C25k to Half-Marathon training?

Options
ennuifreezone
ennuifreezone Posts: 20 Member
I'm only on week 6 of c25k now, but a coworker is trying to convince me to train for a half-marathon in October. It's about 19 weeks away. I was planning on moving into the bridge to 10k when I was done with this program, and I'm feeling like 19 weeks is not enough time to prepare for a half. Most of the ones I've found are 12 weeks, so I guess technically it could work, but I am a pretty new runner. Has anyone gone straight from this program to a half-marathon training program? Did it work out, or was it too much?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It *could* be done. It *has* been done. But most recommendations I've seen are for about a year out, after you've gotten a 10k or two under your belt. I'd recommend the book "Train Like a Mother" for their discussion about what it would take.
  • ennuifreezone
    ennuifreezone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks, I will try to track that book down! I honestly didn't want to, but I didn't know if because I was just being scared or if it really is in fact unwise. :D I'd rather do a 10k first.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vardaemi, it "could" be done, and I know one person who did it successfully. But the thing is, you'd have to commit to letting yourself walk. You know yourself best, would you expect to run 13.1 in 19 weeks? If you'd demand/push/expect that of yourself, I'd say no, you'll likely push yourself to injury. If you can casually and non-competitively train for your best, fully allowing walking in places to be enough, then you'll be fine. Trust yourself.

My disclaimer is that I say all this never having trained for a half, so this is my opinion and not fact or even experienced opinion. My longest mileage is 6mi, and I started officially with c25k in December. My first half will be next May.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I graduated in February and I'm planning a half in January. I could probably be conditioned to do one in the fall.
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    I graduated in February and I'm planning a half in January. I could probably be conditioned to do one in the fall.

Good luck! No doubt you'll be ready! Here's hoping for a WARM January day. 40's is my favorite I think :).
  • likitisplit
    Options

Good luck! No doubt you'll be ready! Here's hoping for a WARM January day. 40's is my favorite I think :).

I'm in Georgia. Running shorts over running tights and a fleece. Better than these hot summer days. :)
  • jessiekanga
    Options

I'm in Georgia. Running shorts over running tights and a fleece. Better than these hot summer days. :)

Sounds wonderful! I'm in New England, it can be running shorts over tights, or a parka, ski mask and hand and toe warmers might be required, one just never knows:)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway has a half marathon training program that falls along the lines of what you might be looking for.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

You will need to complete the C25K program first, as his training is based around someone who can run 3 miles continuously. It is a 19 week program, and is a 4 day training week with one of those days being dedicated to a complete walk. He lists a recommended run-walk-run ration for your long runs based on your average pace.