Kind of pole/size of pole

Options
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed... I looked through the discussion boards and couldn't find it if it has. For those of you who have a pole at home (or id even like to know about what your favorites are at studios) - what kind did you buy? I'm looking at xpoles but can't decide on a diameter or finish. My gym has 50mm brass.. but I'm actually leaning towards a 45mm at home.. and wondering if I need to go with brass or could get one of the slightly cheaper finishes. I want the pole to be sticky because I sometimes have trouble with hands slipping but at the same time I usually overgrip with my legs and sort of get stuck.. so Im not sure which way to go.. any advice would be great! THANKS! :-)

Replies

• polelibrarian
    Options
    ok- I'm apparently blind... I just found two posts about this exact topic... if anyone else has any input I'd still love to hear it though :-)
  • IronKitty
    IronKitty Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you are used to brass and slip on it, then I would definitely stick with brass because chrome will seem incredibly slippery. I am used to chrome at my studio, but of course they have some wear from tons of people using them so when I got my brand new xpole in chrome it seemed crazy slippery, but I have figured out how to work with it over time. I only been on brass pole 3-4 times and for me brass felt crazy sticky, great for learning new moves but tricky for spins, so they all have positives and negatives.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    by the fabulous leen isable at pole dancing adventures

25-062112-web.jpg

they all have + and -
    bras is stickier unless you are a sweaty person in which case watch out
    chrome is sticky once it has been warmed up so at home it can be a bit of a pain
    38/40 feel tiny but are great for hand grips - 50's really hard to hang on to till you 'get the hang' of it so to say
    45 is a nice compromise for me so i have one at home
    but
    at the studio i make a personal point to try and do moves on all different poles and not have a favourite!
  • polelibrarian
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your advice... Im pretty sure Im going to go with the 45mm brass xpole. I'll let you all know how I like it when I do :-)
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    50 has been the standard pole size for years until recently where 45's and even 40's are becoming more and more popular. I would still stick with a 50, personally. That's coming from somebody with very small hands, a weak grip and who would constantly complain about how much I hate 50's! But I'm telling you, it is so much harder to learn something on a smaller pole, and then attempt it on a larger pole later. Using a 50 will strengthen your hand grip much more and if you have a 50mm at your studio, I would recommend having a 50 at home as well. I was at pole convention last weekend and it was a great feeling being one of the only people who felt more comfortable on the bigger poles! lol.

As far as finish goes, I find brass poles to be really tricky. My studio has one and I do not stick to it AT ALL!! It's by far the most slippery pole I've EVER used. I hate it so much. You need to really warm it up and not wipe it down as much, since brass is very porous the alcohol/pole cleaner will actually make it more slippery, because you are removing all of the moisture. I find chrome to be a lot easier to work with and it's most comparable to stainless steel, I can't really see/feel that big of a difference between the two.