Keto & sleep...

Options
JisatsuHoshi
JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
Does anyone have issues falling asleep at night during keto? *looks at clock* 2:43 am... Ugh :(

Replies

• WalkingAway2013
    Options
    A few times its been hard to fall asleep at night but for me it seems worse during the night if I wake up to pee or the dogs start barking I can't fall back to sleep and waking up for the day at 3/4am isn't any fun :grumble:
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    When I initially started Keto, I had a really difficult time getting to sleep. It was horrible. Took a good few weeks to shake that. Now I sleep like a baby. :)
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I started to sleep better, because I lost weight and didn't have the nasal blockage or sleep apnea or whatever it was anymore.
  • Avy1976
    Avy1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some people say at first it causes an increase in energy and therefore some may have a hard time falling asleep at night. Most people recommend eating some carbs before bed (I wouldn't) and that seems to help.

Also, most people seem to report that once you're body has adapted, the opposite is true, you fall asleep faster, you sleep better, and wake up more rested.

I'd like to sign up for that, because I've been a terrible sleeper all my life, and no diet changes, lifestyle changes, prescription, over the counter or all natural supplements have ever helped my sleeping disorder. :P
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I keep getting up at night ever since being in deep ketosis. Dunno if there is any real connection, but I don't want to take any pills... :-/
  • courtneymaybe
    Options
    I've definitely noticed an inability to fall asleep as easily, but a small nightly dose of melatonin has pretty much solved the problem for me.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options
    Dont consume fats after dinner meal i've learned now. Since fats is being used as energy on keto consuming it later will be like drinking coffee before bed... Bad lol
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to have this, might be a fluke but I started taking a calcium and vit D tablet just before bed and it fixed it for me. Could have just been a coincidence but if you see any cheap ones going at the store maybe give it a go.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options
    Just went out an bought some Melatonin from GNC... More supplements ugh...
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    In keto I am way more sensitive to caffeine.
  • Ketolife
    Ketolife Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I was always the person that once it hit 9 pm I was more than ready to go to bed. Now I'm having to force myself to go to bed. I'm just not tired. It's driving me crazy. I took an OTC sleep pill last night. Now i'm groggy all day.