4th of July Weight Loss Challenge Anyone?

Options

Replies

• sbbanded
    sbbanded Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    4/18/13 - 214.2
    4/25/13 - 213.0 -1.2!
    5/2/13 - 212.0 -1.0!
    5/9/13 - 210.0 -2.0!!
    5/24/13 - 209.6 -0.4
    6/6/13 - 208.0 -1.6!

Keep up the great work yall =)
  • russlynne
    russlynne Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Checking in...
    this AM I was STILL 173. Staying within my 1200 calorie daily goal. I admit my exercise is lacking. trying to get in my 64 0z water but I'm not a big water drinker.
    I have been rocking between 172-173 for two weeks noe.
    Ideas???
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Goal: 130 and maintain, 100 or more squats a day, go to the gym to workout for cardio and weight machines 3-4 times a day, Ride bike 30 minutes or more every day once or twice a day.

6/6/13-weight has been up/down a pound or so all week but still stayed under 130 so I am ok with it. I have to admit I have been eating carby foods lately. I have learned to not bring these types of foods into the house....lesson learned. Hit the gym last Thursday night before dog agility training class and went on Monday night also and did a bike ride Tuesday evening after WLS group support meeting. Gonna try to hit the gym tonight between hair cut apt and dog agility training class. I start my swim lessons at the Y on 6/16/13 so I am looking to join a different gym that has a pool. I currently go to Planet Fitness for $10 a month. Checking out the Fit Club this weekend and then the Y and will decide. I will have to pay more though but it is worth it I feel. Weather over last weekend didn't cooperate to ride my bike much. Hoping to get some good rides in this weekend if it doesn't rain and a workout at the gym too.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Checking In

Goal weight: 145
    Current weight: 150.6

Fitness Goal: Complete 5 Big Mile DVD at one time w/o breaks. I wish I could run/jog, but that's not in the cards for me.

Current weight: 148.2

Have made it through 4 miles on DVD, but really stepped up the strength training.
  • pal00ga
    pal00ga Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! I got down to 160.6 this week for a couple days but started my lady days and was at 163 this morning. Ugh! I was thinking I would reach my goal a few weeks early. Maybe not
  • russlynne
    Options
    Since I've started watching my calorie intake at 1200 calories, I've lost 4 pounds the first week then nothing for the past 3 weeks. this weekend I was frustrated and didn't log in anything. and now I'm back to where I started....177.
    Time for an upset. Instead of random calories(all within limits), I am going to try a high protein/low carb approach. I'm shooting for 100g protein and <15 g carbs. we'll see how that goes.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! I got down to 160.6 this week for a couple days but started my lady days and was at 163 this morning. Ugh! I was thinking I would reach my goal a few weeks early. Maybe not

LOL! Hooray for menopause!!
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Checking In

4/29: 167.8
    5/3: 162.8
    5/13: 161.4
    5/26: 160.0
    6/12 154.1*****
    Goal Weight: 155

Fitness goal: Run 3 miles at 10 min/mi (Currently running 2.5 miles at 11 min/mi) / Current Fitness status: Completed 5K on 5/27 Outside running is slower than on the treadmill. Average 4.0 miles @ 11 min/mi. Beginning to think my 10 min/mi was too aggressive.
  • sbbanded
    sbbanded Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    4/18/13 - 214.2
    4/25/13 - 213.0 -1.2!
    5/2/13 - 212.0 -1.0!
    5/9/13 - 210.0 -2.0!!
    5/24/13 - 209.6 -0.4
    6/6/13 - 208.0 -1.6!
    6/13/13 - 208.0 ugh =/
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Checking In

Fitness Goal: Complete 5 Big Mile DVD at one time w/o breaks. I wish I could run/jog, but that's not in the cards for me.

Have made it through 4 miles on DVD, but really stepped up the strength training.

Well, the weight was down to 146.2, but went on a two day beach vacation, didn't stray from my diet much, definitely stayed under the calories, but picked up 3 pounds. Wound up with very, very high blood sugars because I neglected to account for the sun/heat with my insulin and pump (I'm a type I diabetic) and the times I took the pump off to swim. I assume all the added insulin to get those blood sugars down played a role in that gain. So... we are back to 148. 6.

I WILL get these pounds off and reach my goal by July 4th. I'm finding that the cardio doesn't do a lot for the weight loss now, but will continue it for the health benefits. Have really stepped up the strength training and will continue that. Will see how it goes!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Checking In

Well, the weight was down to 146.2, but went on a two day beach vacation, didn't stray from my diet much, definitely stayed under the calories, but picked up 3 pounds. Wound up with very, very high blood sugars because I neglected to account for the sun/heat with my insulin and pump (I'm a type I diabetic) and the times I took the pump off to swim. I assume all the added insulin to get those blood sugars down played a role in that gain. So... we are back to 148. 6.

