trans gender MMA fighters?

Options
tigerblood78
tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ufc-suspends-matt-mitrione-transphobic-comments-regarding-fallon-230051067--mma.html;_ylt=AgwiutDZ4STlRbqUoLC6JTU9Eo14;_ylu=X3oDMTN1NnByc2ozBG1pdANGRUFUVVJFRCBNZWdhdHJvbiBVRkMEcGtnA2JiNmQ5YmU0LTllNmQtMzI1MC04MzNmLTgzOWYxYmIyNDMyMARwb3MDMQRzZWMDbWVnYXRyb24EdmVyA2ExMGRmZDAwLWEwYTYtMTFlMi1iOWY3LTE2NmQzYzA1ZDAwNw--;_ylg=X3oDMTFoMHFpMmxtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAN1ZmMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3............just wondering how everyone feels about this subject. From what I understand, a man has a gender change operation, and now wants to fight women. Actually has fought women, twice, and knocked them both out in the first round. I don't agree with this at all. I personally don't care if a man decides he wants to be a woman. But to me he still has the bone structure and body of a man. He should fight men, not women.

edit.....thats a sucky link....but the "woman"fighter is Fallon Fox....it's easy to find the info

Replies

• synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I heard about this too and I agree with you 100% if performance enhancing drugs are banned shouldn't gender enhancing switches be?
  • CallMePat
    CallMePat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not a real fair fight, however I wouldn't object to a transgender division.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you are the same weight and same lean muscle mass (not that all fights are) then isn't it a fair fight?

Also transgender women have HRT

Remove the male parts
    You both weigh the same
    Both have equal amount of female hormones

Why is it less fair than two women in the same category different heights different lean muscle mass different reach advantage. One has trained longer than the other or fought more.

Also women fight and train with men all the time.

Personally I don't think gender is as big an issue in the fight match up. It needs to be regulated but a transgender woman would not have an unfair advantage.
  • tigerblood78
    Options
    If you are the same weight and same lean muscle mass (not that all fights are) then isn't it a fair fight?

Also transgender women have HRT

Remove the male parts
    You both weigh the same
    Both have equal amount of female hormones

Why is it less fair than two women in the same category different heights different lean muscle mass different reach advantage. One has trained longer than the other or fought more.

Also women fight and train with men all the time.

Personally I don't think gender is as big an issue in the fight match up. It needs to be regulated but a transgender woman would not have an unfair advantage.

You don't take away the bone structure and body of a man. those things alone make it unfair.
  • rstoliker
    rstoliker Posts: 65
    Options
    its a slippery slope...because then you blur all sports then. Personally, I dont really care what a person does in reference to gender changing...however, when it's a single sport vs a coed TEAM sport...you will always have that difference of opinion as to what is fair.
  • tigerblood78
    Options
    I read there's a 50 year old man who had an operation to remove his penis, wants to be a woman, went back to college, and is playing basketball on the girls' team. He's 6'8" 220 lbs. and of course he dominates, because he's a huge man playing against girls! But even that is different than competing in mma against women. When you're talking about a man, or someone who used to be a man, and still has the body of a man, getting into a ring and beating the hell out of women, it's ridiculous to me.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_22132492/transsexual-woman-50-years-old-6-feet-8
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    the doctor removed a penis... he did not reverse the outcome of male puberty on bone/muscle structure and density. not fair. that being said, these opponents are not being tricked.... they know they are fighting a former man. i wouldnt take the fight or encourage my fighters to, but if you are a women looking to get into a fight with a man then i guess the choice is yours.

i dont think the commission should allow it. i garee with others on a separate class, but not spcifically to transgenders. everyone should have the opportunity to fight everyone: men/ weight division, women/weight division, open gender/weight division. or hell, even an open gender/open weight. the decision to compete lies with the fighters.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    the doctor removed a penis... he did not reverse the outcome of male puberty on bone/muscle structure and density. not fair. that being said, these opponents are not being tricked.... they know they are fighting a former man. i wouldnt take the fight or encourage my fighters to, but if you are a women looking to get into a fight with a man then i guess the choice is yours.

i dont think the commission should allow it. i garee with others on a separate class, but not spcifically to transgenders. everyone should have the opportunity to fight everyone: men/ weight division, women/weight division, open gender/weight division. or hell, even an open gender/open weight. the decision to compete lies with the fighters.

Agreed. It's only fun to watch a sport when it's fairly evenly matched and I think it's going to be a good fight/game. I honestly just wouldn't be interested in watching a former man who became a woman fighting against one who was born a woman. I wonder how many people will be interested in watching such a fight once the novelty has worn off? What will it do for the sport?

I have a coworker that I knew for years as a man, and I'm trying to get used to her being a woman now. I liked her then, and I still like her now. But although she has breasts and wears makeup and jewelry...she still looks and sounds like a man. We work in a healthcare setting, and sometimes our patients or family members will look at me quizzically after she has left the room and ask "Was that a man or a woman?" I say "woman" and leave it at that.
    She also is a 4th degree black belt in judo...which she obtained as a man. I would not fight her. :wink:
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    A woman taking Testosterone supplements would be banned, yet this "woman" had natures supplements for the duration of a boy's puberty cycle. "she" should not be allowed in the women's division.
  • 1tiamat
    1tiamat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was on the fence about this issue, but my wife brought up an interesting point.

What if a woman who had always been one, had broader shoulders similar to a man, was tall lets say 6'8'' and professionally lifted weights. Would you say it isn't "fair" that this girl compete against the other women that were shorter and didn't lift?

Also in MMA and other one on one sports it is based on weight class. Yes in some instances you may put a heavyweight vs lightweight, but in general it is based on what one person can do against another who has similar weight and height. If it is mixed gender I don't think it should matter at all.

I understand about bone structure and moving from a more aggressive sport like mens football and moving to womens basketball. It's totally different and that person that changes like that would have a totally different skill-set good or bad.

I'm not 100% a yes or no, but I think in a lot of circumstances it should be allowed.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Cristiane Cyborg Santos is the woman you are describing. And in sanctioned MMA events, they no longer place fighters into disparate weight match-ups. Cris Cyborg, while dominant, is NOT unfairly competetive.

However physically evolved she is compared to her peers, she would still never be able to compete with the male counterparts at that weight. Im not talking about any male at 145-155, I mean her true counterparts in the sport. Jose Aldo or Benson Hendeson would hurt her... badly.

Gabrielle Garcia in BJJ is another example. No woman is even remotely as physicall imposing. But to have her face Roger Gracie or Marcus Buchecha would be brutal.

Sure CERTAIN women could handle CERTAIN men in CERTAIN sports (Billy Jean King vs Bobby Riggs), but at the elite levels of combat competition, that is dangerous. Now, Im certain that women keep taking fights with Fallon Fox to silence critics like myself... but i think that notion is completely backwards. If you re-read my previous posts, the answer to "man vs woman" can be answered by open sex divisions (women allowed to play in the mens divisions), NOT by a man walking through a women-only division.
  • DeathClutch1996
    Options
    No the woman is still a man and even though without a penis still has the bone structure of a man and can take more of a beating and can hit harder than the female opponent would.. It's not fair.