NSV - Turkish Get Up - HUZZAH!!!

Options
Check this video out of me if you have the chance (It is a facebook link) -- doing something I was unable to do less than a year ago because I was so heavy and weak.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201118265496685
It is of me doing a turkish get up at the kettlebell club that I train at.

I got a baseline done on Wednesday too, and I have gained 10lbs of muscle since end of July, early August. Ladies and gents -- forget the scale. Get pinched. I did a 7 point pinch test plus measurements. I went from 125lbs of lean mass when I started Kettlebells and I am now a 135lbs of lean mass. Still going strong too. In fact I am starting a program on Monday using double kettlebell complexes to get more muscle gain.

The scale itself is a very slow progress with me -- and now I know why! It can get so frustrating at times if you don't realize that muscle will throw that number off. It has its place, as in, part of the whole comp process.

I am still obviously "big". I am a size 16 right now. I have a long way to go though my goal keeps changing as my lean mass changes too. I used to want to be 135lbs. But if that is my lean mass NOW, then I can only imagine my goal weight will shift to a higher number as my lean mass goes up.

Replies

• Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, nice form. Turkish get up has to be one of the hardest things to try. I'm working on doing it without the KB. Nice job.
  • jojoboxing
    jojoboxing Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm working on doing it without the KB.

Prison get ups? congrats by the way!!

On my KB circuit Turkish get ups kick my butt and hardest part of the circuit. On my BodyMedia fit monitor it shows the most METS as well.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it? It's a badass exercise for sure.
  • Didaniel
    Didaniel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Great job! Isn't it the best feeling to be able to do something you previously could not do? :)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Thanks for including the info about increasing your lean body mass, too.

It must feel fantastic to see and feel the improvements in strength, fitness, and flexibility!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Congratulations.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I miss TGUs. I started a new program a couple weeks ago and haven't been able to fit them in. I'll have to start making time on an off day, even if it's just to keep my form sharp.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was talking with a guy in my KB class about TGUs. We share the perspective that while they get easier as we practice them, neither one of us is in any hurry to up weight real fast. We both have a healthy amount of caution about the risk of shoulder injury in a weighted overhead compound exercise. TGUs are great, but be careful.
  • Pinkkfrost
    Pinkkfrost Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! This looks awesome. Thanx for posting it!