I WILL get these pounds off and reach my goal by July 4th. I'm finding that the cardio doesn't do a lot for the weight loss now, but will continue it for the health benefits. Have really stepped up the strength training and will continue that. Will see how it goes!

I found the same thing with cardio. The best explanation I got from a couple of experts is that your body adapts to a set cardio regime, and it becomes the new normal. Adding progressive weight training has helped me much more the last couple of months. I really wish I had started it sooner, to help preserve some of the muscle I've lost while dropping so much weight.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Starting Weight:171.2
    Goal Weight: 159

4/18/13: 171.2
    4/25/13: 168.8 - 2.4 lbs.
    5/2/13 : 168.8 - 0
    5/9/13 : 166.4 - 2.4 lbs
    5/16/13: 165 - 1.4 lbs
    5/23/13: 163 - 2 lbs
    5/30/13: 162.3 - .7 lbs
    6/6/13: 163 + .7 lbs :(
    6/13/13: 162.6 - .4 lbs

I've basically been staying pretty close to 163 these past few weeks. grr... I need to step it up!
  • spfldpam
    Options
    Goal: 130 and maintain, 100 or more squats a day, go to the gym to workout for cardio and weight machines 3-4 times a day, Ride bike 30 minutes or more every day once or twice a day.

6/13/13-128 1 year sleeve anniversay WLS was on 6/11! Sorry I am posting this late. I had a huge National Conference event at my job I was in charge of Mon-Wed last week. I survived it and ate as good as I could. We didn't offer lunches so it was a protein bar for me each day for lunch. I have been maintaining under 130 still. Went to the gym only on Fri last week due to work events on Mon-Wed. I started my first swim class yesterday and did ok. Thinking of joining a new gym with pool so I toured it Fri on my day off and got a free one week pass so going there today to do strength training and then hit hte pool area. Didn't get to ride my bike at all this past week! Planning on hitting the gym Mon and Thursday this week and riding bike Tues and Wed. I go for all my one year post op appointments tomorrow afternoon. 1 year labs came back great. All my labs post op have been great. So thankful to have done the WLS sleeve surgery. I have went from a 24W pants to size 4 and 3XL tops to small tops! I still can wrap my head around that I wear a size 4!
  • annwyatt69
    Options
    Checking In

June 17: weight 147.2
    Goal weight for July 4: 145

Going to keep doing what I am doing with cardio and strength training.
  • russlynne
    Options
    WHY am I NOT losing weight????:sad:
  • pal00ga
    Options
    I feel like a few of us have been just bouncing up and down the past few weeks (myself included). I'm going to contribute it to it being that time of the month for me and just my body catching up with everything. I feel like I'm still losing pretty steadily (always more than 5 lbs a month at 13 months out). Of course I suspect since I'm 160 now, my weight loss will drastically slow down, but considering my realistic goal has always been 160, I'm ok. Always just remember how much you have lost thus far. Don't get discouraged!!
    I don't know what surgery you had or how far out you are, but 3 weeks without a loss (particularly after your quick 4 lb loss) isn't bad! Consider that if you lost that over 4 weeks, that would average a lb a week lost!
    Just stay on the program. I saw you were cutting your cars down to below 15g. I don't know how people do that. I agree that you should eat low carb, but I wouldn't be able to do that low. I try to stick to a diet that I know that I can maintain. I know if I went lower carb, I lose more weight faster, but I wouldn't be able to stick to such low carbs, and once I started eating a little again I would gain the weight back even faster.
    Carbs have always been my weak spot. My staple food before surgery was ANY sort of pasta! And baked goods ALL THE TIME. Now I say no to literally ALL pasta. I don't even want to tempt myself into thinking I may want it again. I do eat some breads, but it's always a multigrain, low calorie bread. However most of my carbs come from fruits and vegetables and protein bars.

