Pace - Advice needed

Options
Nijo1821
Nijo1821 Posts: 22 Member
Hi

Just wonder if anyone has any advice. Tonight I completed w5d1 of the c25k. I found w4d3 really tough but decided to plough ahead. I was surprised when I got to the 5 mins on each run tonight and didnt need to stop. The difference tonight was that my hubby and kids were with me so I was running ahead and back to them but I felt like I was doing great. When I finished and checked my pace on my app it was16:10 min/mile compared with 13:04min/mile previously. I really enjoyed tonights slower pace and didnt feel like I was going to pass out but is that too slow? I was beginning to get disheartened at the other pace but feel maybe this pace is like a snails pace!! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• resilient86
    Options
    I'm also curious! Week 5 looks daunting.
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am still a novice with respect to running but I think the pace that allows you to finish the run is the correct one. If you felt better with the slower pace stick with it. I am told speed will come in time. Endurance over speed. :smile:
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There is no pace that is too slow. As long as you were running, time doesn't matter. (: Speed will come naturally after you've built up time/distance.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just wonder if anyone has any advice. Tonight I completed w5d1 of the c25k. I found w4d3 really tough but decided to plough ahead. I was surprised when I got to the 5 mins on each run tonight and didnt need to stop. The difference tonight was that my hubby and kids were with me so I was running ahead and back to them but I felt like I was doing great. When I finished and checked my pace on my app it was16:10 min/mile compared with 13:04min/mile previously. I really enjoyed tonights slower pace and didnt feel like I was going to pass out but is that too slow? I was beginning to get disheartened at the other pace but feel maybe this pace is like a snails pace!! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!! This is how you should be running! Great job!

Hold to this pace: you'll enjoy the program, get through it in no time and speed up again very, very soon.
  • Nijo1821
    Nijo1821 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow now. If I get the 8 mins u will hear me cheering wherever you are:laugh:
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have just completed Week 6 today. I find a steady even pace works best and if that pace is slow and steady there is nothing wrong with that. If we were all speed runners, we wouldn't have started this Couch to 5K program to begin with, right?
    The 20 minute run in Week 5 was honestly a killer for me. It was dreadfully hot here and, although I tried going at 7:30 am, my mp3 player quit before half way and I struggled without the distraction of music. That being said I did the 25 minute run for week 6 today with no problems. The weather was cooler and less humid and I was in town on flatter ground. So don't get discouraged if you have a bad run because the next true test could be great!
    Keep on running everyone!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Its my experience that a crummy run is generally followed by an awesome one.
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I run with my friend and my pace is quicker than hers as I used to run regularly a few years ago so am building myself back up. As I keep telling her, if you think you are going as slow as you can go, slow down. I'm a firm believer in distance over pace, certainly to begin with. Once you are at the stage where you can run for 30 minutes continuously then your pace will improve naturally and before you know it you are completing more distance in the same time. When i first started running I was completing a 5k in around 36 mins and without making any effort with my pace other than running regularly I was managing to run the 5k in around 28 minutes on a hilly route.

Keep doing what you're doing. A happy runner is more likely to finish the programme and continue forwards.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Iv just finished week one ive been averaging 9.30min/mile am i going too fast? Xox
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Iv just finished week one ive been averaging 9.30min/mile am i going too fast? Xox

Probably. How do you feel during/after the runs?
  • Cazzyxo
    Options
    First and second day of week one was fine. Third i really struggled!x
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    First and second day of week one was fine. Third i really struggled!x

Sounds like you are going too fast. I looked back at my records and my first week was around a 12 min/mile pace. Now 9:30-10 is my easy pace (my, how things change the more you run!).
  • Cazzyxo
    Options
    Ill try slow down a tad then thanks. Totally got to be commited now as iv splashed out on running shoes!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Or slow it down lots. I was a 20+ minute mile almost all the way through the program. A 13 minute mile is now my easy pace.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The running shoes do make it official doesn't it. Can't quit now, gotta earn those $150 shoes! :)
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The running shoes do make it official doesn't it. Can't quit now, gotta earn those $150 shoes! :)
    Sometimes the lure of my new kicks and my cute crops are all that get me up in the morning.