gluten free, wheat free, non fat totally delicious bread

Options
A friend of mine gave me this recipe. She's from Ireland and her mother's been making this kind of soda bread for years and years. Tried it today and it's so delicious and low calorie, I have to share it. So few ingredients!

500g porridge oats (finely milled)
500ml low fat natural yoghurt
half teaspoon salt
2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda

Mix the oats, salt and bicarb together. Then add the yoghurt. Put the mixture into a greased 1lb loaf tin. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 40 minutes. That's it! It is so simple, so delicious and so good for you.

She said for variety you could add 2 grated apples and cinnamon or seeds such as caraway, pumpkin, poppy on the top. But I just made it plain and it's really good. I ate some warm from the oven with some sliced roast beef and mustard and it was amazing, then later I toasted a piece and had it with peanut butter and jam (jelly) and that was really good too. Who knew porridge and yoghurt could be so versatile?!

Replies

• WonderCort
    WonderCort Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Looks great! Thank you!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank You I am going to try this very soon.
  • TendaiMa
    TendaiMa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome. Will have to try soon. Thanks for sharing.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    im making this soon! yum!
  • NewFitMe_2013
    Options
    bump
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bubbliemae
    Options
    Yum, I can't wait to try this !!!!!
  • nataliestead4
    nataliestead4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this today since it seems my biggest calorie intake is from bread. I just can't cope without my toast on a morning
  • norakcarolan
    norakcarolan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, sounds yum!
  • nataliestead4
    nataliestead4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi again everyone,

I have been wanting to try this recipe although I've been unable to buy the finely milled oaks listed. Doe anyone know if I can use normal porridge oaks if I ground them myself?
  • sarawilgos1988
    sarawilgos1988 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me this recipe. She's from Ireland and her mother's been making this kind of soda bread for years and years. Tried it today and it's so delicious and low calorie, I have to share it. So few ingredients!

500g porridge oats (finely milled)
    500ml low fat natural yoghurt
    half teaspoon salt
    2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda

Mix the oats, salt and bicarb together. Then add the yoghurt. Put the mixture into a greased 1lb loaf tin. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 40 minutes. That's it! It is so simple, so delicious and so good for you.

She said for variety you could add 2 grated apples and cinnamon or seeds such as caraway, pumpkin, poppy on the top. But I just made it plain and it's really good. I ate some warm from the oven with some sliced roast beef and mustard and it was amazing, then later I toasted a piece and had it with peanut butter and jam (jelly) and that was really good too. Who knew porridge and yoghurt could be so versatile?!

Is this on the database? If so whihc one is it?? Thanksss