Self Defence - who does what?

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty good at sassy/semi-crazy black girl bomb. that deters most things.

besides that i've taken general self defense classes on how to handle certain situations and escape. i want to take krav maga because i know me and i know i wouldnt be OK with just escaping if something did happen because i'd want to eff an mf'er up for even trying to jump me :laugh:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I beat hoes down.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I've heard really good things about Krav Maga, and I'm thinking about starting doing that myself.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I wish you could arm yourself, it's terrible that you are faced with a situation where your government is unable to protect you and simultaneously disallows you from protecting yourself. I don't know about UK laws in regards to Mace/Pepper Spray/tasers? Any of those things??

Self defense classes are good to take but don't rely on them. If you do I don't suggest taking one specific style, if anything find a good MMA gym near you and keep practicing regularly. MMA takes the most efficient and effective parts of any type of fighting style and puts it all together without the stupid rivalries and loyalties. Someday you might be proficient enough to react but this is a long term solution and you have an immediate problem.

Since you cannot arm yourself, see if you can't convince a companion to walk you to your car/bus/home. Enlist the help of friends to accompany you wherever this guy might be a danger.

Above all be safe!! I would rather you get busted for having a weapon (don't use a knife, unless you know how to use one they do more harm that good oftentimes) than hearing about you getting hurt :(

Edit: A basic womens self defense class is a good place to start to get good at the basics.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having hassle Kirstin :frown:

Many years ago I was sent on a basic self defence course through work, it took about 3 hrs and was run by ex police. They covered lots of how to avoid becoming a victim stuff too - some was obvious but other sections less so eg how to react if threatened (body language/eye contact) so as to minimise attack from someone who had basically lost control (due to anger/substance misuse/mental illness). Then they went on to show and practice basic self defence for if attacked (eg from behind). I was quite suprised by how easy it was to learn quite effective techniques in such a short space of time. At the time I was in a job that occasionally involved conflict situations in which I was threatened and it really helped increase my confidence in dealing with them.

I hope you find something suitable. Re the unstable person, it sounds like they may fall into the danger to self/others category. Is there anyone you can express concerns to eg their GP? Stay safe xx
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I wish you could arm yourself, it's terrible that you are faced with a situation where your government is unable to protect you and simultaneously disallows you from protecting yourself. I don't know about UK laws in regards to Mace/Pepper Spray/tasers? Any of those things??

Nope - all illegal here. You can't cary anything with intent to do harm/that is intended to be harmful if used, legally. Even colour dye sprays to mark an offender are of dubious legality.
    Self defense classes are good to take but don't rely on them. If you do I don't suggest taking one specific style, if anything find a good MMA gym near you and keep practicing regularly. MMA takes the most efficient and effective parts of any type of fighting style and puts it all together without the stupid rivalries and loyalties. Someday you might be proficient enough to react but this is a long term solution and you have an immediate problem.

That's a good idea - I'll see what I can find. The Krav Maga academies in London all insist you attend an induction session before you can go to a normal class, and the soonest induction is over a month away... I'm going to give aikido a try with my friend, but have rehearsals every Tuesday for the next three weeks. I had a boxing lesson this morning, though - I figure learning how to throw a decent punch is a life skill, and it was the only reasonably-immediate solution I could find!

Edit: A basic womens self defense class is a good place to start to get good at the basics.
    Then they went on to show and practice basic self defence for if attacked (eg from behind). I was quite suprised by how easy it was to learn quite effective techniques in such a short space of time. At the time I was in a job that occasionally involved conflict situations in which I was threatened and it really helped increase my confidence in dealing with them.

I hope you find something suitable. Re the unstable person, it sounds like they may fall into the danger to self/others category. Is there anyone you can express concerns to eg their GP? Stay safe xx

I'm talking to a few of the other girls at my day job to see if anyone would be interested in a session like this - I've found lots of people doing corporate training type things, but no local drop-in, or book-in classes. Unfortunately, there isn't really anyone to talk to, except the police - I've no idea who his GP is, or if he even has one, and the family aren't willing to accept that it's a major problem, let alone do anything about it!