had high blood pressure and asthma and lymphedema in my legs. I made a life style change and started eating better and counting calories and really sticking to it. I had to loose weight to have the surgery and I am proud to say that by surgery day I was down to 460lbs all on my own. I know it wouldn't have lasted before I became tired of the diet and the restrictions I had placed on myself and my cheats became more frequent until it returned to my old habits. After the surgery the weight fell off and I dropped to a low of 318lbs. Winter inactivity and my office job I have slowly put back about 38 lbs, so I know I have reached the point the surgery isn't magical and I will have to work on it a little from my end. I have lost about 5 of those lbs, and will begin working on it harder now that the weather is getting to where I can take my son out and enjoy activities. After the surgery the asthma and the blood pressure issues are gone, still fighting the lymphedema.

I enjoy all kinds of activities. I used to be big in the Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Departments, and since the weight loss I have joined the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and I am undergoing training for Boat Crew. I enjoy Science Fiction to the point of being a nerd. I love all of it, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, etc. I have been known to dress up in costume and help raise monies for charity, and I am working on costumes to do so again. I also enjoy target and sport shooting and will gladly talk "guns" with anyone. I stay away politics, so if you want to debate gun control etc, lets do it off list.

I look forward to getting to know everyone up here. I hope to stay active with the MFP program to help me in tracking my diet and exercise and keeping me motivated to keep the extra pounds off. I have a hard final goal of around 275-250, which with my bone structure my doctor is happy with. My initial soft goal is to hit 299. I know I will never see ONEderland again on the scales, but I am looking forward to living in TWOterville and leaving THREEopolis behind for good.

I hope I have not bored anyone I can get long winded at times... There is alot more I could say, but I won't drag it out here now.. I have to save something for later. ;)

Brian

What is motivating you?
    How far have you come?
    How far are you going?
    Anything else about "Who are you?"!
  • MikeC0679
    Options
    Hey Brian! Way to make that positive change! Welcome to the group! I won't talk politics with you, but I'll talk a bit of SciFi (or SyFy, depending on the day ;-))!
  • saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Sara currently living in Leland (just below Wilmington). I have been married for almost 2 years and have two stepchildren.

I've been on MFP for years but only periodically log in and actually track anything. Of course living on the coast the summer season tends to motivate me to come back :). My husband is trim and can eat whatever he wants without gaining anything. Makes me sick! I tend to eat like he does only to have gained around 25 pounds since our wedding.

I need to lose about 30-40 lbs (actually typing that number is a bit scary!) and think having support would be so helpful.
  • MikeC0679
    Options
    Welcome, Sara! I love your neck of the woods! There's so much to do in Wilmington! I never used this site at all until just before the new year even though my wife had done Weight Watchers and what-not. If possible, maybe make it a habit to use your cell to track your food if you have a smartphone. Without that, there's no way I'd have kept up with this! Think of the number as pieces to the puzzle, though. You don't finish a puzzle by finding one huge piece, you take it step by step. Find the outside edges, oh! There's another piece with a blue spot! and so on and so forth. Baby steps! Welcome to the group! :-D
  • saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I'm Ashley from Goldsboro.... I was on this site for a while and lost 20lbs.... Then I got pregnant and gained it all back... Lol almost the exact amount weight back.... But anywho, I'm looking forward to losing the baby weight and being completely healthy for my son who is now 3 months!!! :)
  • MikeC0679
    Options
    Welcome, Ashley! Now that you know the "lay of the land", you'll be able to knock this one out of the park! Congrats on your bouncing baby boy! :D
  • GetFitWithWhittney
    Options
    Hi, I'm Whittney from Red Springs, NC (Robeson County). I am 23 years old with a 5 year old son. I have a Bachelors Degree in Business Finance (University of North Carolina-Pembroke).

What is motivating you? I am motivated by the fact that I am not happy with my appearance and just how I feel inside when I eat unhealthy foods. Also, my son is motivating me to want to be healthier to increase my chances of living longer to see him grow to be the man he is destined to be. <3

Tbh, I just started on this lifestyle change. Over the past yr I have started and fell off..FINALLY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH THO especially after seeing myself in a bridesmaids dress and being the biggest one.

