Repost? Why women shouldn't do alot of cardio

Options
JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
http://athlete.io/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

Science Wants You to Stop Running

Trashing steady-state cardio isn’t exactly a novel idea, and the better physique gurus figured at least a portion of this out years ago, when they started applying the no-steady-state-cardio rule to contest preparation. They failed, however, to point out the most detrimental effect of this type of training—one that applies specifically to women:

Studies—both clinical and observational—make a compelling case that too much cardio can impair the production of the thyroid hormone T3, its effectiveness and metabolism[1-11], particularly when accompanied by caloric restriction, an all too common practice. This is why many first or second-time figure and bikini competitors explode in weight when they return to their normal diets, and it’s why the Jessicas of the world can run for hours every week with negative results.

T3 is the body’s preeminent regulator of metabolism, by the way it throttles the efficiency of cells[12-19]. It also acts in various ways to increase heat production[20-21]. As I pointed out in previous articles, this is one reason why using static equations to perform calories-in, calories-out weight loss calculations doesn’t work.

When T3 levels are normal, the body burns enough energy to stay warm, and muscles function at moderate efficiency. When there’s too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism), the body goes into a state where weight gain is almost impossible. Too little T3 (hypothyroidism), and the body accumulates body fat with ease, almost regardless of physical activity level. Women inadvertently put themselves into a hypothyroid condition when they perform so much steady-state cardio.

In the quest to lose body fat, T3 levels can offer both success and miserable failure because of the way it influences other fat-regulating hormones[22-31]. Women additionally get all the other negative effects of this, which I’ll cover below. Don’t be surprised here. This is a simple, sensible adaptation of a body that’s equipped to bear the full brunt of reproduction.

Replies

• america_c
    america_c Posts: 60
    Options
    I liked this article but I wish the author didn't just rant about cardio and gave some alternatives.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I mean, really?
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You say running is bad, but it sounds like you are talking about running on a treadmill (or other flat surface) at a steady pace. A lot of runners don't maintain a steady pace/heart rate as they run outdoors and are going up and down hills, over uneven terrain (grass, dirt, broken pavement, curbs), and they vary their runs with intervals and sprints. I purposefully run in a very hilly area and my heart rate is constantly going up and down and I am engaging different muscles. Also, I love it. It's really fun. Happiness is the number one reason for running anyway :)
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love to run as well, the high I get after a stressful day cannot be compared to anything else I do for relaxation. As the previous poster wrote I too run on trails and my heart rate goes form 85%+ max to 45%-60% of MHR. Even when I run on treadmill I never run at steady state as it gets so mindlessly boring.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    "Why Women Who Are Not Already Endurance Athletes Whose Primary Goal Is To Lower Body Fat For Health Reasons Should Not Run Excessively According To Some Limited Recent Evidence That Will Have To Be Confirmed As Would Any Scientific Finding" isn't quite as catchy.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Not advice. Just posting something up for those that are doing tons of cardio and not happy with their results.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Not advice. Just posting something up for those that are doing tons of cardio and not happy with their results.

Though I love to run...changes only happened when I cut down on 7 days of running to 4 days cardio+3 days of heavy lift. So agree that all the insane amt of cardio was not helping at all. Maybe it was my diet who know......maybe it was serious resistance training.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    "Why Women Who Are Not Already Endurance Athletes Whose Primary Goal Is To Lower Body Fat For Health Reasons Should Not Run Excessively According To Some Limited Recent Evidence That Will Have To Be Confirmed As Would Any Scientific Finding" isn't quite as catchy.

Honestly, I'd prefer a title like that.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Bump to show up in my feed.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't have time to go into why runners stay out of the "black hole" and why we do intervals and why we cross train with weights. Let me just focus in on this sentence: "This is a simple, sensible adaptation of a body that’s equipped to bear the full brunt of reproduction."

If this were true, if it were true that hypothyroidism is an evolutionary artifact, it would be as common as knee injuries and concussions for football players in female runners. It's not.

Contrary to what we were told in the '50s, our uteruses won't get damaged by running fast either.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think the point that gets missed, because of the trendy "lift all the weights" stuff, is that it completely and totally depends on your goals. I may not get it at all, but there are some women who do not want to be strong (seriously, I have had women tell me this) and don't care at all about body fat percentages. They just want to be good runners. And even though I don't understand it, I can respect it. They have different goals than I do, and that's fine.

