Interesting Perspectives I’ve Heard Today

Options
A friend of mine was curious about the Paleo lifestyle and asked that I send them links to a few helpful sites. In a response to a post they made on Facebook regarding B12 intake in relation to acid reflux/heartburn in which they tagged me in, I responded that since being Paleo I had not had any issues (awesome) and provided the links that I had been meaning to send. Boy, did THIS start the nay-saying (I am not one to argue/defend/promote/etc. on FB – I specifically stay away from anything that has an opinion related). While my intention was merely to provide information that had previously been requested, this was obviously not the platform to do so… should have been an email off-line. Anyway, a few points that made me chuckle that I thought I would share:

1.) We don’t cook (I know there is Raw Paleo, but this was a general statement)

&

2.) We only eat meat and high-saturated fat

There were some other minor ones in there, but these two were the ones that made me chuckle the most :-)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I mostly eat meat and natural saturated fat and, surprise, all of my many health problems vanished.

There is something about this lifestyle that gets a lot of people really freaked out. Not sure why. Cuz for the life of me I can't understand why it's so illogical to assert that diet affects health.

So, I'll just be living proof of what I say and just keep on keeping on.

(I share lots of articles on Facebook, but I don't generally provide many direct opinions. Your friend should chime in and tell the other friends to shut up.)
  • nynvilva
    nynvilva Posts: 54
    Options
    Haha, yeah. My main motto is: do what works for you. Everyone I think has their own different spin on Paleo/Primal/Dieting in general, so if it works for you and is maintainable, great! If not, change something up. Regardless, don’t nay-say.

I haven’t met a single person who gets up on a soap box and proclaims that Paleo/Primal is the end-all, be-all lifestyle. Rather when asked about it, then we get up and say how great it has been for us.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    After I went primal, I stopped taking Prilosec (Protonix and Aciphex before that, depending on insurance) that I had taken for 7 years, to treat acid reflux/heartburn (I'd always carry Tums with me prior to that). It sucked for a couple days as my body re-adjusted, but I'm perfectly fine now. It was never the spicy, fatty (well, unless deep fried - obviously bacon and steak are ok ;), caffiene, chocolate, acidic (tomatoes, citrus) etc foods that I was always told to avoid - it was the GRAINS (wheat, specifically).
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Haha, yeah. My main motto is: do what works for you. Everyone I think has their own different spin on Paleo/Primal/Dieting in general, so if it works for you and is maintainable, great! If not, change something up. Regardless, don’t nay-say.

I haven’t met a single person who gets up on a soap box and proclaims that Paleo/Primal is the end-all, be-all lifestyle. Rather when asked about it, then we get up and say how great it has been for us.

Ugh. I have found some Paleo people who are on a soapbox and they irritate me, just like anyone else who proclaims their way of [whatever] is the only right way.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    After I went primal, I stopped taking Prilosec (Protonix and Aciphex before that, depending on insurance) that I had taken for 7 years, to treat acid reflux/heartburn (I'd always carry Tums with me prior to that). It sucked for a couple days as my body re-adjusted, but I'm perfectly fine now. It was never the spicy, fatty (well, unless deep fried - obviously bacon and steak are ok ;), caffiene, chocolate, acidic (tomatoes, citrus) etc foods that I was always told to avoid - it was the GRAINS (wheat, specifically).

I had this, too. Not quite to bad yet to warrant Prilosec, but certainly a Tums addict. Pretty much every night. Within days of going primal, I no longer needed the Tums at all. :)
  • nynvilva
    Options
    Ugh. I have found some Paleo people who are on a soapbox and they irritate me, just like anyone else who proclaims their way of [whatever] is the only right way.

Haven't ran into one yet... but agreed: ugh. I don't like soap boxes in general.
  • nynvilva
    Options

I had this, too. Not quite to bad yet to warrant Prilosec, but certainly a Tums addict. Pretty much every night. Within days of going primal, I no longer needed the Tums at all. :)

Same here! I carried tums and Prilosec on me at ALL times. Now, it's there... just haven't used it in 12 weeks.