That first game that made you a gamer.

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
I am a gamer in ever sense of the word. Despite the fact that there are a lot of great games out there I wasn't always a gamer. I was just a person that played the occasional game. I though pong was a neat novelty but it wasn't until one day when everything changed.

My parents brought home the original Nintendo Entertainment system. There was Mario brothers, Gyromite, Wrecking Crew and Duck Hunt which I played and enjoyed each of them but none of them were the game that made me a gamer.

It was just so fitting that this game was the only game that had a cartridge made of gold(I know it was just a gold color but let me be poetic here, I'm feeling nostalgic) "The Legend of Zelda". I know without a doubt that this was the game that got me hooked. I thought it was just so amazing that the character that you started with could grow and change over time.

You started with nothing but that wooden sword in the first cave on screen one and before you knew it you were off and exploring and unlike Mario where you journey to one side of the screen was irreversible this game would actually reward you for searching all over the place for more and more stuff. Sure since then there have been your Final Fantasy games and others which I think are better but nothing will ever make me forget that day.

After I played "The Legend of Zelda" I was changed no more was I simply a person who enjoyed the occasional game. I was a gamer and I have never looked back. Getting that NES was the best thing my parents ever did for me. It got me through some rough times in my life and it made the good times better. It is part of the reason I work with computers to this day.

I was just wondering if anyone else can actually point to that one game that still brings back the nostalgia. What game was it that got you hooking on gaming. Perhaps it wasn't just a single game for you. Perhaps it was a system of a genre. No matter what the case I am interesting in hearing your story.

Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Elite on a BBC B !!!
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sonic 2 on Sega Genesis. I was probably 5 or 6 when I first started playing. Then graduated to Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3, many games and systems afterwards...

Been gaming about my whole life :laugh:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    batman beyond : return of the joker. my best friend and i would play for hours and hours, adding in our own commentary and laughing our *kitten* off. oh and tomb raider 2! a favorite to play during sleepovers. once i screamed so loud when wolves jumped out at me i woke up my friends parents. good times!

FFX was my first real 100% finished everything in the game play through. had my own system by then instead of bumming off friends. i remember rushing home from school to play as much as possible until i went to bed. i would do all my homework in school so nothing would prevent me from playing all afternoon. i cried, i laughed, i gasped, i have a special place in my heart for the final fantasy series.

hah, and no one talked about gaming then! it was my dirty little secret!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not an "old" school gamer by any means. I'm 30 and played my first game, an mmo, at 21. Prior I really hadn't been into the Nintendo like some of my friends. When I was 21 I met my now husband. In a prior marriage his playing had gotten to such a problem in their marriage that he sold his account on a game for what was then substantial (around 1K) for an online accnt. He came back from best buy one day with a surprise. See our relationship started out long distance, and he thought playing would be a good way for us to stay in touch daily. SO he explained if I didn't like it, he wouldn't play (because it takes up so much of your time) Luckily, I did.

It was Dark Age of Camelot and NOTHING ever seems as good or right to me. I don't game hop easily, I'm pretty loyal. I played COH for a while, tried WoW and was disgusted....now I'm on Jade Dynasty where they try to bleed you dry for cash (pwe)

If I thought the population was there and my friends were there I'd be back on DAOC in a second!
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    My first one was Super Mario Bros on NES. The NES and SNES are hands down best consoles ever to me.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez...

We had an old ZX Spectrum. (I still have haunting dreams of the modem noises.)

One of the games I remember absolutely adoring was Rainbow Islands. Also Slightly Magic. <3

There was also some kind of D&D type game I can't remember the name of. Going through different rooms. I don't even remember the premise (escape the dungeon?) but it kicked *kitten*.

Then from there a NES and then a Playstation, complete with Final Fantasy 7 in the bundle.

Those were the good old days.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Adventure on the Atari 2600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4u3EqGZys
  • EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to Asteroids in 1979 and I've been a gamer since. Even though it was such a simple game, I admired the way the asteroids blew up into chunks. Yeah, I know it sounds pathetic given the graphics of games now but I was hooked after that. Other early games I loved were Missile Command, Defender, Tempest, and Robotron.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Asteroids as well. Atari 2600, Vic 20, Commodore 64, NES and on and on. I used to live on arcade games.

Almost ashamed to admit but I probably put in 50+ hours into E.T. on the 2600. I played the heck out of everything and used to layout game ideas.

E.T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pzdPLfy9Y

Talk about terrible, but I played the heck out of it. :)
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Either Contra or Dragon Warrior.
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you are talking abt old game skool I would say Atari!

if u are talking abt online gaming! first game was Counter-Strike :D damn I used to luv this game LOL!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I am a gamer in ever sense of the word. Despite the fact that there are a lot of great games out there I wasn't always a gamer. I was just a person that played the occasional game. I though pong was a neat novelty but it wasn't until one day when everything changed.

My parents brought home the original Nintendo Entertainment system. There was Mario brothers, Gyromite, Wrecking Crew and Duck Hunt which I played and enjoyed each of them but none of them were the game that made me a gamer.

It was just so fitting that this game was the only game that had a cartridge made of gold(I know it was just a gold color but let me be poetic here, I'm feeling nostalgic) "The Legend of Zelda". I know without a doubt that this was the game that got me hooked. I thought it was just so amazing that the character that you started with could grow and change over time.

You started with nothing but that wooden sword in the first cave on screen one and before you knew it you were off and exploring and unlike Mario where you journey to one side of the screen was irreversible this game would actually reward you for searching all over the place for more and more stuff. Sure since then there have been your Final Fantasy games and others which I think are better but nothing will ever make me forget that day.

After I played "The Legend of Zelda" I was changed no more was I simply a person who enjoyed the occasional game. I was a gamer and I have never looked back. Getting that NES was the best thing my parents ever did for me. It got me through some rough times in my life and it made the good times better. It is part of the reason I work with computers to this day.

I was just wondering if anyone else can actually point to that one game that still brings back the nostalgia. What game was it that got you hooking on gaming. Perhaps it wasn't just a single game for you. Perhaps it was a system of a genre. No matter what the case I am interesting in hearing your story.

This exactly, except it was Mario, Zelda and Megaman.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't think I became hard core until I played FF12. I love the final fantasy games, dragon quest series' and am now play Ni No Kuni. Yeah, I played Mario, donkey kong country, etc. quite regularly and with an older brother, I've played every system that has come out and countless games, but the JRPGs are what bumped me up to gamer nerd mode! :0D I also like tactics games, and the Zelda's, of course. FF12 was another world lol

Edited for typo and to let y'all know to add me if you're pickin up what I'm puttin down :0)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Can't remember which was first, but I remember playing Chuckie Egg on the BBC Micro and Donkey Kong, as well as Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers on Nintendo Handheld - we're talking mid '80's! Aaah the memories....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sonic on the Mega Drive :)
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The first game that had me spending hours in a drooling torpor was Castle Wolfenstein. I got my start playing the early 80s arcade games though, Vanguard was my favorite but I spent a lot of quality time with the games from that era previously mentioned upthread.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Probably something like old school Mario, Pacman, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, and then some old shareware stuff that my dad got from his buddies.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the exact date, but I do remember the day when we first got a Nintendo. The excitement, the impatience to get home and hook it up. Once I started playing Mario, I was hooked.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Zelda. No doubt about it. No question. Zelda. I remember playing and playing and playing.....
  • NostalgicGraeme
    NostalgicGraeme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Elite on the BBC B!