I'm new to group but an avid ETLer for well over a year

Options
susanswan
susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
Hi,
I stumbled upon this group and can't wait to get to know everyone and join in the conversations! I see some ETL friends already here.

My name is Susan, I'm 56, a retired hospital nurse and have been on MFP for over 2 years. It's taken me over 6 years so far to get from 205 to 135. Getting there was the easier part. Maintenance is the more difficult part. I'm currently struggling a bit but working towards getting through this. I am in this for the long haul and for health. Weight loss is great but totally meaningless if you don't have good health.

I have been soaking up all the info I can find. Love the topic, have watched every pro vegan doc I can find to support my goals. Look forward to meeting you all!

Replies

• dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan It's me!!! I've got the book and saw the movie and have the Engine 2 cookbook as well!!! Looking forward to this group!!! We need to get a few more involved.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What's an ETLer?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    What's an ETLer?
    I am following the Eat To Live plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. www.drfuhrman.com Very plant strong focusing on Greens, beans, berries, nuts and seeds, Mushrooms, and Onions. Calling it a Nutritarian lifestyle because these are the most nutritious food groups out there on a phytonutrient level. I am working towards vegan as I go. Doing well, but DH has animal product influences in his cooking although he is eating much, much less due to my food choices and he's feeling better, too!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    His website does not have a lot of specifice about the diet...I'm guessing because he wants you to buy the book! It sounds interesting, and if it's plant focused I don't see how it can be bad for you...some of my favorite recipes come from an old diet book "eat more to weigh less" also very plant focused and the general concept sounds very similar to what is on this website. Thank you for educating me, I have officially learned something new!!!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The twist is that ETL uses something called an "ANDI" score, which is the nutrient density of food (as opposed to fat content, ala Ornish). The most nutrient dense foods are greens, nonstarchy veggies, low sugar fruits and most beans.

For me, a lot of my relationship with food is negative...what I shouldn't eat, what I can't have, how few calories can I consume.

ETL is more positive.