My current weight is 220lbs and I would like to get to 155 lbs and maintain it!
  • Karynalyse
    Options
    Hi! My name is Karyn, from Wilmington, NC. I am 31 (32 next month) and have decided to finally get healthy after talking about it for the past year.
    My boyfriend and I have joined a gym and I want to try to go at least 4 times a week. I work in an office and sit behind a desk 8.5 hours a day. I have no worked out in about 7-10 years. I am at my highest weight and would like to lose about 35-40 pounds.
    My biggest downfall will be alcohol. I am trying to cut it out completely during the week, but the weekends I am sure most of my calories will come from alcohol (sad, I know.)
    Just joined this site cause my boss told me about it (health nut). I added it late last week but started my real "health kick" this past Monday.
    Looking for any motivation or meal ideas. I prefer pizza and pasta over a salad any day! and absolutely love sweets :) But so far, in 3 days I have done very well.
  • findingbobbie
    findingbobbie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! My name is Bobbie and I just moved to Nashville, NC from Michigan with my boyfriend at the end of January. Other than this crazy weather you all have been having I love it down here so far. Coming from Michigan I thought manners and common courtesy was a thing of the past. I have to admit I love the southern hospitality.

In 2009 I had hit an all time low. I had reached my heaviest of 260+ pounds, I don't know how much I actually weighed at my heaviest because I refused to get on the scale. But after a month of changing my eating habits I had dropped a few pounds because my pants fit again, so I decided to weigh myself then. Over the course of the next 4 years I had lost 121 pounds. I know I probably could have lost the weight faster but I refused to give up the foods that I loved, I just ate smaller portions. I also started walking, I was suffering from severe depression and with every medication they prescribed they had to prescribe another one to balance out the side effects. I was a mental health mess and to be honest on the verge of suicide. I had read an article that said a 30 minute brisk walk daily helped improve the symptoms of clinical depression. I figured it couldn't hurt, I had tried everything else and walking had no side effects. Within a month, I was no longer taking my sleeping pill and within 6 months I was off my medications completely.

Well the last couple of years have thrown me for a loop. I quit running for the most part, I only ran a few miles here and there but nothing really to speak up last year. I only logged 438 miles last year, that is less than half of the miles I logged the previous year. After I had quit making me and exercise a priority I gained 29 pounds back and have had to be put back on a couple of medications. I am so disappointed in myself, I had worked so hard to get to where I was and I just let life beat me down. But I am done!!! I am fighting back!!! This is my life! I am in charge! And I will not let life beat me!!!

I started running again on January 10th, that was the third day that I didn't wake up with a fever. Santa brought me H1N1 for Christmas and I had a fever for 13 consecutive days and a cough that lasted almost a month. I was still able to get a pretty good start and ran 45.09 miles for the month. This month has been pretty awesome too, 31.37 miles so far. I will slowly get back up there. I have also started strength training and swimming. I love living close to a Y.

I really don't have a time goal for my weight loss but I would like to lose the 29 pounds I had gained back. I am more concerned with me feeling better again. I know that this move has added to some of my stress, especially since we are still waiting to get into our house. We have been living in extended stay for three weeks now. But I know it will all work out, I just have to have faith and patience. I really want to get back into running half marathons again, I think that is my favorite distance. Until then I am trying to run a 5K a month.

Now that I have rambled on and bored you all have to death. I look forward to meeting all of you. :smile:
  • authlaut
    authlaut Posts: 5
    Options
    Hello! My name is Anne and I moved to Wilmington, NC almost a year ago with a job transfer. I've been using myfitnesspal for years, but decided I need to start getting involved in the community forums for support! I am getting married May 10th (2 months) and I definitely need to drop some lbs. I've been "on track" for the past week and I've already lost 5lbs, but I need to keep to it 100% if I'm going to see some real results in only 2 months.
  • callunaailish
    Options
    Hello All! My name is Heather and I'm an NC transplant from Minnesota. I was a teacher in Bertie county for three years and now I live in Rocky Mount and work at a non-profit.

When I first moved to Windsor, NC in 2009 I had a little too much soul cooking and a little too little movement in my life and quickly gained 60+ pounds. I will never forget going home for Christmas and having my dad ask me what had I "done" to myself. My highest weight was between 205 and 210. I joined a gym and worked retail for six months while I was between jobs and got down to about 175, but now that I work a desk job again I gained a bunch of weight back.

Right now, I'm restarting my weight loss at around 195. I've been working with a nutrition coach for a little over two weeks and have lost about 5 pounds. My next step is to re-dedicate myself to working out. I have easy access to a gym and a dog who loves long (hour +) walks, so I really don't have any excuse. My goal is to get down to somewhere below 135 - the high end of healthy for my height.

I know from past experience that I am more successful myself when I'm connected with other people, so feel free to friend me. Hopefully we can be of support to each other! Congratulations on starting your journey and best of luck to you all.