Hello There!

Options
AquaFitQueen
AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
Hello, noob here :)

I don't even know where to begin, lol. Always been uber fat. Trying to be less fat. Have read, Atkins, SBD, Low Carb Long Term Lifestyle and The Ketogenic Diet. I don't to things by halves, lol, I like to research everything to death :P But here I am, 5th day on "induction" if you want to call it that. No real ill effects as I quit gluten and most sugars back in Oct 2012...so its been alright! Weeing my brains out though haha!

Anyways, thought I would say hellooo. Im a yank in the UK, 35, married, diary closed as people would faint if they saw the amounts of fat and protein I am eating lol...lots of know it alls on MFP! :D Anyways, Im one of those laid back, tell it like it is types, if you can hang then give me shout :)

(also, this is a xpost as Im lazy like that! ha!)

Replies

• LowCarb4Life
    Options
    More power to you! It's a journey for everyone. The one thing I can say is "keep going". There are always bumps and things to be tweaked but you won't really know how it feels until you get a few weeks (3?) into this LCHF way of eating and your body "keto-adapts" which is where the real benefits begin. Even if you have already lowered your carbs and feel that this is a similar way of eating to what you have been used to, I hope you might be pleasantlyl surprised by experiencing the new rush of energy and freedom from cravings that I have experienced when decreasing carbs to a very low count. For me, who has dabbled in low-carb for years, the switch low-carb/highprotein to high-fat/moderate protein has been really life changing. The extra protein I kept adding to stop from being hungry, or experiencing sugar lows, may have contributed to my overall cravings by being burned as sugar, and to my cyclical desire to break out,..which I did all the time. It was crazy replacing this extra protein with fat but it is working! Of course others are different.

I hope that after you give it a try, and get your blood ketones into a higher zone (1.0-2.0) it will become clear to you pretty quickly whether or not this is a good way of eating for you. If you like research, you may enjoy reading "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" which has a bunch of studies cited. Good luck!
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    I really like this WOE. I have no cravings, well...except its that time of month and last night there was a commercial for ice cream lol, but that was advertising at its best, as soon as it was over and I distracted myself I didn't want it :) I have been officially diagnosed with binge eating disorder years ago, been in treatment a few times...but with this lifestyle, I just don't want anything....I eat when Im hungry and thats that. I have my macros set to 5% carbs, protein 20% and fat 75% set at 1800 cals as I dont want to over do the eating as that would be pointless lol.

I do notice more energy already...Im pretty dang disabled but I keep getting urges to run up the stairs...which I can't do, lol, but my physical urges are getting pretty strong, so Im going to start a disabled friendly workout plan :)

Thanks for the welcome!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group.

During the first few days of induction you wont have much lethargy, but as your body starts to run out glucose and switches to ketone sources you'll start to feel it. The Keto flu... It'll last a few days, but then you'll be hit with a sudden burst of energy when you know you've become keto-adapted. Be sure to stick with the induction for 3 weeks if this is your first time doing it.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me, who has dabbled in low-carb for years, the switch low-carb/highprotein to high-fat/moderate protein has been really life changing. The extra protein I kept adding to stop from being hungry, or experiencing sugar lows, may have contributed to my overall cravings by being burned as sugar, and to my cyclical desire to break out,..which I did all the time. It was crazy replacing this extra protein with fat but it is working! Of course others are different.

I'll second these findings. As a low-carber since '98, learning how TOO much protein was affecting my body (causing the same desire to eat things I knew weren't going to work for me) was eye opening. The switch to a low carb, higher fat, more moderate protein way of eating has made all the difference. A very positive difference. :-)
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome :) Ive been doing good with eating more fat than protein, except for today. Im all out of whack today! I think it was the tuna for lunch that pushed me over, still have higher fat grams but its too close for comfort.

How do you guys feel about sweeteners? I know some people are hardcore and won't use them at all, but I find it I am low on fats I can have a pot of sugar free jelly (jello) with loads of cream which helps with fat. I do count 2g carbs for the sweetener in the jello.

Opinions? Not sure I could do this without some sort of sweetener. I prefer splenda over aspartame as it gives me leg cramps and migraines and well, Im not a fan of the stuff lol
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about sweeteners? I know some people are hardcore and won't use them at all, but I find it I am low on fats I can have a pot of sugar free jelly (jello) with loads of cream which helps with fat. I do count 2g carbs for the sweetener in the jello.

