when do you shake?

Options
bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,837 Member
Ok, so I haven't started lifting at a gym yet due to finances. I spend most of my exercise time doing cardio, but I also do the 30DS Jillian DVD and increase the weights I'm using every time I do it (and NOT 30 days in a row either, spreading out the days so it's more like a true strength training session)... but I digress.

Mainly, I'm curious when you all use a protein shake. Right now, I only use them on days that I work out. Do you still use them on your days off as well?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting to take them right before my workout. Wasn't planing on doing it on days off.

I should say I also have a ritual were I only drink chocolate milk after a workout or run. Setting up little rituals and rules for me seems to help keep me focused.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have them for breakfast most days because I have a hard time eating breakfast but need some nutrition. I also have one if I am low on calories and/or protein at the end of the day.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I have them every day for breakfast and sometimes again after supper if I haven't met my proper intake.

I'm getting quite creative with what I put in them using things such as the left over coffee in my cup and sometimes ice cream too.

IIFIYM................
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Same as Quirky, typically have mine as/with my breakfast.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake or protein bar if I'm low on protein for the day. Whether it's a lifting day or not :smile:
    I try to get 100+ grams per day because my LBM is around 101 lbs and I go by the one gram per lb of LBM "rule". Lots of days I get plenty of protein through other foods, but lots of days not.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I drink one after lifting every other day. I also usually have one every morning (either a shake or in my oatmeal) to make sure I keep my protein intake where I need it (sometimes I need one at night, too, if I wasn't eating properly though out the day).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I add one scoop to milk and keep that in the fridge to use in my coffee as a just in case. Some days I do not really need it as I exceed my protein requirement but it lets me eat more freely based on preference as I do not have to worry about getting enough protein via my meals.

At the end of the day, protein shakes are not necessary if you are meeting your protein requirements via food. There is no difference in protein requirements between lifting v non lifting days.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i usually drink my protein shake in the morning for breakfast.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only time you "need" a protein shake is when you don't feel like meeting the day's protein requirements through regular food alone.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Usually post-workout. I've read some pretty convincing arguments that you need to consume the protein BEFORE you work out to make sure it is digested and available in your bloodstream to build muscle AFTER your workout, but I tend to lose my lunch if I eat to close to hitting the gym so I just wait until afterwards.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pretty much never. Only if I really failed on protein intake for the day, will I need to supplement.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    when I need more protein and I don't feel like cooking or eating meat.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I get out of the shower or come in from the rain...

:)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Usually post-workout. I've read some pretty convincing arguments that you need to consume the protein BEFORE you work out to make sure it is digested and available in your bloodstream to build muscle AFTER your workout, but I tend to lose my lunch if I eat to close to hitting the gym so I just wait until afterwards.

According to the Aragon/Schoenfeld study done this year (and posted here a few days ago for discussion), it helps to do both, but primarily before a workout. There's about a four hour or so window before and after your workout to consume 0.4-0.5g of protein per Kilogram of LBM.

The advantage you gain by doing your protein before a workout is it elevates your blood and amino acid levels for up to two hours after your workout. So it should at least boost your performance while lifting. (Of course, this is if I read the article right.)

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

From this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872189-alan-aragon-and-brad-schoenfeld-on-nutrient-timing
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    The advantage you gain by doing your protein before a workout is it elevates your blood and amino acid levels for up to two hours after your workout. So it should at least boost your performance while lifting. (Of course, this is if I read the article right.)

you didn't
  • jonnythan
    Options
    "With that said, high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g [53,84,85]. For example, someone with 70 kg of LBM would consume roughly 28–35 g protein in both the pre- and post exercise meal. Exceeding this would be have minimal detriment if any, whereas significantly under-shooting or neglecting it altogether would not maximize the anabolic response.

Due to the transient anabolic impact of a protein-rich meal and its potential synergy with the trained state, pre- and post-exercise meals should not be separated by more than approximately 3–4 hours, given a typical resistance training bout lasting 45–90 minutes. If protein is delivered within particularly large mixed-meals (which are inherently more anticatabolic), a case can be made for lengthening the interval to 5–6 hours."
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

you didn't

Could you elaborate what I'm incorrect on?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i was only having them on workout days...then that progressed to having one every day haha!

i just love them!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

you didn't

You're speaking in absolute terms as though the article made concrete pre/post workout nutrition recommendations. The conclusion of the article on that issue was a big shrug of the shoulders.
  • jonnythan
    Options

you didn't

You're speaking in absolute terms as though the article made concrete pre/post workout nutrition recommendations. The conclusion of the article on that issue was a big shrug of the shoulders.

The conclusion was that you SHOULD be consuming protein in that window, but the evidence is not 100% ironclad. They do make specific recommendations and basically say it would be silly to ignore them.