Should I bother buying an Olympic bar...

Options
mdcoug
mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
Should I bother buying an Olympic bar if I don't plan to buy a squat rack?

I'm currently doing the program from home and am wrapping up stage 1. I'm starting to look ahead to the next stage. I'm thinking of buying an Olympic bar, but don't really have the room for a squat rack. Should I just continue altering the moves to use dumbbells or would I benefit from having an Olympic bar, even if I don't have a squat rack? I just wonder how realistic it would be for me to get into the right position if I'm lifting it up from the floor.

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    bump (I plan to start and was also wondering)
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I bought a barbell at Big 5 Sproting Goods, it's not Olympic but it works for me, working out at home without a squat rack also. I don't think you'll get as much out of the program without some kind of barbell.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on the amount of weight you use as you increase using heavier dumbbells.
    Difficult to do deadlifts correctly with dumbbells, too.

edit to say: you can get the individual squat rack stands (need 2 of course), easier to store, and a 5 ft bar instead of 7ft.
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can get a beefy bar? its slightly shorter (80" instead of 7ft) and you can use your already existing 1" standard plates no need for a 2" oly set.
    just make sure you dont choose a spinlock one, it makes plate changing such a hussle!
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the same doubt. I started Stage1 yesterday from another routine - for now I am squatting with two 8 pound dumbells but I hope to go up in weight before the end of Stage1.

I have access to a building gym that has dumbells, Lat/seated rows and some heavy weighted balls (going up to 20 pounds per ball). If I buy a bar/weights, how far could I go with it without needing a rack or having to join a more fancy gym?

Those of you who do this at home, any advice would be much appreciated.
  • RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I bought a small bar and dumbbell set at Walmart. It's very convenient to be able to use the plates between the 2. I've slowly been adding more plates as I've needed to increase weight. I've only spent about $100 for everything.

I don't have a squat rack and have reached a point where I can no longer easily get into squat position with the amount of weight I want to squat (~80lbs). For my last workout, I did a goblet squat instead of using the bar. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a weight bench and squat rack on Craigslist or at a garage sale. I don't need anything fancy. :)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    You can use it for so much besides back squats. This might also help you to work on your clean and press so you can do back squats.
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought a 300 lbs set with olympic barbell from ****'s. It was $224 including tax...best purchase ever. The barbell is a full 45 lbs and is great to work with. I don't think I would be getting as much out of this program as I could if I was just using dumbbells.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I bought a small bar and dumbbell set at Walmart. It's very convenient to be able to use the plates between the 2. I've slowly been adding more plates as I've needed to increase weight. I've only spent about $100 for everything.

I don't have a squat rack and have reached a point where I can no longer easily get into squat position with the amount of weight I want to squat (~80lbs). For my last workout, I did a goblet squat instead of using the bar. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a weight bench and squat rack on Craigslist or at a garage sale. I don't need anything fancy. :)

I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've been referred to goblet squats and also zercher squats. Tried the goblets yesterday and will try the zercher on my next A day as my dumbells in my gym weren't heavy enough and it doesn't have a squat rack.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i bought the standard barbell and dumbbell set at sports challet I dont have a squat rack either I am at the end of stage 1 just finished yesterday and I feel that had I had a squat rack I could have increase my weight I was only able to make it to 60lbs
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I live in a smallish apartment and i can tuck away the bars and the plates if I buy them, but no place to keep a squat rack. And without that, clearly there is a limit to using bars at home. I had this brief fantasy of putting dumbells in a backpack for squats but I fear they won't be stable and I'll hurt my back. I guess i should just find a gym where I can use the bars