Opinions? Not sure I could do this without some sort of sweetener. I prefer splenda over aspartame as it gives me leg cramps and migraines and well, Im not a fan of the stuff lol

I'm of the opinion that low carb sweeteners work better for my body than sugar ever would. Having said that, I'm not one to use a whole bunch of it. I like stevia for my tea and wherever else it doesn't taste phony to me. I'll use sugar free flavored syrups in my coffee or if I'm experimenting with a dessert. I don't use SF processed products on a regular basis, but I'd sure rather whip up a batch of SF jello and heavy cream than down a box of donuts. ;-)

I think we do what we have to do to make this way of eating work. I would also say that for the majority of us who have found ourselves significantly overweight at some point in our lives, the option to use sugar free sweeteners in moderation is what makes low carb eating sustainable. If you're able to make it work without artificial sweeteners, heck, more power to you and congrats! :-) I, for one, could not.
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    I completely agree with tru2one...i've gotta have sweeteners here and there, they are my vice. I have found that some can trigger cravings if I have too much, so you might need to experiment to find out. I have successfully used *small* amounts of Erythritol and Xylitol which are delicious in things like dark choc fat bombs and mascarpone cheesecake balls (or see Dana Carpenders recipies and books). LuoHan (monk fruit/nevella/nectresse) has more possibly absorbable carbs. These all may be healthier than the dreaded sw'nlow, splenda and aspartames out there, but with just a little more volume they set me craving. So I must stay within approx 1/2tsp-per sitting to avoid a craving. The other day I discovered appletini flavored crystal light and gorged on about 20oz of it xtra sweet..I was craving for hours. boo. Also, combining sweeteners usually makes them sweeter than just one so you can find yourself adding a bit of this or that like a chemistry project. :-) The rule of thumb for me is if I become aware of a craving (sometimes hard to tell) , then it was probably too much of some carb in my day, although hormones, sleep, feeding schedules and other factors contribute. I can sometimes have really good days when i'm coasting and things are easy, and then more challenging days when it's like walking a tightrope of getting the right balance (sleep, water, supplements, food, feeding schedule, excercise, planning, etc). But this LCHF is still SOO much less stressful physically for me than any other attempt at dieting because of the loss of cravings that used to rule my day. It's still not effortless but making decisions about food seems a lot better. But I am off topic which was about sweeteners. :-)
  • LowCarb4Life
    Options
    oh, I should mention that dark chocolate can also satisfy a sweet craving. I use really dark..%85 and greater...and although it has real sugar, for me that small amount seems to be ok. The downside is that until you get used to it, it may taste more like 'food' than 'dessert'. The upside being that because of that, there's less chance i'd overeat of it. Melting it and making fat bombs does wonders. Or melt and roll macadamia nuts in it etc. Some great brands if avail near you Taza, Theo, Madacasse, Tcho (%99 and still delish), supermarkets usually carry Lindt, Green n Black and Endangered species which are ok.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    I totally agree lchf is MUCH easier. I have binge eating disorder which is a struggle, so say the least, to keep under wraps if carbs are in the picture. But I have just completed day 7 of 5% cabrs and not one single slip up. I don't think that has EVER happened. And without slip ups, there is no food guilt...which is amazing! :)

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and advice :)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to 3 granulated stevia packets a day. Any other time I use zero calorie liquid sweeteners like Torani.
  • AquaFitQueen
    Options
    Oh how I miss Torani! America has so many awesome things! I have used DaVinci before, but it just isn't the same!!! Might tuck some away in my suitcase next time Im out there :)
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree with those above that too much artificial sweetener can trigger cravings. I have the biggest sweet tooth, ever. I will and have eaten an entire container of ice cream at one sitting. But keto has drastically changed my sweet addiction (and I don't use that word lightly -- they did a study with rats and they became more addicted to sugar than to cocaine; Google it). I wouldn't say it's gone or anything, but it's manageable now. One reason I think I've had good success is limiting my stevia, for the majority of days, to my morning bulletproof coffee.

I add one packet of stevia (I like the vanilla and English toffee flavors) to my bulletproof coffee in the morning -- some days I also add a tablespoon of 100% raw cocoa -- along with the butter and tasteless MCT oil, so I feel like I have dessert for breakfast. I'm not hungry until noon and just generally tend to feel really happy because I had something so decadent for breakfast. I think having my sweets first thing in the morning 1) just starts my day off right and 2) somehow results in my not wanting anything sweet the rest of the day. I don't know if this is psychological or scientific, or both, but it's been effective for me.