Post RNY question

Options
LolaBug85
LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
I am now one week post RNY. Everyone warned me that I would become extremely lethargic. I have now hit that wall and omg I feel awful. I barely have the energy to get up and go to the bathroom. It's really hard to motivate myself to get my fluids, but I'm drinking my water and small amounts of protein every day (it's all I can stomach). I have my post op visit today with my surgeon and will hopefully get the ok on adding strained cream soups. How long did this lethargic feeling last? I'm only tolerating walking small amounts around the house right now due to the lack of energy. This is really dragging me down. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I just pushed myself through it. I was tired and dragging, but didn't allow that to be an option for me. I got up and got out for a little walk or did some type of activity. It was easier to make excuses as to why I couldn't/didn't want to do something, but the more I pushed, the easier and stronger I got. I quickly got into the mindset that I could make excuses or I could make it happen...I chose to make it happen and so can you! Best wishes!!!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. The more you move, drink, and get your protein in, the better you will feel. You should improve quite a bit fairly soon, but honestly, you will continue to be more tired than usual for a several weeks. The only thing you shouldn't do for a while is any lifting. Anything else you can, and should at least try.

It will pass. Just follow your doctor's instructions. Very soon you'll feel better, and as the weight comes off, you'll feel better than you have in a very long time.
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts. IT WILL GET BETTER. you have to figure...the body is trying to get rid of a LOT of waste. water and exercise will help flush it. Good luck and keep ona keeping on. (I'm :wink: post op 6 years)
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was lethargic for about the first six months. It was overwhelming for about the first 3 months, then bearable until the 6 month mark. Then I felt pretty good again. I did absolutely no exercise until the 7 month mark and still got to goal, so don't worry. Just rest up and take care of you right now. You had major surgery and it will take time to heal.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am 8 months post op now and from what I remember, the only real exercise I got for the first month was a bit of walking. The first two or three weeks were just some short jaunts through the grocery store. As time went on, the energy increased and so did the amount I could do--probably the weight loss was the main reason for that. I was told to drink Isopure carb free (it looks like Kool Aid and is full of protein) to help get that needed "water" in and help increase the protein. At first even jellos and yogurts weren't easy, but everything got easier rather quickly. I had 5 surgeries prior to my RNY, so I knew what to expect recovery wise and I think this was one of the easiest surgeries that I had. The others have given you great advice. Just take it one day at a time and keep your eye on the goal--remember that getting that water and protein in are most important. Hope everything goes well for you!
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was lethargic for about the first six months. It was overwhelming for about the first 3 months, then bearable until the 6 month mark. Then I felt pretty good again. I did absolutely no exercise until the 7 month mark and still got to goal, so don't worry. Just rest up and take care of you right now. You had major surgery and it will take time to heal.

Same here! I feel much better now ( nearly 10 mos post RNY), but back then?? Same as you. I had several mini-meltdowns in the first theee months. It seemed as though I would never feel better, but week by week things improved. Be patient with yourself. Try to get a little walk in each day, and drink little bits all day. Keep us posted, please!! Hugs your way!
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 months out of surgery and I'm down 130 pounds. In the beginning I made sure that I drank every half hour my liquids, I came home on a clear liquid diet and then after my 2 week appointment with the surgeon he put me on my regular liquids, I used the little medicine cups in the beginning and my husband made sure that I got up and walked every 30 minutes. The more I moved the better I started to feel. After about 4 weeks I was feeling really quite well. Just give it time. Try to drink the protein and liquids and try to move as much as you can comfortably tolerate. I had a major melt down the middle of April, because I was depressed, so many changes going on in my life, but I continued to follow exactly what my surgeon wanted me to do and I continued to lose weight even though I didn't exercise for about 4 months. Now I'm back exercising and enjoying my yard. Everybody heals at a different rate and experiences things in different ways. Keep up the great work and remember this is a life long journey and it takes time to heal and to feel better. One thing I counted on was the support from my support group and the support from My Fitness Pal friends, it really helped me through the rough times and was great to express the wonderful times to those who understand where we are coming from. Keep up the great work and don't lose faith.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    t WILL be over before you know it the more protein you can get in the better and after 3/5 odd months you will have forgotten all about it!! just sit back and enjoy the ride of your life x :bigsmile:
  • Symphony2010
    Symphony2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I'm into my 3rd month and I still have absolutely no energy. I also don't excerisize right now and will wait till I've lost more weight.
  • cakelady69
    cakelady69 Posts: 228
    Options
    I agree completely. The more you move, drink, and get your protein in, the better you will feel. You should improve quite a bit fairly soon, but honestly, you will continue to be more tired than usual for a several weeks. The only thing you shouldn't do for a while is any lifting. Anything else you can, and should at least try.

It will pass. Just follow your doctor's instructions. Very soon you'll feel better, and as the weight comes off, you'll feel better than you have in a very long time.

I agree. I will say now that I'm 3 months out, I feel amazing. My energy is great. But I'm very careful to get my min. amounts of water and protein. I strive to be above them everyday. If I'm low on either of them I feel it. I also stay very active and that helps me. Exercising is so much fun once you loss some weight and you find what makes you happy.