I know it gets so frustrating not seeing the scale move. I'm a daily weigher, so I definitely understand. Are you taking measurements though or pictures regularly? I find that even when I'm not losing weight, I'm losing inches and it shows in pictures!
  • russlynne
    Options
    You are right, Pal. I should not get discouraged...I had my RNY surgery May of 2006. I started at 245 (my highest weight was 265). My goal weight was 150 but somehow I stood at 135 for almost 2 yeard. I did not like this weight as I felt "frail" and you could see every bone in my ribcage. I felt I looked like an OLD malnourished bloodhound. I was not upset when I gradually came up to 150. The greatest thing was that I did not have to take any nore diabetes meds since the day of my surgery.
    tho since I've crept up to 177 and my HbA1c rose to 5.9, I am concerned about relapsing to the DMII.
    I vowed that I would get back to 150 and I had hoped it would not be so frustrating. I guess I am expecting too much. I SHOULD focus on 1-1.5 pounds a week and only weigh once a week. so much can influence my daily weight.....

thanks for helping me put things in PERSPECTIVE.:wink:
  • spfldpam
    Options

6/20/13- weight is 124.8 had a loss from last week! I am not really trying to loose anymore weight but just maintain at or under 130 at this point. I did go to my first adult swim class on Sunday afternoon and enjoyed it. Last Friday I went to the gym and worked out with strength training and cardio and then went home and pushed mowed my huge yard. Hit the gym Mon and Tues nights of this week, did a little cardio to warm up and then weight machines and free weights for strength training and then did a 45 minute Aqua Zumba class on Monday night. On Tuesday night did a Cardio water in motion class for one hour and that was even more intense than the Aqua Zumba! Need to mow the yard again so I will skip the gym tonight to do the mowing and also have a dog agility training class tonight too. I am thinking of joining a new gym that has more classes and pool with classes. I tried out 2 of the 3 locations, the 3rd location doesn't have a pool so I won't be going there. It does cost more a month $43 vs. $10 a month at Planet Fitness but I think I will join for a year. I have to pay a $49 joining fee and $10 key code fee but get July and August months for free so no monthly fee then. I need to decide by the end of this month since my joining fee is cheaper with my health insurance I have but my employer is switching our insurance as of July 1 and they don't have that perk. Haven't ridden the bike much lately. I need to do that. It has turned hot and very humid here now and it is less fun riding on my lunch hour or during the day due to the humidity.

I had my 1 year post op sleeve WLS program appointments on Tuesday of this week and they surgeon, nut, and psych all said I was doing wonderful. I have lost 91% of my excess body weight since surgery date on 6/11/12 in one year. I have lost 20% of my body fat, it ws 41.7% and is now 21.7% in one year. I was told to eat 1400-1500 cals a day and could drop my protein grams to 70 a day now and to get at least 130 grams of carbs in. I know many programs want you to eat low carb but my program has always said you need 130 grams of carbs a day for healthy brain function. I am also supposed to eat my exercise calories burn back to which I never do. They said I had to do this to stop loosing anymore weight. The nut said most sleeve people only loose 60% at the most of their excess body weight so I did terrific! They were all so proud of me and my sucess. I am thankful for the wonderful WLS program at Memorial Bariatrics. They are top notch and know their stuff. All my 1 year labs came back great too as they all have since sleeve surgery. I will be referred to the Bari Plastics program in the next week or so since I have been at goal for almost 3 months and have been compliant with all their specfications after surgery. I will be self pay for plastics since my old insurance and probably the new insurance won't pay for it (the new health insurance won't even pay for WLS so thank god I had it done when I did and had all the followup appoints in 2012/2013!). It will cost me $100 to talk to the bari plastics and get more information so for me it is worth to see what they can do and what the cost would be and stuff like that.

I am so happy I had sleeve WLS, I can't believe a year has passed since I had the surgery.
  • TheMobileMom
    TheMobileMom Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Checking In

4/29: 167.8
    5/3: 162.8
    5/13: 161.4
    5/26: 160.0
    6/12 154.1*****
    6/23 158.1 :(
    Goal Weight: 155

Fitness goal: Run 3 miles at 10 min/mi (Currently running 2.5 miles at 11 min/mi) / Current Fitness status: Completed 5K race on 6/22 at 10:30 min/mi.
  • pal00ga
    Options
    Ah!! We have less than 2 weeks left guys! Let's make these last 2 weeks really count! I just decided to up my calories to 1100 as I was keeping them around 1000 unless I worked out. I tend to lose a bit more on days that I go over my calorie allowance though, so I think my body is ready to go up.
    I'm going to make sure to make it to the gym 3 days this week and next!! I skipped once the last 2 weeks!!

Starting Weight:171.2
    Goal Weight: 159

4/18/13: 171.2
    4/25/13: 168.8 - 2.4 lbs.
    5/2/13 : 168.8 - 0
    5/9/13 : 166.4 - 2.4 lbs
    5/16/13: 165 - 1.4 lbs
    5/23/13: 163 - 2 lbs
    5/30/13: 162.3 - .7 lbs
    6/6/13: 163 + .7 lbs :(
    6/13/13: 162.6 - .4 lbs
    6/20/13: 161.4 - 1.2lbs

I'm checking in late again (as I usually do on Thursdays), so I'm still going to use last Thursday's weight.