But there are women (a lot of them) who are running because they think running, in and of itself, burns fat. And the second you try to tell them that they could burn fat a lot more efficiently by eating at a deficit and getting really strong by lifting heavy weights, they get defensive, and they don't want to hear it. I used to be the same way. I had to learn through experience, so I have stopped trying to convince anyone of something they don't want to believe. I have a friend who runs marathons even though she admittedly hates running and says she only does it for exercise. She is nearly 30% body fat and is struggling to lose weight. But she doesn't believe her endless running and complete lack of resistance training have anything to do with it. And the crazy part is she has a PhD and works in higher education, and she still won't even read peer-reviewed studies about the advantages of strength training for people trying to lose body fat. So I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can say that will change her mind.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I think the point that gets missed, because of the trendy "lift all the weights" stuff, is that it completely and totally depends on your goals. I may not get it at all, but there are some women who do not want to be strong (seriously, I have had women tell me this) and don't care at all about body fat percentages. They just want to be good runners. And even though I don't understand it, I can respect it. They have different goals than I do, and that's fine.

But there are women (a lot of them) who are running because they think running, in and of itself, burns fat. And the second you try to tell them that they could burn fat a lot more efficiently by eating at a deficit and getting really strong by lifting heavy weights, they get defensive, and they don't want to hear it. I used to be the same way. I had to learn through experience, so I have stopped trying to convince anyone of something they don't want to believe. I have a friend who runs marathons even though she admittedly hates running and says she only does it for exercise. She is nearly 30% body fat and is struggling to lose weight. But she doesn't believe her endless running and complete lack of resistance training have anything to do with it. And the crazy part is she has a PhD and works in higher education, and she still won't even read peer-reviewed studies about the advantages of strength training for people trying to lose body fat. So I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can say that will change her mind.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to give up her running days for strength training. For fear of becoming fatter (not necessary weigh more but fatter)

I think if you do a great amount of cardio w/o strength training, the body might tend to want to shed what it doesn't need. That includes msucle
  • vjohn04
    Options
    But there are women (a lot of them) who are running because they think running, in and of itself, burns fat. And the second you try to tell them that they could burn fat a lot more efficiently by eating at a deficit and getting really strong by lifting heavy weights, they get defensive, and they don't want to hear it. I used to be the same way.

Sometimes repetition is key. I was in this situation with someone today. One day the light bulb will go off.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    But there are women (a lot of them) who are running because they think running, in and of itself, burns fat. And the second you try to tell them that they could burn fat a lot more efficiently by eating at a deficit and getting really strong by lifting heavy weights, they get defensive, and they don't want to hear it. I used to be the same way.

Sometimes repetition is key. I was in this situation with someone today. One day the light bulb will go off.

Or results. Your progress has been incredible
  • vjohn04
    Options
    Thanks, bud! Much appreciated.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think if you do a great amount of cardio w/o strength training, the body might tend to want to shed what it doesn't need. That includes msucle

That's why you convince your body that you need the muscle by continuing lift weights and don't eat at too heavy a deficit so your body doesn't get desperate.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

That's why you convince your body that you need the muscle by continuing lift weights and don't eat at too heavy a deficit so your body doesn't get desperate.

Right. I think that was the main point of the article.
    I've sort of wondered about this as I've seen lady friends do massive amounts of cardio and get frustrated because they are on the gym for 2 hours at a shot. Just doing cardio and some token BS lifts so they can say "I lift weights".

Ironically, I've ADDED running to my schedule. As while I do super setting with weights etc.. I don't do anything that's good calorie burner. Plus I sort of want to become a better runner.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who dislike cardio and cardio dislikes me - and after years of not budging any weight despite cardio (though admittedly I was never a serious runner), I have now shifted to NROF4W - but when I am told that on recovery days I should not do any intense cardio, I must say I feel guilty, like there are a thousand little shocked voices in my head, whispering "what, no cardio"? Is it indeed okay to do only lifting and no cardio at all? or some amount of cardio on the non lifting days is actually advisable, if it is kept at a low-key level?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Just speaking from my own experience. Diet is the main contributor to fat loss(while lifting), not really cardio. But I find it difficult to eat what I want and still stay in my macros if I don't do cardio. Lifting doesn't add the caloric burn necessary to do that. At least not on this site's measurements (that brings up another question of how many calories real heavy lifting burns Especially squats and deads).

I'll do light cardio after legs to help combat soreness for the next few days. I have a hard time walking if I don't do something to get the blood going.

I try to run because there are a few very steep hikes I do that require cardiovascular fitness that running/cardio provides.

I think it's fine to do light cardio on recovery days. I think it's not advised if you go full on intense cardio.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I am struggling myself with MFP logging - it seesm to calculate my calories at a near starvation level, my lifting workout counts for zilch calories (or near zilch) and I am told it overstates cardio - so I guess I have to take all numbers with a pinch of salt (which if I log in, will surely show my sodium intake as too high!!) - and hope that the process of logging will add to increased compliance.