FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
166023_537679686288241_1900206575_n.jpg

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!

Gonna dress for the park today and hope my husband gets his portion of red-tape & waiting-in-line done in time to come relieve me of lil girl, so I can run or walk (depending on the heat). Also, gonna try to send him with son to taekwondo tonight, so maybe I can get something done at that time.

Tomorrow's a big day: son doesn't have school (so I'll have both kids), I have to drop off the (yet incomplete) pre-school application by the deadline at some place I've never been (better map it tonight)--hopefully my son can help be my interpreter there, and then the end-of-school program at night. :tongue:
  • Hurdisnie1
    Hurdisnie1 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Morning...getting my day going last day of 8th/junior high for my baby...time flies. Graduation tomorrow... Wow

I Will check back have a good Tuesday
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I got off work yesterday morning and took about a two hour nap before talking to my sister, who offered to take the two oldest kiddos for a week. So, we all got ready and headed over there. I stayed for a bit and got some pool time in. I don't track my calories when I go there because there's always so much food, so I try to only eat small portions of each. The youngest kiddo and I came back home and took a nap. Hubby came home and fixed us some grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner and we visited for a bit before calling it a night. I was zapped.

Hoping to get a workout in today, but we'll see. Today is hubby's birthday, so I have to make a trip to the store for groceries for dinner and dessert. I think Redbox will be another stop - they have a couple movies coming out today that I really want to see! :smile:
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Heading out to Nia class. Weather has cooled down and windy so not going to swim for a few days.
  • PamHealthMission
    PamHealthMission Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone and I like the poster for today!

Actually, today's "gardening" minutes were working our wooded area by pulling, lifting, throwing tree debris plus a lot of walking back and forth across about 3 acres.

Toni - we planted squash, cantaloupes, watermelon, red skin potatoes, Thompson grapes, bell peppers (not doing so great), okra, white onion, peach tree, apple tree, pear tree, plum tree, pecan tree, and other oak type of trees. Some of this requires frequent tending more-so than others. My actual veggie garden is about 20 ft by 30 ft. I say plant squash...yummm. We've been able to harvest some and grilled slices. I've been able to pick a peach one or twice a day for snacking...lol.
    Congrats to your son for completing Jr. High School and on to High School!!:happy:

Marla - I saw that you got your Nia class all done...WTG!

Liz - you lucky lady being able to send two kids to your sisters for a week. I am expecting to have our three oldest grand boys down for two weeks in August. The grand baby will have to stay with his parents...:laugh:
    Happy Birthday to your DH!! Have a great workout and a fun time celebrating his special day!!:drinker: We've been renting from Redbox lately, so, what movies are you wanting to view?

Sherry - enjoy your day and I read where you got in some fitness already.

Read ya'll later...:laugh:
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Toni - you had asked about warm & healthy pasta ideas. Below are three shared by a couple of my friends almost 7 yrs ago...lol!

A Healthy Pasta Alternative

Craving pasta? Well, even though you've stepped up your workout routine, it's not time to start carb loading yet! I've swapped your usual pasta for a low-carb and highly nutritious version made with zucchini.

Veggie Pasta With Italian Chicken Sausage

Ingredients:

2 small zucchini
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 garlic clove, diced
    1 cup diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 pound cooked Italian chicken sausage, sliced into small pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste

Instructions:
    Using a vegetable peeler and turning the zucchini as you go, slice the zucchini into ribbons.
    In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté zucchini in 1 tablespoon of oil until it's soft and the edges are clear.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in another pan, over medium heat, and add garlic.
    Saute for a minute, then add the tomatoes and oregano.
    Simmer for a few minutes, then stir in the sausage.
    Spoon sauce over the zucchini. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
    Makes 2 servings

Nutrition information per serving: 309 calories, 29 g total fat, 9 g carbohydrate, 28 g protein, 324 mg sodium.

Broccoli w/ bow-tie (fanfarelle?) pasta

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp butter and add a little EVOO. Let the butter melt then add about 4 cloves of minced garlic (more or less depending on how much you like garlic). Add zest of 1 lemon plus fresh lemon juice. Put heat on low and slowly saute.

Steam some fresh broccoli. Add a little salt while steaming. Add steamed broccoli to the large skillet. Add pasta. Add a little more EVOO and toss. Add freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Fresh, crisp and healthy side dish!

Pasta With Shrimp and Broccoli

Makes 2 servings **so double/triple accordingly!

Ingredients
    2 cups whole-wheat ziti, penne, or other tubular pasta (for 1,600- and 1,800-calorie plans, use 3 cups)
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 garlic clove, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    5 ounces peeled and de-veined shrimp (about 15 large or 24 medium shrimp)
    1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (optional)

Directions
    Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, warm 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic or garlic powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shrimp. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the shrimp turn opaque. Add to the drained pasta.

Add the broccoli and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the skillet. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until just tender. Add to the pasta and toss to mix. Sprinkle with the basil (if using).

Per serving: 339 calories, 11g fat, 41g carbohydrates, 163mg sodium, 9g fiber, 23g protein, 1g sugar
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Should have looked later...I left class after 15 min because of my back ugh!

But...I did swim for 45 min when I got home, my husband turned the heat up so while it was cool and windy I was warm..,of course my electric bill will be a fortune!
  • Hurdisnie1
    Hurdisnie1 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Pam delish...that's a farmers market your growing..that's great..I only have room for a few things..

So today 110 squats and 1 min plank....then I did FB 10min an workout so it wasn't to bad everyday going to try a push a little more.
  • PamHealthMission
    Options
    Toni - you are welcome. I am impressed with your squats and plank!